_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Before Building
Ideas, concepts, and researching your next diorama.
Hosted by Darren Baker
German Troop Ukraine1943 Winter with civilian
hj1985
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 - 01:21 PM UTC
Hi Guys

I would like to build a diorama depicting German troops in Ukraine Winter 1943/44. I have an idea to add an element showing the impact of war on civilians (i.e. kids begging for food from German soldiers). Just want to check with your guys if the civilian in the occupied area would interact with the enemy force in this way?
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 - 02:09 PM UTC
When the Germans first invaded Russia in 1941 they were greeted by many Ukrainians as liberators. However, harsh Nazi occupation policy and the treatment of Slavic untermench by occupying forces soon dissuaded most of this hopeful notion. And, while certain groups of Russian peoples chose to fight for the Germans, by 1943 the majority of Russians clearly saw the Germans as the enemy. That being said, what you have in mind is not beyond the realm of possibility as human nature tends to feel sympathy for children in need. Also better to use Wehrmacht troops as opposed to Waffen SS types.
hj1985
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 - 03:30 PM UTC
Thank you for your advice.

I will use Army soldiers, SS is a big no no for this kind of scene.

My idea is inspired by the German 90's movie "Stalingrad". I remember a scene where a group of German soldiers made their way to the airport, but got lost. The Russian civilians (probably lost their home due to Scotch Earth policy) they encountered askeded for food before pointing at the direction.
 _GOTOTOP