_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M24 Chaffee in British service
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 04:35 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
I've just bought Italeri's newest M24 Chaffee and want to make it as a vehicle in British service. Does the kit need any changes to show this accurately ( yes I know theres Uk markings in the kit)?
I've found a couple of blurry B&W pics, and there's a tank named "Trigger Happy" in the Bovington museum. Unfortunately I can only find a front view of this and any other pics would be appreciated.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 05:09 AM UTC
There is one photo of a British M24 in Squadron's "M24 Chaffee in Action" book. It has no stowage or markings that make it distinctively British, other than a number painted on the turret: T-330411, and a British radio antenna mid-turret. The caption says it is undergoing trials at Bovington and " The British received a number of M24a in the closing months of the war, however, it appears that none of these saw combat." Another photo of the same tank from another angle (and other side also marked T-330411) in Chamberlain and Ellis' "British and American Tanks of World War II. No stars or any other markings are visible. Also, there is no mention of combat in this book.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 06:05 AM UTC
The blurred b&w pic that I found was in a tank park in Germany, so we know that they got further than trials, but thanks anyway.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 09:51 AM UTC
Search called off - I've come up with a subject. T441275 'Annie'. The markings indicate the 14th/20th Hussars.
 _GOTOTOP