_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
News
SOL: German Female Tankers
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 - 07:59 PM UTC

New female figures at 1/16 from Sol Models, representing a WWII German Crew.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 03:12 AM UTC
Hrumph...Frauleinen und Panzers! Where's "Ilsa of the SS"?
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 04:28 AM UTC
Correction: Fräuleins und Panzer. I think that Wehrmacht regulations would insist of making a hairknot. Otherwise, the Fräulein Leutnant could snag their hair anywhere.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 04:37 AM UTC
I thought only the Russians used female tank crews. Waists seem to small on some.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought only the Russians used female tank crews. Waists seem to small on some.

They really seem to have anime slim figure measurements. Maybe they're young ladies from certain high schools that have tankery teams.

They built a full size replica of the Pzkpfw IV H from Girls und Panzer to advertise the series and upcoming movies and the musical tour and other franchises.

This seems to actually be a pair of SS panzer ladies and three Wehrmacht Panzer ladies.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 05:04 AM UTC
I don't get the whole "Girls und Panzers" concept, nor the Japanese fascination with anything German/Nazi. There are whole subcultures that dress up and play Nazi in Japan and it is fully accepted. It definitely would not fly in Europe nor America.
Dinocamo
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 05:20 AM UTC
The only thing I could like about Girls und Paner thing is the interior of some vehicles. I really wanted them to release a kit of the Panzer IV G w/ interior as promotion, which is possible for many manufacturers as the blueprint is there. But nope... overpriced kit with cute girls figures. I do aware of Dragon interior kit line up announced recently still.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 07:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't get the whole "Girls und Panzers" concept, nor the Japanese fascination with anything German/Nazi. There are whole subcultures that dress up and play Nazi in Japan and it is fully accepted. It definitely would not fly in Europe nor America.

Plenty of Westerners run around playing Nazi. And lots of others run around calling everyone who doesn't agree with them a Nazi. Its called social media.

Any series that explains mils and ranging and the worm formula that easily in an opening episode is fine by me. If only it had been around back when I was learning degraded mode gunnery and range estimation.

Lots of anime and manga take a bit more imagination and suspension of disbelief than most people are willing to give. It's like Trying to explain the creative process behind doing webcomics. Blank stare. Can't get their head around it.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 07:54 AM UTC
Speaking of Manga, this entire set seems rather cartoonish to me or actually more of a joke, really. We could suspend disbelief, and say these are for some under-served 'what-if' community, but it almost looks like SOL could quite decide whether they were going for alternative reality or just a sexy tanker chick vibe. Don't get me wrong; I'm not offended, just bewildered.

And you're right, Paul: the waist on the "commander" would make even Barbie cringe.

Just my $0.02...

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 08:01 AM UTC
Do models of women always have to have a D cup?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 12:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Their "...cups runneth over..."
steviecee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 01:43 PM UTC
I don't understand the whole concept of girls and panzers (or kanmusu) nor do I find it offensive but if it helps keep the industry profitable then they're great
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 - 01:13 AM UTC
At least there is a "pointing" figure!
Jesse
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well the tank commander obviously has implants. The other ladies aren't that top heavy.

I think these are the 1946 economy crews who as supermodels could operate on near starvation all vegan gluten free diets. One head of cabbage and some seaweed could feed the whole crew for a week.
Blaubar
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 261 posts
Armorama: 246 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 - 04:28 AM UTC
That waist is just awful. As already stated, even Barbie is fat in comparison.🤦🏻‍♂️
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

https://www.9thrs.org/

This is but one of many out there. The Death's Head and SS insignia seem to figure pretty predominately with these dudes.

And as for this statement:

Lots of anime and manga take a bit more imagination and suspension of disbelief than most people are willing to give. It's like Trying to explain the creative process behind doing webcomics. Blank stare. Can't get their head around it.

I just finished watching the Ghibli Fest last week with my wife and daughter. Not something I would have chosen to do on my own, but some were pretty enjoyable, especially Grave of the Fireflies. I like that one so much I'd like to see the live action version of it. Plus, the opportunity to spend time with the girls instead of some inhospitable place is always welcome.

Let's remember, there are plenty of folks out there who probably don't get our fascination with sticking pieces of plastic together (that we didn't design or even help with it - well, most of us anyway) and then acting like serious art critics or historians if we're able to point out that someone did not use the correct shade of Olive Drab or RAL 6014 Gelboliv.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 - 05:34 AM UTC
Ironic statement: I was turned onto anime (before it was called that) around 1977 at an IPMS meeting. Japanese made model kits have a relationship with anime/manga forever.

And anime norms and proportions often sneak into Asian made figures (especially female ones) These are similar to the tall thin style of character design.

Now I have get back to watching more if the Lupin III franchise and wonder why I like it so much.
Monsoon
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 - 12:38 PM UTC
Eh, I don't mind them at all, except for the skinny waist commander and the fact most seem have the Knights Cross
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 - 01:25 PM UTC
Geez this seems like another dumb offering to please those still living in their parent's basements...the same one that giggle and point when there is an offering of scantily-clad babes. I just shake my head and move on. Whatever...
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 08:20 AM UTC
Good thing I don't have a basement.

https://imgur.com/gallery/TwbCvAU
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 09:37 AM UTC
I'm with Gino, and a lot of other folks who've replied to this post-- I just don't get the attraction, but then again I'm old, and my adult daughters and even my wife tell me my taste in music is rather dated too. Then again, I'm a little more practical I guess, than some modelers, in that I won't spend money on stuff that didn't actually exist in a historical setting. That doesn't keep me from admiring the artwork some modelers put into making these items though. In the end, Isn't that what modeling is--art? But like any art, we like some of it, and we don't like others. However, my real question is with the name of the company that produces this stuff-- doesn't anyone else (who might have been connected to the service in any way) find "SOL" as a particularly ironic name to choose?

VR, Russ
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 11:26 AM UTC
Some don't want to look over the hedge while others build ladders.

Sol can also mean sun as in bright as the sun and Enlightenment through the rays of the sun. Light, vision, inspiration and insight.
 _GOTOTOP