_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-72 In The Islamic State
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 11:21 PM UTC
According to the posting in another thread, the Islamic State has T-72 tanks going up to the A series. But unless they managed to import any, would they have the B1 type? And how is that different externally from the A series?
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 - 12:26 AM UTC
As far as i am aware and i am by no means an expert on the subject, The Syrian army purchased numerous T-72's from the Russians at some point the Albanians came over and started retro fitting them with "ERA" blocks. (these blocks were fitted in a hap-hazard manner as i recall and there is no set pattern as to how they were placed on each vehicle).

It has been reported that some of these T72 have fallen into the hands of Desh (isis) with or without the "ERA" blocks. I would imagine that a similar scenario would apply to the Iraqi army as it has also been noted that some of their M1 Abrams have been captured by this vile organisation, along with Humvees etc
krasnov
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 - 01:53 AM UTC
Islamic state has some T-72AV from syria along M1 and ural variants, they manage to modified some at his workshops here you can find the pics and some post with the history of T-72 in syrian service

http://spioenkop.blogspot.com/search/label/T-72

A lot of weird ideas to model
 _GOTOTOP