_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Best Abrams kit to build as M1A2 SEP v3
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 07:06 AM UTC
Hey folks -

Looking for some advice. I am looking to build a modern (used in 2018) M1A2 SEP which i would assume is a V2 or V3. I am wondering which kit would be the best starting point. I currently have the Dragon M1A2 SEP kit (#3536) which looks good, but I didn't know if any of the new tools (Meng and RFM) are any better. I also specifically need to know the following:

1. Can I build the kit without the reactive TUSK armor? I looks like all the kits that include the TUSK have the mounts molded to the side skirts. I would prefer the "non-tusk" side skirts.

2. Do any of these kits have the blue force tracker? This is visually the white antenna that was initially mounted hanging off the side of the gun site box in front of the commanders copula, and it appears was moved on the SEP2 or SEP3 to the rear corner of the turret. I haven't been able to see this detail in any of the reviews I have found.

I'm not against doing a little work to get the right piece parts, but I would like to start at the closest point possible to get where I'm going.

Thanks for the help folks!
Mike
nachjager
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 07:17 AM UTC
My suggestion is to go with the Academy M1A2 kit (#13504) which has the DEF indi tracks and additional PE pieces for the Crows RWS. I am currently building one and I would say that 60% of the kit goes without glue, such is the good fit of this model. And it also has the blue force tracker.

You can have a glimpse of the kit contents here:
https://www.super-hobby.com/products/U.S.-Army-M1A2-V2-Tusk-II.html

Hope this help.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 07:24 AM UTC
I would actually suggest the Dragon M1A2 SEP v2 kit. This is because the Dragon kit has the parts already for the Under Armor APU (UAAPU) that has been reinstalled on the M1A2 SEP v3 from their earlier M1A2 SEP version. The UAAPU in the left rear of the hull (and its external fittings - access panels, air intake, and exhaust outlet) is the main external diference between the v2 and v3 models.
AlfredCZ
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 07:35 AM UTC
I have DML and Meng. Both are very nice kits, but newest kit is Academy: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1117527-academy-13504-m1a2-abrams-sep-v2-tusk-ii - this have camouflage options from last year (2017) - and have a Crows Turret.

Meng M1A2 haven´t CROWS Gun Turret-it is a machines deployed in Iraq Battlefield in 2008-2011 and used in combat.

Meng make this M1A2 w. Tusk & USMC M1A1 from ODS - newest version (with CROWS) haven´t (now 10/2018).

But DML M1A2 V2 is too nice, but Academy is (here in Czech Republic) cheapest (and newest).

I think - most suibtable for you is Academy.

mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 07:56 AM UTC
Thanks for the quick replays guys! I forgot to mention that I already have an aftermarket CROWS and a set of RFM tracks for this build.

Quoted Text

I would actually suggest the Dragon M1A2 SEP v2 kit. This is because the Dragon kit has the parts already for the Under Armor APU UAAPU) that has been reinstalled on the M1A2 SEP v3 from their earlier M1A2 SEP version. The UAAPU in the left rear of the hull (and its external fittings - access panels, air intake, and exhaust outlet) is the main external diference between the v2 and v3 models.

Gino - does this kit have the blue force antenna?

Thanks
Mike
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 07:57 AM UTC
Personally I'd also vote for the Academy kit as the best OOTB SEP V2.

Dragon/Cyberhobby's M1A2 SEP V2 (#3556) isn't as good as their earlier M1A1 AIM and M1A2 SEP kits. The new sprues for the V2 parts aren't to the same standard as the earlier parts, with a CROWS that looks undersized and simplified and a cupola (ICWS?) which is a mix of styles. It's also missing the late style wheel hubs and some other small details. It can still be built into a nice replica though.

If you do go for this one, the details can be improved with DEF Models SEP V2 conversion https://www.scalemates.com/kits/228105-def-model-dm35030-m1a2-sep-v2-conversion-set.

I believe DEF helped Academy develop their kit so it doesn't have the same issues.
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 08:25 AM UTC
Sorry folks - probably should have asked this first....

I am building these tanks...

which is a SEP V2. Let me re-ask the question - am I good with the Dragon kit that I have assuming I can then scratch up a blue force tracker? Or should I go with the Academy, Meng or RFM?

Sorry for my confusion...

