_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Hungarian Panzerjager 38(t)
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 01:17 AM UTC
Tinkering around with Academy's late Hetzer. Just for a change from all the "ambush" painted ones I was thinking a Hungarian one. I know they had them. From what I can find they had early ones in solid green with the black square / white cross marking . The late versions look like standard German paint and markings with Hungarian numbers added. Ideally I'd like a late version, solid green (what shade) or dunkelgelb with the Hungarian national marking. Did such a combo exist?
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 02:23 AM UTC
I don’t think so. According to the book ‘Magyar Warriors - Volume 1’, the 1st Cavalry Division of the 1st Hungarian Army received 10 examples in Poland in August ‘44 (probably these were the early types you mention); the Royal Hungarian Army received another batch of 50 in December and 25(+16) in January ‘45. One thing seems to be sure though: the Hungarian Hetzers during operation Spring Awakening (AKA the Battle of Balaton) were practically identical to those of the Wehrmacht, only a white identification number painted over the Balkankreuz (sometimes covering it partially) setting them apart.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 04:59 AM UTC
Timothy;

I would go with what Israel said - the more so as later-production PzJgr 38 "Hetzer" pretty much wore standardized "factory paint schemes" applied at the assembly plant, as versus the wide-spread German practice of having units and crews apply most of the camo seen on most tanks. So, Hungarian Hetzers would almost certainly have had the same standardized camo schemes as those operated by Wehrmacht units. Your best likely option for a monochrome Hungarian Hetzer would be to model one of the early batch, which MAY have come along before the factory started applying it's standard tricolor schemes of later-production units.

Cheers! Bob
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 05:36 AM UTC
Also, by the time the second batch was received, half of the country has been already occupied by the Red Army and Budapest, the largest industrial centre, was encircled. I guess repainting vehicles received from German stocks was hardly the Hungarians major concern at this stage of the war.

My guess for a factory fresh, late-type Hungarian Hetzer camo would be a following: Olivgrün (RAL6003) basecoat, Dunkelgelb (RAL7028) and Rotbraun (RAL8017) applied in the 'sharp-edged' manner.
Vehicles received from Wehrmacht stocks might've still had the preceding camo-directive, namely the same colors applied over redoxid primer in irregular patches.
As for the markings, probably standard German Balkankreuz complemented with Hungarian identification numbers on the superstructure-sides.
An all Dunkelgelb/Dark green late-type Hungarian Hetzer seems very unlikely.

Having said that, I'm not an expert on the topic. As a matter of fact, I would appreciate info myself in regard of the changes the Hungarian camo and markings underwent throughout the war.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 07:46 AM UTC
Thanks guys. That's pretty much the info I had. Once again, my plan of attack did not survive first contact with the enemy (reality).
 _GOTOTOP