For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
metal track treatment
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Joined: June 08, 2015
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 - 07:22 AM UTC
Can someone tell me the name and make of the chemical that is used to age and rust metal tracks such as fruil tracks.
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Joined: October 04, 2006
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 - 08:04 AM UTC
There are several on the market now. MOst of the big model paint manufactures offer their version of it. Originally it was called Blacken-it. Sold in model railroad stores. I'm fairly sure AK, AMMO, Wilder to name a few sell it. I know that's not much information but perhaps it'll get you started.

You also have the option of just painting them, which is what i've done with my last few sets.
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Joined: September 22, 2016
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 1,390 posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 - 08:36 AM UTC
I usualy mix equal amounts of copper sulphate(bluestone) and sodium chloride(salt), add water, stirr and immerse the tracks in the solution.Some shaking helps bubbles in escaping.
Depending on solution strength 5 to 10 minutes are enough for beautifull rust.
Once happy with the colour, I rinse the tracks and let them dry overnight.