And thanks again..
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 09:13 AM UTC
Academy kit # 13504, the newest version of the kit, has both the early and late style blue force tracker antennas included. The Meng kit also comes with the early style antenna. The domes on the early style antenna are shaped differently in each kit. I'm not sure which one is more correct. You can build the Academy kit without the TUSK armor since you need to drill holes in the side skirts and turret to mount them. The Meng kit gives you side skirts with the mounting rails for the armor molded on, so you will have to fit the armor if you went with that kit. Mark
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry folks - probably should have asked this first....

I am building these tanks...

which is a SEP V2. Let me re-ask the question - am I good with the Dragon kit that I have assuming I can then scratch up a blue force tracker? Or should I go with the Academy, Meng or RFM?

Sorry for my confusion...

And thanks again..

If that is the case, you only have two options; Academy or Dragon.

I would agree with the Academy recommendation as it is the most complete M1A2 SEP v2 out of the box.
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 02:58 PM UTC
Ok - sounds like the academy kit is the way to go. Thanks for the help.

Now - any one have a suggestion on the green paint? Is it just standard "NATO green"?

Thanks again!
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 03:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now - any one have a suggestion on the green paint? Is it just standard "NATO green"?

Thanks again!

It is not NATO Green. The color is RAL6031 Bronze Green. This paint is typically being applied at unit level, in many cases by hand, over the CARC Tan. That is why many of the parts like the CITV, CROWS and roadwheels are still in Tan.
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 05:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It is not NATO Green. The color is RAL6031 Bronze Green. This paint is typically being applied at unit level, in many cases by hand, over the CARC Tan. That is why many of the parts like the CITV, CROWS and roadwheels are still in Tan.

Thanks Jon - Bronze Green, IIRC is the base green for the modern German 3 tone camo, right?
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 11:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Jon - Bronze Green, IIRC is the base green for the modern German 3 tone camo, right?

Correct. There is even a phto existing, where troops start to mix the pigment with solvent to paint their tank. Clearly visible o the paint bucket RAL 6031.

Thomas
nachjager
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2018 - 12:37 AM UTC
For the current overall green you may use AK’s Real Color NATO Green RAL 6031-F9 lightened with some Pure Green (also from AK range). I also found that by mixing Tamiya XF-29 and XF-5 you could also get a very close match. Both Tamiya and Real Colors can be obtained from Scalehobbyist.com here in the US. I am currently building a M1A2 that will have the overall Green paint over the CARC Tan but I am still unsure which paint combination will use, Tamiya or AK.

Finally, if you can get hold of Sabot Publications’ M1A2 in Europe 2017 (https://www.sabotpub.com/product-p/wm003.htm) it contains number of quality shots of overall green M1A2 tanks. As an added bonus the book comes with a decal sheet to model a few of those tank.
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For the current overall green you may use AK’s Real Color NATO Green RAL 6031-F9 lightened with some Pure Green (also from AK range). I also found that by mixing Tamiya XF-29 and XF-5 you could also get a very close match. Both Tamiya and Real Colors can be obtained from Scalehobbyist.com here in the US. I am currently building a M1A2 that will have the overall Green paint over the CARC Tan but I am still unsure which paint combination will use, Tamiya or AK.

Finally, if you can get hold of Sabot Publications’ M1A2 in Europe 2017 (https://www.sabotpub.com/product-p/wm003.htm) it contains number of quality shots of overall green M1A2 tanks. As an added bonus the book comes with a decal sheet to model a few of those tank.

I have the AK Real Colors green, I did a quick spay test yesterday and I think its pretty close as is. I'll add some of the pure green when I get it and see how that does.

Thanks again for all the help guys - really appreciate it. Hope to start this build in a few weeks.

Mike
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 - 04:00 AM UTC
Picked up the Academy kit the other day. Surprisingly nice kit, nice detail. One thing to look out for are the enormous parts mounting pins, about the size of LEGO connectors. I’ve had to trim down or fully remove some of them to get parts to fit tighter or properly, especially around the gun mantlet. Other than that a great kit, nothing to really worry about that I can see.
Wingtsun
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 - 06:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For the current overall green you may use AK’s Real Color NATO Green RAL 6031-F9 lightened with some Pure Green (also from AK range). I also found that by mixing Tamiya XF-29 and XF-5 you could also get a very close match. Both Tamiya and Real Colors can be obtained from Scalehobbyist.com here in the US.

Tamiya does not have any acrylic bottled called XF-29. This must be a typing error. What is the shade? XF-49 Khaki?
nachjager
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 07:56 AM UTC
Your absolutely correct, my bad, it's XF-26 (Deep Green). Too much superglue sniffing....
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 09:10 AM UTC
I think he missed a spot...

_GOTOTOP