Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya tow cables
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 12:05 PM UTC
Anybody happen to know the dia. of the nylon thread Tamiya uses for their tow cables, specifically the Leo 2A6? Cat, Carpet Monster, or Space Aliens got mine. Gonna head to Hobby Lobby to get some but need to know what I'm looking for.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 02:25 PM UTC
Don't know the size but I have a roll of nylon thread(cable) that I bought by just guestimating the size. I pretty much use it on all my builds. Never been dinged for wrong sized cables by judges at AMPS.
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 03:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't know the size but I have a roll of nylon thread(cable) that I bought by just guestimating the size. I pretty much use it on all my builds. Never been dinged for wrong sized cables by judges at AMPS.

Size gauge brand ? please
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 03:42 PM UTC
Yeah ... Yeah .... What John said!
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 09:05 PM UTC
Karaya offers cables in various sizes and my notes indicate 0.9mm as the diameter for Bundeswehr vehicles. I don’t know if that was based on my research or Karaya’s though. Personally I wouldn’t ascribe too much significance to the size used by Tamiya, as I think it uses the same diameter in all its kits.

I can’t speak for the individuals who judged your models at AMPS (although I may have been one of them) but accuracy of dimensions is not one of the criteria, unless blatantly obvious, for the simple reason that nobody can guarantee that the judges know more about the subject being modelled than the builder. We always judged the modelling outcomes rather than whether the toe ropes were the correct diameter or length.

If you build a well known subject but the shape is known to be wrong because the judges are familiar with it, is it fair to down mark you compared to someone building an obscure subject with the same fault where nobody can tell because the judges have never seen one before?
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Size gauge brand ? please

Sorry guys. I bought the stuff years ago, maybe at Michales craft store. No size is marked on it and the original package is long gone. Like I said I just kind of eyeballed it when I bought it back when I was doing German WWII stuff. Now do modern stuff and seems to fit the bill there too. Wish I could be more specific.
berwickj
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 - 04:25 AM UTC
1.05 mm or around 4/100 of an inch is the right size.

hth
John
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 05:19 AM UTC
Hi Tim. I guesstimate with the I guess and by god method. I take thin copper wire and lope it around a nail and then twist it around. Cut off the length neede and glue the kit shackles on. Paints easy and bends to shape and also stays where you put it unlike strings. 2 cents worth but could depreciate depending on need.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 10:13 AM UTC
Thanks guys. ended up picking up some 1mm beading cord at HobbyLobby. Got home and found out it was stretch stuff, but seems to work O.K. An at $2 .....
 _GOTOTOP