_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Bastonge Dio with Jumbo
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 08:54 PM UTC
Hi All,
Here are a few pics of my latest Dio in progress,
The three figures on there are from DML's 101st AB in Bastogne,There will be two German POW's coming through the door(Verlinden??) and Tamiyas Jumbo Sherman will be on the road some where.
The snow is my mums baking powder,walls and rubble are plaster of paris and the floor boards are popsicle sticks.
All comments welcome

Florre
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 980 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 11:46 PM UTC
Looking very good. I like the form of your base-board - very original. This form, the movement of the figures and probably the sherman will attract the viewers attention to the door with the pows - make sure they look good
Keep us updated!

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 01:12 AM UTC
Looking really nice Andy, any chance you could post some more pics? I'd really like a look at the figures... Jim

Is the choice of a snow diorama some kind of nostalgia for cold weather?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 10:56 AM UTC
Looking good andy. The snow looks realistic. The baking powder worked well and there is nice tracks left in it!
The walls have an un-natural damage effect. If the larger building was a house, it would have a front window and this would have been an obvious damage area and added a more realistic damaged shape. It looks like big "V"s at the moment. The lower wall has no door or entrance distinguishable ... but this could be explained by the building type. I personally would cut a window into the larger of the two.
If the soldiers are looking for the enemy, it looks weird that 2 of them are searching the small ruins leaving only 1 to check out the obvious hiding position and their backs unguarded. The placing of the Jumbo may make it look differently ... just some thoughts on what is seen now.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 05:52 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys,
PB: Yeah i wasn't to plaesed witht he shape of the ruin etheir but i thought the snow might cover it but it hasn't. I should have said in the first post; I am planning on putting another G.I loading his M1 next to the guy by the door. Thanks for the comment on the window i think may be a bit late at this stage because it has be glued down.

Jim: Hehe na i just love the look of snow in dios. Here are a couple of pics of the figures.

Sorry i don't have any photos of the other two G.Is
German PoW's

Fourth G.I(give me your opinion of him if you think he is right for the scene or not)
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 10:00 PM UTC
Looks great, i think that GI would be perfect, especially if you plan on having him aiming at the POW's, cheers
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:14 PM UTC
Andy - your figures look EXCELLENT - wonderful shading and detail. The snow also looks quite good... my suggestion would be a little color in the snow... perhaps some dirt or soot in certain areas...

Not cas excited about the straight lines of the building damage. A simple fix would be to put some dabs of spackle on the tops of the walls in irregular sizes... this would give you the "jagged" look of real shattered mortar.

Looking to see the finished concept!
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 08:23 PM UTC
thanks for the comments keith and LWF,
I will do that tomorrow keith the spackle should work perfectly, I was planning on adding the dirt and such things to the snow when i put the Jumbo on the base.
 _GOTOTOP