_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Hobby Boss DAK 222 on Russian front instead
vonMarshall
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 192 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 04:58 AM UTC
Quick question
I have the Hobby Boss DAK 222 in my stash but want to make a 222 in grey with Russian front markings.
I just wanted to make sure they are the same and all I would needc to source would be suitable decals.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 11:33 AM UTC
Noel:
Hi! OK, the simple answer is... the -222 was standard equipment for all fronts and armies (wherever mech units were used) - so was seen in Poland, the Low Countries, France, the Balkan and Greece, North Africa, Italy, and of course the East Front. And served throughout the war right to Berlin.

The detailed part of your question is a bit more complex, and relates to which kits may best be used. The -222 was produced in a few different versions - identified by vision-slit covers and roof configurations mostly. So, it helps to look at theater pictures to better match production types and kits. And of course the gear and external stowage and fittings differed over time and theater, too. Pics are your salvation! But YES, you can model a -222 virtually anywhere the panzer went!

And specifically, the -222 went east in 1941, and initially wore dunkelgrau during Barbarossa.

Cheers! Bob
vonMarshall
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 03:01 AM UTC
Thanks Bob

Looking at the kits, it would appear that the DAK Hobby Boss is identical to the Mid version apart from an extra strogae box on the left hand side in place of the jack.

I shall have a quick rummage to see if Hobbyboss have the jack on one of the sprues anyway so all I would need to do is leave the extra storage off and bolt on the jack.

I would like to find some Pz Div Goering decals for it and all the evidence I can find suggests this would have been grey in '41/'42 so it should all come together.

As an aside I found this photo of a mid 222 in Tunisia and it looks to be still be in grey. I know they were shipped in grey and then painted in the field but I can believe that some would have gone into the field unpainted.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/kylarsroleplay/images/0/0e/Sd.Kfz.222.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20171229001510

marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 06:01 AM UTC
IIRC HG was a Flak unit in 41/42. Don't think they had Sdkfz 222 at that time. A Panzer Division during or after Barbarossa would be a good bet.

Regards,

Marc
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 07:54 AM UTC
Noel;

I suggest, for a "Barbarossa" all-grey -222 that you stick with one of the established Panzer Div - most -222 were assigned to dedicated recon units of PzD during the earlier part of the war.

And yes, all the early hardware sent to N. Africa went "grey" - and much of it served for weeks and even months in that - or vaguely "painted" in mud-over-DG. The mud, of course, actually offers us modelers some seriously great opportunity to play with weathering (which case also applies to Barbarossa vehicles, which got very dirty and muddy during the summer and fall of 1941...). Some of 5th Leicht-Div managed to get re-painted in Italian sand early on, which also offers some opportunity for "panzer art", as these field paint jobs were no sort of complete, high-quality work!

Of course, a -222 in fall or early winter 1941 went from dirt-over-DG to more mud and eventually white-wash over DG...

Jack, stowage, appropriate PzD emblems, and you should easily be on your way to a Barbarossa -222! The HB kit itself is, IMO, pretty nice...

Cheers! Bob
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 09:15 AM UTC
Archer makes some nice transfers.
https://www.archertransfers.com/

Images for 41/42 show Panzer division unit markings in yellow and tactical markings in white.
vonMarshall
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 08:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

IIRC HG was a Flak unit in 41/42. Don't think they had Sdkfz 222 at that time. A Panzer Division during or after Barbarossa would be a good bet.

Regards,

Marc

Thanks Marc I spent a lot of time online last night and would have to agree with you. I can find no evidence of a HG 222 at that stage.

Quoted Text

Noel;

I suggest, for a "Barbarossa" all-grey -222 that you stick with one of the established Panzer Div - most -222 were assigned to dedicated recon units of PzD during the earlier part of the war.

And yes, all the early hardware sent to N. Africa went "grey" - and much of it served for weeks and even months in that - or vaguely "painted" in mud-over-DG. The mud, of course, actually offers us modelers some seriously great opportunity to play with weathering (which case also applies to Barbarossa vehicles, which got very dirty and muddy during the summer and fall of 1941...). Some of 5th Leicht-Div managed to get re-painted in Italian sand early on, which also offers some opportunity for "panzer art", as these field paint jobs were no sort of complete, high-quality work!

Of course, a -222 in fall or early winter 1941 went from dirt-over-DG to more mud and eventually white-wash over DG...

Jack, stowage, appropriate PzD emblems, and you should easily be on your way to a Barbarossa -222! The HB kit itself is, IMO, pretty nice...

Cheers! Bob

Thanks Bob. I actually opened up the box last night and discovered on the back of the painting guide that Hobby Boss have actually provided all the relevant decals for a Panzergrau DAK 222!

My main reason for wanting a grey one is that I have never tackled painting Panzergrau but have watch a lot of tutorials and fancy taking it on and adding it to my modelling skill-set. Tri-camo hides so many faults, I feel tackling a dark, monotone colour will really stretch me.

I am interested in both the Africa and Barbarossa theatres so my first reaction was to convert the kit to a Barbarossa one, but the more I find out about the DAK grey the more inclined I am to build it OOB.

One other question I did have about the Hobby Boss 222 was whether the gun is placeable in another way. I came across a 3d drawing and really like the poise of it. I think it may also give greater ability to see the interior.

BogiBg
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 397 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 10:39 PM UTC
The way kit was constructed, gun should be in some 30 degree angle. But it's easy fix, as I remember, only two connecting rods in the back of the cradle should be shortened.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 11:37 PM UTC
Looking forward to your progress,

Be carefull with styles like modulation. It's easily overdone...

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 01:22 AM UTC
1:1 ones, no 3D

H.P.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 01:32 AM UTC
Is that an Otter on the right?

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 03:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is that an Otter on the right?

I guess so. The captured 222's were used by the No 2 Armoured Car Company, Royal Air Force :

http://www.warwheels.net/Model_Sdkfz222rafWilliams.html

H.P.
vonMarshall
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 04:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The way kit was constructed, gun should be in some 30 degree angle. But it's easy fix, as I remember, only two connecting rods in the back of the cradle should be shortened.

Thanks, very helpful. I may start on the gun anyway so will see if I can get this done and report back.

Quoted Text

Be carefull with styles like modulation. It's easily overdone...

I hear you!

Quoted Text

1:1 ones, no 3D

H.P.

Now that is fantastic and I really like your model of it. I do like a bit of prototypical "under new management".
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 07:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now that is fantastic and I really like your model of it. I do like a bit of prototypical "under new management".

That's not actually Frenchy's build.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 07:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's not actually Frenchy's build.

That's true. I've been putting so many projects on the back burner I consider buying another gas stove...

H.P.
 _GOTOTOP