_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
willys jeep windshield cover
vonryan11
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 12:33 AM UTC
i need some input
i'm making a canvas covered windshield for the tamiya willys jeep in 1/35th, i'm using foil from yogurt containers. i've wrapped the kit part and introduced a few small folds/wrinkles. it looks good but somehow i'm not satisfied with it. any suggestions for improving it?
how about aftermarket parts?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 12:49 AM UTC
vonryan11
I am trying to envision your dissatisfaction and am seeing, hard creases or unnatural folds.

There are two alternate methods you can try 1. Use putty to cover the windsheild and mold it and sand it accordingly. 2. cover it with tissue paper soaked in white glue/water mixture.

One last thing you can try if you want is to add putty to what you've already done to 'smooth' out the folds.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 03:33 AM UTC
Vonryan,
Personally, I'd sugesst the putty route with one small change. Roll your putty out nice and thin using a rolling pin and some talcum powder (baby powder works fine and smells nice too), then cut out a piece appropriately sized and apply it. Folds and wrinkle can be made using tooth picks, a piece of sprue or whatever. Once it dries, simply paint, wash and drybrush. For a good surface to roll the putty out flat on I reccomend a pane of glass. I have an old glass cutting board the wife was going to pitch. Apply some powder to it first to prevent sticking and apply powder to the rolling pin, also to prevent sticing. I have been doing this for quite awhile now and it is a great method for making this stuff. Hope this helps. "Q"
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 03:51 AM UTC
Welcome to the site Vonryan.
I don't want to throw a wrench in the works here but, I use the tissue method with great results. I just feel it's easier to work with. Wrinkles and folds are simple to replicate, and the cloth texture is already there.
Wait a little bit before you decide which way to go with it as there could be other ideas along here soon.
vonryan11
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 09:54 AM UTC
thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me out on this. i really do appreciate it. i'll try both putty and tissue techniques on spares after i get back from the shooting range.
have a safe and happy independence day. god bless america.
vonryan11
 _GOTOTOP