_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Blending colors
HansBouwmeester
Visit this Community
Namibia
KitMaker: 346 posts
Armorama: 343 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 06:30 PM UTC
Went to the SMC in Veldhoven yesterday. On this fair a lot of people show their, high quality, work. Exceptional figure painting. I still don't understand how they get their colors that soft and how they manage to blend in their highlights and shadows.
Just like most of them I use acryllic paint (and sometimes oils) with retarder and glaze but I can't get it done. Yep, I read the manuals like "flesh painting" etc. but what's their secret???
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 08:12 PM UTC
It's called a wet palette.

Look it up. I learned about it three weeks ago. Not only did it make a huge improvement in my figure painting, but also for things like aircraft cockpits.

The guy taught me to paint in small dots, and blend my colors on the wet palette.

Changed my life.

Gaz
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 10:18 PM UTC
The wet palette is a tool that allows to work longer with the paint and keep as many "steps" between two colours for a good time while yo paint, however it does not help blending colours on the figure.

For that you have to paint with very thin layers , adding a bit each time and waiting for it to dry before the next.

There are many tutorials and youtube videos, but the best you can do is learning live from someone. If you have a club close to you, ask for help.
HansBouwmeester
Visit this Community
Namibia
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 10:43 PM UTC
Thanks guys, I will look up some video's and order me a wet pallette. Then it's (indeed) a matter of practice. So, when winter is coming.......(where did that phrase come from....) I have enough time on my hands.
Only thing I'm afraid of is that when I master the craft I feel the urge to do all I did over again....
varanusk
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 12:32 AM UTC
You don't really need to order a wet palette... it's really easy to make one yourself, and most probably you will have all that you need at home right now.

There are plenty of videos about it also.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 12:45 AM UTC
I prefer oils to acrylics but if you want to try the wet palette go to buy some sushi at the take-away, the containers for sushi are perfect for me because the bottom is really low like this the edge is not on the way when you dip the brush , take a kitchen sponge of those thin or paper towels and then you put on a sheet of baking paper but the classic non-silicone and your wet-palette is ready, so 'you can also keep your mix good for days especially if you keep it in the refrigerator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 04:26 AM UTC
Would something like a cheapo plastic egg container (like for 6,or a dozen eggs) be useful? There's separations for several shades, or colors.
HansBouwmeester
Visit this Community
Namibia
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I prefer oils to acrylics but if you want to try the wet palette go to buy some sushi at the take-away, the containers for sushi are perfect for me because the bottom is really low like this the edge is not on the way when you dip the brush , take a kitchen sponge of those thin or paper towels and then you put on a sheet of baking paper but the classic non-silicone and your wet-palette is ready, so 'you can also keep your mix good for days especially if you keep it in the refrigerator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

Quoted Text

put quote text here

Non-silicone? I've googled that but.... Bakingpaper is waxed as far as I know..
PzDave
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 07:12 AM UTC
I use Humbrol oils and turpentine. The colors are darker and not bright like the water based paints.
varanusk
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 07:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Non-silicone? I've googled that but.... Bakingpaper is waxed as far as I know..

I guess he meant not to use an oven silicone matt but paper...

By the way, how do you get rid of the smell of the sushi tray???
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 09:53 AM UTC
sorry sometime when in hurry i use a Translator and mess up my text!!....i mean use the Baking paper for the oven not the wax paper used for the meat at the butcher....
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 09:58 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

By the way, how do you get rid of the smell of the sushi tray???

lick it!!!.... ....joking,dishwashing liquid like every other stuff you clean in the kitchen but dont use very hot water or lose is shape
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 09:59 AM UTC
Thanks for the link. A while back someone gave me a P3 wet palette. Didn't know what it was and set it aside. Now I have a tool I can use again.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would something like a cheapo plastic egg container (like for 6,or a dozen eggs) be useful? There's separations for several shades, or colors.

you can but you miss part of the point of a wet palette,to use like the palette used with oils were you mix 2 or more colors in a way to have a "infinite" shades of the same color....difficult to explain with my limited English

little bit like this..

like for the skin i put on the edge of a plate the colors from the dark to light then mix from the 2° darkest in direction to the light one and then the opposite from there you have all the shade you can imagine

like him...actually i stole Danilo palette..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTC9lJ2uS1M

with a wet palette you can do something very similar but with acrilycs

HansBouwmeester
Visit this Community
Namibia
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 05:28 PM UTC
Thanks guys. Reactions and tips like this always remind me why this is a great place to be. I spended the incredible sum of $11 to get me a wet palet (I'm not a sushi-fan ) and the baking-paper is a great tip since on one of the video's I studied the guy said it's better than the paper that comes with the set. Can't wait to try it out. In November we have another big fair here and I'm planning to get some cheap figures (they always have big discounts there) to practice.
As for tutorials, the video's of "Vince Venturella, Hobby Cheating" on youtube are very helpfull. So, let's go "wet palleting".
HansBouwmeester
Visit this Community
Namibia
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's called a wet palette.

Look it up. I learned about it three weeks ago. Not only did it make a huge improvement in my figure painting, but also for things like aircraft cockpits.

The guy taught me to paint in small dots, and blend my colors on the wet palette.

Changed my life.

Gaz

Bought one, took the time to look at some tutorial vids on wet blending and glazing and indeed.. IT CHANGED MY LIFE !! IT'S GREAT !!

_GOTOTOP