_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Review
Andrey Firstov: Surviving T-34 Tanks in Israel
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 06:41 AM UTC

Darren Baker takes a look at a book titled ''Surviving T-34 Tanks in Israel - Pillbox Tanks - Monuments – Museum Exhibits'' from Andrey Firstov.

Read the Review

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 12:24 PM UTC
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't this book reviewed a few months back? Either way an interesting subject.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 - 11:22 AM UTC
As well, it probably should have been entitled "Remaining T-34 Tanks in Isreal" as I doubt that any actually survived their last engagement.
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As well, it probably should have been entitled "Remaining T-34 Tanks in Isreal" as I doubt that any actually survived their last engagement.

Really? Have you purchased the book? If you look at the title it clearly states "Pillboxs Monuments Museum Exhibits" These are all clearly "surviving" tanks. Many of the pillbox tanks are still in their original location so these are "surviving", the museum exhibits are all captured vehicles so they are "surviving", etc. If you believe you can do better, I suggest you write a book as well.

And yes, I do have this book.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 - 07:19 AM UTC
Touchy aren't we Jon? I merely meant that anything salvaged from a battlefield after being knocked out hardly survived; it was merely recovered and put to some other use. And no, I haven't had the chance to look through the book, but based on what Darren said I felt it was worth mentioning.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 - 07:36 AM UTC
Gents there is no need to get heated as it is just a difference of opinion on the subject. I do tend towards somewhere in the middle having read the book and both statements have value.
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Touchy aren't we Jon? I merely meant that anything salvaged from a battlefield after being knocked out hardly survived; it was merely recovered and put to some other use. And no, I haven't had the chance to look through the book, but based on what Darren said I felt it was worth mentioning.

I'm not being touchy at all. It's one thing to criticise a book for poor writing, poor translations, poor quality photographs, inaccurate information, etc. That's relevant and acceptable. But it's another thing to criticise a book simply for its title when the title is not incorrect and clearly states what the book is about. Am I bias having written a few books? Probably, but unfair criticism is still unfair criticism and until you've written a book yourself, you may not understand.
Firstik
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 - 09:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I merely meant that anything salvaged from a battlefield after being knocked out hardly survived; it was merely recovered and put to some other use. And no, I haven't had the chance to look through the book, but based on what Darren said I felt it was worth mentioning.

Hello Frank, not all the tanks featured in the book were knocked out in battle. Copies of the book are still available for purchase and you are welcome to pick one up.

Best regards,
Andrey.
 _GOTOTOP