_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV fire extinguishers
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 03:31 PM UTC
I've seen on some color drawings and illustrations that German AFV fire extinguishers were red. Most modellers seem to paint them the basic hull/body color. Does anybody know which it was, or variously either?
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 03:45 PM UTC
They were painted the hull color of the vehicle, if it is an external item. The Germans painted the interior ones a dark green. Red extinguishers is a US thing.

Hope that helps-
Jeff
752ndTank
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 01:15 PM UTC
Not sure about German fire extinguishers, but US were definitely red. Take a look on my website featuring an M5A1 restoration. One of the photos near the bottom of the page clearly shows the fire extinguisher before the engine and other components have been dropped into place.

http://www.752ndtank.com/fsmmstuart.html

Hope this helps.

Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 02:27 PM UTC
This has been tossed around alot here. I think the color of the extinguisher depended on its mounting (internal) would be the color of the contries normal extinguisher American red German green. Externaly mounted should not stand out and would be the main body color. Now most have a recessed hole in the hull ringed in red (very little) where the fire supression system is triggered from the outside.

Just my two cents
dsmith
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 183 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:34 AM UTC
What about the jacks and other tools on German AFV's?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:29 PM UTC
I know the tools have unpainted wooden handles with bare steel metal parts. As for jacks, I paint them bare metal also, although I may be wrong on this point.
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 01:25 PM UTC
Hello,
I have seen a picture somewhere of three German Fire Extinguishers in unrestored form. One that was externally mounted was dark yellow, while the other two were red and green. All three had the same marking on the canister side. The marking was in the "square thing " on the side. I am not sure what this is exactly but it is molded on most kits fire extinguishers. It is also a seperate piece in any Aber set. The color of that marking is a white background with red writting being the largeest text with a small amount of black writting. In regard to the tools I think it depends on your vehicle. I would say on a new vehicle they could have very well been painted in the vehicle color. Another factor is are the tools original equipment for the vehicle? Such as extra shovels, axes, etc. Such items would most likely be unpainted as would replacement tools. So in the long run I would think unless the vehicle just rolled out of the supply yards it is a distinct possiblity they could be seen either way. One last thing tha adds a neat touch is civilian tools. Shovels would be the most easily spotted. I know that Verlinden included a scoop shovel with I think their Kubelwagen Update.
 _GOTOTOP