_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
film cannisters
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 06:17 AM UTC
Do these make good storage for enamel paints? OR will they dissolve if thinner added to paints?
Kaboom
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 06:45 AM UTC
I've tried using them a couple of times. The black ones with the grey lids are no good they don't seal at all. the clear white ones (Fuji I think) are OK but not for long term storage. I have used them for mixing paint for airbrushing and the paint was still good a couple of days later but I haveen't used them for permenant storage.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 09:14 AM UTC
I will have to disagree with Kaboom, I have used the black containers with gray lid for storing thinner, acctually thats what I use now for a thinner cup, and have transported thinner in a plastic bag in the trunk of my car driving for 5 hours back and forth with no leakage at all. I have had washes mixed up in those containers for a long time also. Try and see how it works for you.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 11:51 AM UTC
While film containers are good for mixing(the FUJI clear ones) I dont think I'd use them long term. YOu can buy small mixing jars in two sizes from Micro-mark. And if I remember correctly one or both match the the paasche spray jars.

Josh Weingarten
aKa Shiryon
Sundown
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 67 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 11:59 AM UTC
I use the clear containers to store my washes (no problems so far) and various colors of ground up pastels...

KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 12:12 PM UTC
Another neat trick... wash out the old bottles of Acrylic Paints you have laying around... pour your custom mixes into them, and then label them with the name of the mix (ie, German SS Summer Grey) and the "mixture" (2 pts. Dark Grey, 1 part Sand, 1 pt Lt Blue) just in case you have to make more.

Another cool thing i just discovered after all these years... the Tamiya SMALL acrylic bottle fit the suction cap of the BADGER 250 PERFECTLY (43mm)... I know this doesn't address your ENAMELs question, but thought I would pass it along.
Army
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 02:54 PM UTC
When ever I have a paint bottle that is empty I place it into a large jar (Spagetti sauce) that is filled with thinner and once the jar is full or I need to make a paint mix I clean out the jars with a Dremel tool and a wire brush attachment. I must have 10 to 15 clean jars at any given time and they can be used and reused over and over (Remember to take safety precautions when doing this )
 _GOTOTOP