_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Churchill Croco (pics) entry for Br.Com.Gr.B.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi there guys finally i managed to download the pictures of my beastie. So thats the Churchill Crocodile i build for the British Commonwealth Group. Its the old Tamiya kit (which is excellent). I ve improved the kit adding detail to the turret(hatche's inside , antennas, and other objects on the turret), replacing handles with copper wire ones, also replaced tow cables with my own home made, added up armor from German tanks as they used to do (refernece pictures show all churchills uparmored!!!), and putted in a simple base just to stand there. I hope some guys like it and i am as always open to critisism and comments . in the gallery 14 pictures for you !!!

Costas - thanks for your time

lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 10:31 PM UTC
Goose thats brilliant, the detail is great, i especially like the paint job on the rolled up canvas, on the turret, good job, cheers!
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 10:33 PM UTC
adelfe moy,
another nice build on your side.First of all I liked the model and especially the trailer very much. the overall painting is very good and color of the spare tracks looked so realistic to me. my favorite part is the weathering on the sideskirts. The cover next to the jerry can on the back of Croco took my attention.whats the material you made it?
The diorama base is also well done.
Congrats brother
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 10:40 PM UTC
Thanks for kinf words guys !! i tried to do my best on this lovely shape of tank. The tools cover is made of aluminium foil shaped on the tank and glued in place. Was primed in automotive primer and then painted in acrylics and washed and weathered with oils and pastels
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 01:00 AM UTC
Very nice build - and nice base!

1) Should´nt the turret MG be black/Gunmetal ?

2) Do you plan to include a crew?

3) I miss some "wear" on the inside of the turrethatches.

4) Some black soot on the gunbarrel ?.

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 04:52 AM UTC
Hey Costas..Very nice build you have there ....I like the simple base looks great ...A few things I noticed are ...don,t forget to paint the periscopes on the turret and in front of the hatches....That brings me to the problem of putting that tarp on the roof ...you have blinded the gunner and tank commander when the tank is buttoned up... Your stowage should be tied down a bit better or it will lose everything going through rough terrain, The tires on the trailler could use a pastel treatment as they look quite clean compared to the rest of the tank and last and I'm not a hundred percent sure about this but the one handled jerrycan was a post war jerrycan and were not used back then...I might be wrong on that one ...
Are you going to add a crew? I love the color ..what colors did you use to paint it ? Weathering is good ..The spare tracks as extra armor is a must on almost all churchills ..great job..

congrats
Rick
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:09 AM UTC
Absolutly fantastic work, well done..........
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:36 AM UTC
looks really well costas glad to see the instructions were ok for you to read, one niggle is the jerry can this is a modern one used for carring water it should be black plastic if you have the italeri jerry can set swap it over for a britsh one there are a few on that set
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:27 PM UTC
thanks for your comments guys. Some answers to what asked.:
the stowage was not tied up for a battle situation and also the terp is blinding the periscopes cause theymostly are there for presentation purposes , meaning is not and action battle scene . But probably you are right and they should be tied up a bit more. The bloody jerry can is from a WWII acesories set and designated as a British one!!! i ll search my stash to change it .. what to say jerry can chaters !!! hehehehe . I d also love to include
some figures in but the Tamiya ones are not so good on my point of view and i am considering orderins some from Neils Apha here in Aromorama that are superb.
The colour used was Gunze's Dark Green acrylic after priming and preshading with MM's primer and Tamiya's dark grey . After this many washes with oils took place (burnt umber black raw umber and intermidiate mixes) and finished up with dry pastels in gray, brown, red brown, black and light gray. The barrel was shooted up with some black pastel but probably my handling dissapeared it !!!! or the phantom crew cleared up !!!
Thanks for the time guys !!!!
 _GOTOTOP