_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M911 engine question
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 01:34 AM UTC
Has anyone tried placing the resin Meng M911 engine into the Hobby Boss M911 kit? I'm curious if it will fit as a drop-in or without much work or if it is near impossible before I buy the Meng engine set.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 02:24 AM UTC
I have the engine on order but it is in the same order as some other stuff which is still pending delivery to my plastic dealer ...
I have both of the M-911 kits though so I could compare them if you are willing to wait until the weekend ...
If the size and shape of the "hole" is similar then the "plug" that fits in one should fit the other.
/ Robin
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 02:41 AM UTC
Hi Robin. There is no rush as I just received the M911 kit and don't plan on starting it anytime soon. I was thinking the same thing about the "hole" and the "plug". It should fit easily, but I wanted to be sure.

Here is a follow-up question. Is the M911 engine and the M1070 engine the same? According to Oshkosh, they are. Both use the Detroit Diesel 8V-92TA-90 engine & Allison CLBT-750 series transmission. Looking at pics of the Meng M911 engine and the Real Model M1070 engine, they also look the same. If so, it may be an option as the RM engine is a bit cheaper and I already have one.

Meng M911 engine.

Real Model M1070 engine.

metalhead85
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 04:48 AM UTC
Hi Gino,
I'm looking at the squadron in action book on the M911 and M1070 and both general data charts show the same engine (500 HP) and transmission. The Meng box shows a CLBT -740, but in the data chart it says 754. Don't know what the difference is.
The M1070A1 has a different(larger -700HP) engine, the CAT C-18 and an Allison transmission, but its the 4800SP which has more torque.....

Rich M.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 06:01 AM UTC
Thanks for the confirmation.
metalhead85
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 08:16 AM UTC
Anyone know if there is a crew protection kit out for the M1070 HETs ??
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 08:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone know if there is a crew protection kit out for the M1070 HETs ??

Yes. Real Model 35237

http://realmodel.cz/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=482&category_id=19&keyword=m1070&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=79

Someone wrote a brief customer comment on Real Models website (in the link above):
"easy to apply, fit is generally good... instructions can be a bit ambigious in places and the photoetch lacks the miriad of bolts that hold the real
thing together... easily fixed with the resin bolts sets from masterclub.rnoverall I am quite impressed with the quality of the set and thoroughly
recomend it to those wishing to upgrade their HET."

/ Robin
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 08:31 AM UTC
I would say the transmission on the Meng offering is a bit more accurate and it appears you get the correct air compressor as well.
metalhead85
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 08:35 AM UTC
Oh yes...I thought I saw a kit out there somewhere. Thanks Robin !

Rich
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 604 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 06:02 AM UTC
Cant wait to hear your opinion of the hobbyboss offering Gino ! I built the Meng one and loved the detail offered right out of the box.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 - 04:44 AM UTC
Robin,

Did you get a chance to check the Meng engine in the Hobby Boss kit? What is the verdict?
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 - 06:57 AM UTC
Planned for this evening, spent the weekend digging through part of the stash.
I need to assemble a few parts in each kit to get something to measure
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 - 08:41 AM UTC
It isn't a drop fit.
When I dry fitted the HB engine between the HB frame rails I measured the distance over the outsides of the frame rails and it came to 26.6 mm. The same measurement for Meng comes to 24.4 mm. The Meng frame is narrower by 2.2 mm (sligthly less than 1/10th of an inch).
I also think that there is a small difference in length.
The first short section of transmission shaft (gearbox to distribution box) is also longer in the HB-kit. It is also skinnier ...
The transmission shaft can be cut and adjusted as needed.
The engine supports for the Meng engine can be widened to adjust for the difference in frame width.
There is also a separate part to support the front end of the engine (behind the radiator, above the heat exchanger tube, sort of on the topside of HB part F18 in step 6).
The Meng part D25 rests on some shelf above the heat exchanger. HB F18 is a flat sheet with a raised lip while Meng B7 looks like a flat sheet welded to the side of one side of an angle bar at two-thirds of the height from the corner.

In short: Doable, but not a drop fit.

