_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Jagdpanzer IV Query ...
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 09:01 PM UTC
Are there any external features that would identify a Jagdpanzer IV L/70 as being the 'V' (Vomag) version? From my understanding, this version had only three return rollers per side (as opposed to four), and twin exhaust mufflers (in place of the horizontal type, as fitted to the Pz.Kpfw.IV).
I have a photo of an L/70 with four return rollers and horizontal exhaust muffler ... would this be an early version?
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 09:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Are there any external features that would identify a Jagdpanzer IV L/70 as being the 'V' (Vomag) version? From my understanding, this version had only three return rollers per side (as opposed to four), and twin exhaust mufflers (in place of the horizontal type, as fitted to the Pz.Kpfw.IV).
I have a photo of an L/70 with four return rollers and horizontal exhaust muffler ... would this be an early version?

All Jagdpanzer IV vehicles with the low-silhouette hull, both L/48 and L/70 armed types, were built at Vomag, regardless of whether the vehicle had three or four return rollers. The improvements were added piecemeal over the course of production, so yes, early L/70 armed vehicles could have the muffler and four return rollers. The Panzer IV 70 A with the tall superstructure and standard Panzer IV J chassis was built at Nibelungenwerke.

Quoted Text

put quote text here

ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 1,390 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 09:42 PM UTC
Early:4 return rollers,muffler,all wheels rubber,vent openings on transmission access hatches.
Mid:3 return rollers,early pipe type exhausts(straight pipe),steel wheels in first bogey,vent openings on transmission access hatches.
Late:3 return rollers,late pipe type exhaust(pipe bent at top to prevent water entry),steel wheels in first bogey,no vent openings on transmission access watches.

Gun support also showes differencies from early to late production vehicles.
The logic was easing and speeding up production,while saving material.
 _GOTOTOP