Aussie uniform colors in Vietnam...?
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:02 AM UTC
Heya, folks,

I was wondering what the best colors would be to paint Aussie Tank and APC as well as Infantry uniforms for a Vietnam diorama. Any suggestions would be welcomed, particularly with Tamiya or Vallejo colors...

Thanks!

Aloha,

Johnny B
thenamshow
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:37 AM UTC
before you trust me get some input from someone eles. I would say to paint it olive drab? but im not sure. look for some refrence ictures on google or something. you could even ask AW he might know but as far as i know im not sure.
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 05:07 PM UTC
Havoc,
I have handled quite a few Aussie and kiwi uniforms from the Vietnam conflict, so I'm going to give this my best shot.
Both countries issued drill uniforms in the colour Jungle Green.
This started life as a very dark green (about Pantone 553 or 560 - I use Pantone references as a standard because of my work as a graphic designer), but faded with repeated washings to a mid green colour (say Pantones 555, 575 or 576) and eventually could even be washed out to a pale blue green colour (say Pantone 558).
Uniforms in both countries were made by several manufacturers and the washed colour varied depending on the dye batch.
Add to this the ground-in red clay, dust and mud (Pantone 1525..?) of Vietnam and you've got quite a plaette to work from.
Aussie and NZ troopers did some swapping between them, but generally the uniforms were of the same type - early on, the shirts had two breast pockets (some with pleats, some not) and epaulettes, while the trousers (pants) were a cross-over type with buckles at the waist and one large map pocket on the left leg.
Later, the Aussies introduced the 'pixie' shirt and pants - the shirt had two large slant pockets on the chest and one pleated pocket on each arm, all with flaps and secured by one button each; the trousers had conventional belt loops (button down type) and two thigh pockets, anchoered at the outside leg seam and coming halfway round the front of the leg - this same basic design is still in use with the Ausies today, only in that bloody awful Auscam...
That's dress for the field and fatigues - later, Kiwi troops started dressing in 'dacrons' which they had tailored on leave in Singapore or Malaysia; these were a much darker green (Pantone 5467) but didn't fade, being synthetic - strictly base wear and for walking out.
Hope that helps...

acav out
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:51 PM UTC
Havoc, here's a starting point with the Ozzie M113.....Jim

Australian M113 Walkaround
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:54 PM UTC
And, a highly recommended book on the Centurion in Australian service:

Centurion Book Review ....Jim
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And, a highly recommended book on the Centurion in Australian service:

Centurion Book Review ....Jim

but, this looks like a book i could use too... thnx for the link
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:20 PM UTC
If anyone fancies (and what sensible person wouldn't ) here is a link for the LEGENDS Centurion Conversion set:

LEGEND CENT. CONVERSION

AND FIRESTORM's Conversion for the Australian M113:

FIRESTORM M113

AND (Also from Firestorm) Their Australian Centurion MK.V Conversion......

FIRESTORM WEBSITE

Enjoy.....Credit Cards at the Ready :-) ....Jim
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:29 AM UTC
Here is the link you REALLY need....Jim

SHADOWWORKS
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:46 AM UTC
Thanks for all the info and help, Guys!

Yeah, I've got the Mouse House book on the Aussie Cent in Vietnam --- it is a MUST have...

I also have the Firestorm M113 conversion as well as a bunch of their VN figures... Their products are great --- I cannot wait for their release of Australian Vietnam Infantry figures...

So Shadoworks does not have a website where we can eyeball their products....?

Also, the most recent VLS catologue news papge mentioned that Trumpeter is coming out with a number of Centurion kits, including the Aussie VN version! I'd pick that up --- certainly gonna be a lot easier than slaving over the Tamiya Cent with the Legends conversion (not that I have any real complaints EXCEPT for building the @#$%9 turret basket!! ARG!

Aloha,

Johnny B.
 _GOTOTOP