_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Those Big Ribs On The Takom Tires
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 05:49 PM UTC
The Takom kits of the T-54B, Type 69, and other of their tanks I notice have big ribs on the rubber wheels. It's difficult to believe such ribs would be on the road surfaces, or if they were, to last long after the tank gets driven for any length of time. Or am I wrong? I'm thinking of how the old Tamiya T-55A kit did not have them.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 08:09 PM UTC
If my memory hasn't failed me completely I think it was discussed here in Armorama some time ago.
The ribs are way over scale.
This is what it "should" look like on a relatively fresh wheel:

Those ribs on the "sidewalls" would be more or less invisible in 1/35th-scale. The surface rubbing against the track gets worn smooth very soon.
The ribs on the sidewalls in the images above are probably the same as when that wheel was pulled out of the vulcanising moulds.

They could also look like this:

but that is a lot more work for the model builder
/ Robin

Edit: I found this:
http://www.themodellingnews.com/2016/06/construction-review-ptii-andy-builds.html
Some kind of build blog/review.
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If my memory hasn't failed me completely I think it was discussed here in Armorama some time ago.
The ribs are way over scale.
This is what it "should" look like on a relatively fresh wheel:

Those ribs on the "sidewalls" would be more or less invisible in 1/35th-scale. The surface rubbing against the track gets worn smooth very soon.
The ribs on the sidewalls in the images above are probably the same as when that wheel was pulled out of the vulcanising moulds.

They could also look like this:

but that is a lot more work for the model builder
/ Robin

Edit: I found this:
http://www.themodellingnews.com/2016/06/construction-review-ptii-andy-builds.html
Some kind of build blog/review.

A good shot of the underlying Russian Green on the hub caps
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Takom kits of the T-54B, Type 69, and other of their tanks I notice have big ribs on the rubber wheels. It's difficult to believe such ribs would be on the road surfaces, or if they were, to last long after the tank gets driven for any length of time. Or am I wrong? I'm thinking of how the old Tamiya T-55A kit did not have them.

Tom; As clearly seen in the numerous posted pics.... Takom's "proud" rubber-tire ribs are, to say the least, "over-stated". But... just sand them away and reduce them to little or nothing! Perhaps the "accurate" option is to replace them with hair! But that's a way lot of work, I'm sure...

Do note that Tamiya has it all extremely WRONG - the T molded those "proud" ribs as engraved lines. Whatever else anyone says about the side-wall ribs and whether they would even be really visible in 1/35 (they probably wouldn't, if molded pretty much to scale - maybe only a few 1/1000 in width!), they DON'T want to be engraved lines!

I've done one of Takom's -55 kits, and plan on another. I like the look of seeing SOME rib here and there, even if they are quite over-sized, so sanded off MOST ribs from the side-walls of most tires (and smoothed ALL contact-faces of the tires - which would wear away on the tracks). At least we have the option of having ribs!

Cheers! Bob
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 07:14 AM UTC
Here are some spare ribs to fill out those groovy Tamiya tires

/ Robin
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 08:49 AM UTC
"Do note that Tamiya has it all extremely WRONG - the T molded those "proud" ribs as engraved lines. Whatever else anyone says about the side-wall ribs and whether they would even be really visible in 1/35 (they probably wouldn't, if molded pretty much to scale - maybe only a few 1/1000 in width!), they DON'T want to be engraved lines!"

I remember when the Tamiya kit first came out, I posted a question on the 'other' (ML) site asking if anyone had a fix for the wheels. I've never seen such aggresive invective used in replies as I did that day. 'There is nothing wrong with the Tamiya wheels' 'You don't know what you are talking about' etc. This from the so called experts. That was the last time I ever posted or went to that site.
Takoms wheels are a little overstated but it is easier to remove than to add....
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 09:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Takoms wheels are a little overstated but it is easier to remove than to add....

umhum, there are a few Tamiya T-55's lurking in the stash with various conversion sets.
I think I will fill the grooves with stretched sprue and then file down the surplus. Should be doable if approached as some kind of series manufacturing .... aarggghhhhh
There is also the wheel sets by Miniart .....
/ Robin
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

umhum, there are a few Tamiya T-55's lurking in the stash with various conversion sets.
I think I will fill the grooves with stretched sprue and then file down the surplus. Should be doable if approached as some kind of series manufacturing .... aarggghhhhh
There is also the wheel sets by Miniart .....
/ Robin

Robin; While your ribs look pretty nice, fitting them onto Mr. T's little styrene wheels would be quite a messy task, I fear! I think I would get all side-tracked with finger-licking and "sanding those big ribs down to a better, slimmer size"!

Yeah.... A "serial process" would be great. Get inventing, friend! Will it be hair (and maybe no need for sanding down!) or very fine stretched sprue (we do so LOVE CHOICES, don't we )

For my money.... It's just that. MONEY. I think I would spend some of mine to get those AM wheels, or better yet, just get a Takom (as I already did!) or MiniArt kit (also "ribby") and skip trying to fix Mr. T's "anti-ribs"! Time is getting ever more valuable as I get older!

Cheers! Bob
Removed by original poster on 09/19/18 - 23:47:22 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP