_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
faded paint
sdr999
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 03:45 PM UTC
hello hows everyone doing? I do have a question on something i need some advice on I would like to know how fellow modlers get the faded paint look on thier afv's mainly ww2 german armor if possible. Some people do a really good job on the dark yellow and even on the camo on the vechicle.
So any advice or help would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 07:51 PM UTC
Fine and dandy this fine English morning, thanks for asking.

By 'faded' I assume you mean weathered? Got to the search menu, top right hand corner and see what that brings up.

Good luck and wlecome.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:31 PM UTC
im no kraut armour builder, but from what ive read, once you have painted the base colour, and camo pattern, overspray that with a very thin coat of your yellow colour. this should blend it all in.

if your talking fading a one colour finish, Olive drab, panzer grey etc. then its completely different.

the techniques of shading etc need to be used. if you search the forums for this, you will probably find it described better than i could!

most people who paint ambush camo etc ignore shading etc.

cheers

joe
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 06:04 AM UTC
Well I guess the best way to explain this is to start at the beggining...When I do German armor , I usually start by adding a primer color all over my kit ..I use Tamiya's hull red and redbrown mixed 2/3 to 1/3 ...I then mix up some Tamiya dark yellow and desert yellow about 50 -50 or how ever you like it ...I then begin to spray my kit panel by panel getting as close to the egde as possible but letting the dark primer show thru the paint faintly. once the whole tank has been done like that I then add a little white to my paint mix and go over each panel keeping more to the center.. you can do this one more time if you want but usually I'm satisfied after two passes. Make sure some of the lighter color gets mixed in close to the edges too just so it doesn't look to perfect ....I then go back to my original color and throw a mist over it just to homoginize the whole thing ...I then do the same for the camo colors lightening the inside of each color ...Hint don't use white on the green or redbrown ..I use buff or deck tan for both these colors to not get that grey look to your colors ..Then just overspray the whole thing with your Dark yellow and you show have a nice faded camo ... You can also use filters to get everything to blend even more ...but that is another story... Sorry for being so long winded but I hope it helps ..

Rick
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 833 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:02 AM UTC
Good luck SDR!!

Thanks again for the P/E Bear.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:46 AM UTC
You are very welcome Monte...Did you get it to fit alright?

Rick
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 833 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:51 AM UTC
Not yet. Since I already but the barrel and breach together I'm trying to figure a way to sand the inside smooth so I can slide the P/E in.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hey don't bother with that ..just cut a tiny sliver off the P/E instead ...will work and alot less hassel.
Rick
 _GOTOTOP