_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
First Attempt
FiveOduece
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:09 PM UTC
This is my first attempt at a diorama, and the first time in 15 years I have painted figures(still in my twenties though). The base itself is not finished, I will stain or paint it. I realize I could of added some propaganda posters, or some short of street lamp, but I was trying to keep cost low, and practice with the basics of making a diorama. I scratch built the building, using vinyl spackle, foam board, and balsa wood. The rubble is spackle, ballast for railroading, and a little from build-a rama. Figures are stantard issue Tamiya. There were minor alterations made to the figures, putty that is in many places, from having to cut or break arms to get them to fit better...I know there are better manufacturers out there, but they had been packed away and forgotten about. Give me feedback! (be gentle)
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 09:59 PM UTC
Hi FiveOdeuce
First of all welcome to Armorama and your diorama is a good one for a first attempt. I will add a few of my humble opinions for your further work. I liked your figure choice and painting of the figures
a diorama has an angle of look and the positioning of the figures usually depends on that.for example believing the MG team as the front of your dio I have no chance to see the figure inside the house or the side wall of the building.thats why you should place your buildings diagonal to the front side of your diorama not paralell. in that way you can make both walls visible from each angle.I dont know if this house ruin is a kit or scratch built but it would be better with a door instead of too much windows so you could easily show us the figure inside the building placing it next to the door. I will not make comments on the rubble on the street it can be much and less depending on your chocie. in this diorama the wooden floor section looks not much damaged but there is too much rubble inside the house .another humble opinion -your diobase is a little big if it is build to have 5 figures but no vehicle. you can do smaller vignettes to display only figures or add some vehicles when you do larger dioramas.
Please dont judge those as no mercy critics-they are only friendly comments of another diorama builder....congrats on your work and waiting to see more dioramas on your side.
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:53 PM UTC
I agree with Graywolf, u made a 4-sided dio it is a goot thing if ur gonna put it in a middle of some room, otherwise some of your hard work will not be noticed at all... maybe to crakc down that house wall some more, so the gig inside can be seen...

otherwise, good job on the figs and the ground
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:38 PM UTC
Nice overall job on a diorama. You can see you have tried to implement a number of different techniques. You know, we all have to start somewhere.
Your figures are nicely done. I would offer that you can work on shadowing your figures a bit. Look in to pastels to weather the lower portions to blend them into the base a touch more.
General Diorama Tip
For diorama building I go through a process asking myself "How'd it... " questions, "How'd this figure get here?" "How'd this rubble fall here, or break off, where'd it come from?" "Where'd this building 'live', does it fit the architecture?" If you ask A LOT of those questions throught the process then it will make some things fall into place a bit easier.
Specific tip
The building's windows aren't convincing to me. They are IMHO to small and to high. I'm not going to say that you are 'wrong' or should Not have made them this way, I've seen dioramas that don't 'look right' to me be supported by photos. So it could be just right. I'm offering my opinion. I agree a door would be nice.
Posters will be a nice touch, pastel or dust the street, the bricks are to 'clean' and bright.

Is that a Kencali street? Looks like it - those things are awsome!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:03 AM UTC
What the other guys said.
For first figures in 15 years, you're off to a very good start. My only comments are that you could use a bit more focus to the scene, i.e., there doesn't seem to be one spot from which the viewer is expected to see and where the action points you. This is pretty advanced art thinking and it's taken me a long time to even begin to get there. The good news is, your action is consistent. My other thought is the MG team is exposing itself to serious return fire. The small canister is going to be empty right quick and they are going to be pretty dood targets. An abandoned vehicle in front of them would give their position more creedence.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:17 AM UTC
Welcome aboard fiveoduece!

Not bad at all but maybe it is too large of a base for the limited action going on. You need to think 'storage' with something like that when completed. Later on down the road, you might run out of display room. (I think that we all have reached that point at one time or another. )

From a tactical point of view, the MG team should be in the back (behind the wall/pile of rubble) laying down a suppressive fire while the infantry advances. You wouldn't want to expose and risk losing your heavy weapons out in the open like that unless running and firing from the hip.
FiveOduece
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 05:36 AM UTC
Can you give me any more tips on the Pastels, I want more shadowing, and was unsure how to create it.

I agree, I have to have a prespective that is easy for the eye to follow, and all angles can be taken in.

The placement of the MG team was orginally nearer the corner of the building, but for some reason I changed it. They would be decimated if they had to change out the magazine.

The street is Kencali.

The building is scratch built.

Thank you for all the help and pointers.. I appreciate it.
 _GOTOTOP