_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Hands the grip instead of cradle items
johnnyD
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 05:02 AM UTC
So after all these years of building models and dioramas with figures with those stiff cradling hands I want to know what are some of your best ideas for making hands grip weapons or other items? I've tried several things, but everything usually looks too fake. Something that ruins a good figures look is the hands and the stiff cupping look. So if you have a good way of fixing this look share it with us please.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 05:19 AM UTC
Google reference photos on the web, then get into character yourself, i.e. position yourself into the posture you wish to replicate and take photos. 'Hornet Hands,' depending on what you need them for, i.e. rifles, slings, grab-handles, steering wheels, shifters, etc. might still need a little adjustment (knuckle breaking and reattachment with CA glue), but they are hands down the best. ... pun intended!😁

Cheers!🍺
—mike
johnnyD
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 09:04 AM UTC
Thanks Mike, who is a good source for Hornet hands? I've seen where everyone is swapping head for Hornet heads, but I'm not sure where to purchase those items other than possibly Ebay.
Have a good one - David
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 09:29 AM UTC
David,
’Michigan Toy Soldier’ is my usual go-to. I’ve used Hornet Hands sets HNT-HAND01, HNT-HAND02, and HNT-HAND03 on several occasions. Note: Wherever you order them from, delivery can take a while. Also, keep in mind, the resin is very brittle — can’t tell you how many times I’ve recovered thumbs from the Carpet Monster to repair them!😖

The technique I use:
1. Clip the figure’s original hand off at the sleeve/cuff.
2. Create a cavity in the arm with Dremmel Tool etching attachments and small-tipped round files.
3. Approximate the new hand’s length and taper the wrist for insertion into the arm’s cavity.
4. Insert a tiny bit of Fun-Tak (aka Blu-Tack) into the cavity for dry-fitting the assembly. Do not use CA until you are absolutely certain of the figure/hand/rifle/vehicle fit.

This takes quite a bit of effort, but I’ve been fairly pleased with the hollowed-out cuff result which I can achieve using this method. HTH.

Cheers!🍺
—mike
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 09:30 AM UTC
Or purchase resin figures from companies such as Legend that already have the hands cast on them.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 11:47 AM UTC
If it's a plastic figure, I slice part way through the figure's fingers at the joints (on the palm side) and squeeze the hand, with a pair of small pliers, around the rifle (or whatever) while adding liquid glue. The glue softens the plastic enough so it doesn't crack. The soft plastic also welds to the weapon leaving no cradling gaps.
johnnyD
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 01:05 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I'll give this a go. I'm willing to try something new to get rid of that cradle look. I'll send an update once I try these techniques. Modifying figures has always been a nervous topic with me, but to get better you have to try new things right?...
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 11:12 AM UTC
I usually take a "new" #11 and scribe between the fingers and slowly bend to fit. As Biggles said about the glue also.
johnnyD
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 05:25 AM UTC
Changing the subject a little, what do you guys think about making molds and pouring duplicates of arms and torsos if you need several of the same for a diorama? I've run across this with a current project and I need several parts for different figures, but I'd have to buy several of the same figures to get all the part I need. Is that acceptable??? Or am I being too cheap??
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 07:15 AM UTC
Most of us look for cheaper ways to accomplish things. Mold making is one way though at first it can get frustrating. Another would be to ask in the for sale trade forum. As a dio buider I have about a hundered sets of figures and many left over parts as I frankinstien most. You can p.m. me what you're looking for and can have what you might need. I'm sure that slome modelers will have some arms to spare. Bob d.
leviman
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 07:33 AM UTC
A method that I use is to cut the fingers off at the knuckle. Replace them with a single piece of modelling putty shaped a bit like a mitten. You can shape it around the rifle or whatever the hand is holding. After a period and the putty is slightly set, use a sharp blade or a needle type tool to separate the "mitten " into individual fingers. You can then use a wet brush and water to mould and improve the finger shapes. It takes a bit of practice but it gives excellent results.
 _GOTOTOP