_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
eastern euro update
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:42 PM UTC
Hello All, I am once again busy with my eastern european dio. After changing a few things, adding the granary and changing the fence, I decided to take a few pics and see what every one thinks about the changes. All comments are welcome I have been working on the ground work, and am getting ready to paint the fence. so let me know what everyone thinks of it so far

Also having to finish the trees and there will be snow as it is a winter setting. So fire away Cheers Kevin
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 02:10 PM UTC
Kevin

This is really well done. I assume that the buildings are all scratchbuilt If so you did a great job. What type of scene are you planning?

Good Job
Wolfsix
Kar98K
KitMaker: 126 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 02:20 PM UTC
How did you make that roof its great. The whole thing is awesome.
meissen
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 257 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:06 PM UTC
that looks really great jackhammer. i have been following this dio from the beginning, and its come a long way. you weathered the wood excellently. the groundwork looks really nice as well. those are some stunning buildings you made. what are you going to put in it in the direction of figures and/or vehicles? so far you are doing a beautiful job, i cant wait to see the finished product.
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 05:45 PM UTC
hey jackhammer ver very very nice ! i hate to be the first one to add negative cooments but in my opinion the long grass you have around the buildings look a litle to formal and thick

just a tip

matt
good work
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 07:12 PM UTC
I agree on Matt about the long grass but the whole diorama is very very good.
I am eager to see this as the models added ASAP
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 07:18 PM UTC
Gotta agree the grass looks like paint brush bristles poking up -- hack at them to make them look more randon length.

I really llike the fence -- I may steal this idea for my next dio!
warriorFSO
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 03:49 AM UTC
How did you do the woven fence? Is it broom bristles? Also, if it is winter, how will you go about muddying the place up? I am very interested, keep us posted.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 09:16 AM UTC
I want to thank everyone for there replies. I am having a great time with this dio, building a little at a time as the mood strikes me.
Wolfsix- the buildings are indeed scratch built, I also have been working on quite a few scratch detail peices to fill the barn and granary. The setting for this dio is in Poland in january 1945 after the soviets liberated Warsaw. The scene is a polish farm along a road, a soviet Su85 is making its way along the road carrying some infantry on it. A group of germans have laid an ambush out for the advancing soviets.
Kar98k-the roof on the barn is unraveled hemp twine glued in place.
Meissen- the figures and kits I am using on this are: DML Su85, DML 8.8cm raktenwerfer 43 pupchen w/crew, the tank comander is from tamiya,also using a few figures from tamiyas russian assault infantry, a couple figures from Academy german SS infantry russia 1944 set, a couple from DML's german 6th army stalingrad, and one or two from tamiyas german assault infantryw/winter gear. So its a pretty mixed set.
Matt, Engin, and Bob- I was experimenting with the tall grass and cant seem to get it too look the way i want it too, I had taken some photos from around the farm buildings here this winter and the grass doesnt seem to grow that way much close to the buildings unless its tall grasses out in the "yard" so to speak the effect I am after is some grass layong over flat as if heavy snow had been on it. Any suggestions?
And WarriorFSO the fence is square tooth pics with peices of tumble weeds woven between them. Cheers all and all comments still welcome Kevin
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 09:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

that looks really great jackhammer. i have been following this dio from the beginning, and its come a long way.

I guess I could start my post the same way! All the work with the wall has paid off. The raised area with stones and the wattle fence are first class. Really suits the scene and the result has paid off. Looking forward to more updates.
If you do go with the snow idea ... plan it well. These houses and ground work so far are as good as Ive seen anywhere. Would be a pity to lose all the detail with a heavy snow layers. Definately a case of "less is more". Good luck
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 03:58 PM UTC
Once again I would like to thank you all for the kind words :-) A few of you have wondered what vehicles were going to be in this dio. I have uploaded two more pics into my gallery showing the placement of the Su85 I am working on. I have also weathered the wattled fence and installed and started to age the fence in the foreground. Again all comments and ideas good and bad alike are welcome

Here is one of the pics, the other is in my gallery. Cheers Kevin
 _GOTOTOP