_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Figure Painting
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 02:24 AM UTC
I've purchased Andrea Miniatures 1/16 German (Resin) MG 42 Schutze, 1944. I'm wanting to paint the figure in the overall "White" winter camouflage and I have to prime the figure so my question is, what color primer should I use? Being this will be my first attempt I was thinking using Vallejo light gray. Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 02:44 AM UTC
A light grey primer would be ideal.
The base coat needs to be an off-white shade, which will allow you to use white to create highlights, and various shades of grey for shading. Remember also, that such clothing would become dirty very quickly.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 03:23 AM UTC
Tamiya makes a white primer.
Bravo36
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 04:23 AM UTC
Tamiya light gray primer would be best. Then use various shades of off-white for the uniform. I’d use those with a yellow tint, rather than a gray tint. Finish with pure white for the highlights
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 11:28 AM UTC
The white primer helps to cover in less coat but the gray one is better because it helps in shading, another simple technique that can help a lot is give the gray primer and then with the AB or can from the zenith point give a light mist of white that settles only where the highlights go, and if you want you can also give a darker thinned gray in the deeper shadows that helps, a general rule is never use pure white or black, are unnatural, only in small quantities for the deeper shadows or the most extreme highlights,you chosen one of the most difficult colors, black and white are among the most difficult,the big scale on one side helps but on the other side helps to see the mistake,but when the sculpt it's very good it's easier to see and understand were shadows and lights goes and paints the small details,a good help if you use Acrilycs is the set for white,Andrea,scale 75,AK,lifecolors (whiteWood),Vallejo and Ammo all have one
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 - 04:10 AM UTC
I wouldn't suggest white, or even gray, primer as a base coat. I find it's not matte enough for even applications of brush painting. Rather, airbrush light/medium gray over the primer first. A matte acrylic base is easier to paint over.

There's a technique of spraying black over-all, then white from above, all around. That way, you have pre-shading, and pre-highlighting, before adding color.
Venko555
Visit this Community
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 908 posts
Armorama: 698 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 - 04:13 AM UTC
I never have problems brush painting over Mr.Finishing Surfacer 1500 grey or white
As said, for white uniforms is better to start with grey base, helps shading.

Venelin
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 - 10:51 AM UTC
I with primer I had only once problems with brush coverage, with Tamiya Primer Fine instead with the normal one never, even with Badger Stynylrez aka UMP aka Ammo One shot primer always perfect everything, as also with Humbrol and Mr Surfacer, personally I prefer gray but everyone has his technique
mrblackpublications
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 - 11:02 PM UTC
Dear Tony,
As this is a large figure with very nice curves and sculpting I would suggest you use a Grey Primer Spray first. With this color you can spot any small imperfections you may do not see at first sight and correct them! An airbrush I would recommend also for painting the shadows (airbrush from down upwards) and for highlights (airbrush from above). You will see easily where the lights and shadows must be so to help you with the brush painting later. Vallejo Model Colors are ideal for brush painting but you must stir them very well to avoid glossy or satin finish. You can add Tamiya Flat Base or AK-Interactive Ultra Matt Varnish. The Off white of Vallejo is a good choice for starting the highlights...A good choice also is the Panzer Aces Sets.
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 08:36 PM UTC
Thank you all for the advice and I certainly have something to work with now. Again, thank you.
 _GOTOTOP