I can scan the relevant parts of the Meng instructions if needed.
/ Robin
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 - 02:18 PM UTC
Thanks. It does sound doable. The scans would be helpful. I may have to get the Meng engine. I found one for a good price on eBay from the UK.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 - 06:40 PM UTC
Comparing the two engine bottoms gave me the impression that the designers of the kits had been looking at different engines.
Send me your e-mail address as a PM.
/ Robin

Edit: I suggest that you assemble the chassis frame first to make sure that the width I measured isn't caused by an incorrect width of HB's engine bottom. Remove the pockets for the engine bottom before assembling the frame ...
The Meng engine does not need to be sandwiched between the frame rails.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 - 11:38 PM UTC
Thanks Robin. Email sent.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 09:38 AM UTC
Meng kinda messed up a little in their call out. That item is incorrect for anything built since 2000! Engine may or may not be right, but the HT750 gearbox was gone by late 1997. Yet the transmission modeled is what's currently in use. They look nothing alike.
Gary
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 10:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Robin. Email sent.

Scans sent / Robin
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 03:02 AM UTC
Robin I do wish you would publish at least some of the scans you are sharing with Gino and/or some photos of your process with test fitting the engine to the kit.

Inquiring minds want to know.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Meng kinda messed up a little in their call out. That item is incorrect for anything built since 2000! Engine may or may not be right, but the HT750 gearbox was gone by late 1997. Yet the transmission modeled is what's currently in use. They look nothing alike.
Gary

What should the transmission look like on an M911 C-HET? From my searches, the Allison HT750 gearbox looks like below. It looks to me like what Meng has modeled, minus a couple hoses and maybe the flat mounting plate(?) at the rear top.

RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 03:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Robin I do wish you would publish at least some of the scans you are sharing with Gino and/or some photos of your process with test fitting the engine to the kit.

Inquiring minds want to know.

I have not tested fitting any engine in any of the chassis yet and it will probably take quite some time before I get the time to assemble that much of any of the kits. There are a few other parts to fit between the frame rails ....
I assembled the engine parts just so that I could compare width and length.
HB's engine fits between the insides of the frame rails. The bottom of it is an oil-sump on a rectangular "plate" which covers the whole width between the frame rails. Mengs engine bottom is the lower half of an engine with engine mounts on either side which rest on top of the frame rails.
The width between the outsides of the frame rails also differ by 2.2 mm (slightly over 3 inches in 1:1 scale) with Meng being the narrower chassis.

Step 2, part B7 is the focus here
------------------------------------------

Step 5, B7 in position, seen from below

First part of step 8, still focused on B7
B7 in position, seen from above

Second part of step 8, B7 from another angle,
looking forward.

Step 9, part D25 fits to B7 and supports the front of the engine. Assembly of engine bottom and "dropping" it into the chassis.

If requested by popular demand I could try and find some time to scan the corresponding bits of HB's assembly diagrams ...
/ Robin
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If requested by popular demand I could try and find some time to scan the corresponding bits of HB's assembly diagrams ...
/ Robin

you can save time instead of scanning, reference the instructions here:
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10521804
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 04:32 AM UTC
Thank you Robin

It is interesting that with the Meng kit you have to assemble a multipart engine but that engine is still only an abbreviated, partial reproduction.

As to the Real Models resin engine it definitely represents the earlier transmission making, to my mind, the full Meng plastic engine the better choice.

I had no choice but to go with the RM engine when doing my HEMTT a few years back
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 05:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you Robin

It is interesting that with the Meng kit you have to assemble a multipart engine but that engine is still only an abbreviated, partial reproduction.

As to the Real Models resin engine it definitely represents the earlier transmission making, to my mind, the full Meng plastic engine the better choice.

I had no choice but to go with the RM engine when doing my HEMTT a few years back

It is a bit strange that they did not add another 20 parts or so to provide the complete engine. Maybe they thought that they would not be able to do it justice with the limitations of injection moulding or they wanted to keep the cost below some magic limit.
The provided parts depict the parts of the engine that will be visible from below and leaves the spaces at the sides of the engine open.
/ Robin
Removed by original poster on 10/31/18 - 17:33:38 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP