_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Need some help with Sd.Kfz. 165 "Hummel"
Thor
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 190 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 12:14 AM UTC
Hi !

I just bought the "Hummel" kit from DML and wanted to add some interior equipment on it (radio and such) and/or PE parts. I did some searching, but couldnt find anything. Does anyone know if such an add on exists? And if so, do you happen to have a link to the shop/manufacturer?

And another question: Did Hummels only serve in "normal" infantry /mechanized infantry divisions, or did they also serve in SS - divisions?

Any info on this would be much appriciated

Thanks

Dolf
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 02:58 AM UTC
I was only able to find one PE set for the Hummel. It is Eduard's kit # ED035284. I found it at http://www.bentbutnotbroken.com, a Canadian company. You can probably find it from some European one though.

As far as stowage goes, my limited references state that, since the men lived in their Hummel, bed rolls, cooking pots, and personal kit would be found as well as camouflage.

Hope this helps,

Nic
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 03:00 AM UTC
Oh, yes. All my references say about the units it fought with was that the Hummel formed the heavy field artillery element of Panzer and Panzergrenadier divisions from 1942 on.
Doc
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 03:47 AM UTC
Thor,
Keep in mind that DML's Hummel was one of their first kits ( along with the Nashorn ) and as such leaves a lot to be desired in the quest to build an accurate representation of a Hummel. DML has announced that they are releasing the Nashorn again, completely retooled and up to their current ( very, very good ) standards. These vehicles are fairly similar, so it stands to reason that they may give the same treatment to the Hummel. You may want to hold off and see what happens. Could save you a bunch of money on after-market parts.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 04:02 AM UTC
Eduard makes 3 sets for this look here just hit the pervious button to see the rest

http://www.squadron.com/SearchResults.asp?ManuList=EU&Key=&ScaleList=35&TypeList=4&Submit=Go&offset=180

near bottom enjoy 2 sets on this page
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 05:46 AM UTC
Thor

As to whether or not the Hummel served in SS units, the answer is YES. I have two photos of one nicknamed "Scharnhorst" on the Russian front. It's still in panzer grey, with possably green random stripes, inspite of all the snow on the ground. One unusual feature on this vehicle is that it has an SS licence plate normaly found on softskins, just above the spare track stowage.

screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 01:16 AM UTC
The Hummel ( Sd Kfz 165 ) were issued to usually the 1.Abteilung (battaion/detachment )
sPz. Artillery Regiment of SS & Heer Panzer Divisions.
Each abteilung had a batterie with 6 Hummels - 2 batteries with 6 Wespe each - and the HQ company with 1 Wespe & 3 FlaK38 ( 20mm ).
There were also 2 other Abteilung in the sPz.Artillery Regiment with there ordanance/weapons ( which was mostly towed light & heavy field howitzers ).
- ralph
Thor
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 190 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 11:23 PM UTC
Many thanks everyone!!

Very usefull links and info :-)

Quoted Text

DML has announced that they are releasing the Nashorn again, completely retooled and up to their current ( very, very good ) standards. These vehicles are fairly similar, so it stands to reason that they may give the same treatment to the Hummel. You may want to hold off and see what happens. Could save you a bunch of money on after-market parts.

I didnt know this Doc; ill keep an eye out on this one.

Dolf

_GOTOTOP