_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Any Tips on ReWorking 1/35 Breadbags?
FNG
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 05:26 PM UTC
I'm working on several figs ..DML, Tamiya...I've used paper for loops/straps...but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas to make breadbags sit more naturally...look better. I carve out areas around the belt line so the equipment will sit better. I was just wondering if anyone had other ideas on reworking equipment. Straps ..natural hang..etc... I do use alot of ref. pics ...they help with various placements and carry styles. Throwing the topic out there to get some feedback and I'm sure varying methods Thanks JC
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 06:16 PM UTC
Try lead foil. PM me your address and I'll send you some.
FNG
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 07:08 PM UTC
Thanks for the idea Robert...I have some...just have to try it...thanks again
BUTA46
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 12:45 AM UTC
Jeff, skim for some of Jerry Rutman’s threads. He covers the bread bags and straps pretty well.
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 06:15 AM UTC
I have been using blue painters tape to make straps and slings. I cut thin strips of the roll. The stuff is pretty durable for bending into the correct shape or droop, takes paint really well, and sticks with super glue with a little patience.
FNG
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 10:29 PM UTC
Yes always checkin and watching Jerry's threads. Good idea on the tape, never tried that. Just beginning to get into FrakenFigures..lol. Thanks for the tips
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2018 - 09:51 AM UTC
Hi Jeff

One way I do this is a form of casting. Make a mould of the piece you want to make copies of, using a mould making product. Make sure it is thick enough to retain its shape. Then when that is cured use a two part epoxy putty to make a casting - I use Magic Sculpt but there are others.

Mix the putty and press it firmly into the mould. As the mould returns to shape it will push out the excess putty that you can trim off with a blade and smooth out with a moistened finger. You can also hollow it out a little as well if you need to. Once the putty has started to harden and will hold it general shape and detail, pop it out of the mould and gently press it in place on your figure and it will naturally conform to shape to fit. (Note - use gloves or some cling film to stop pressing fingerprints into the putty)

This way you always get slightly different shapes and fit which adds more interest than all the figgies having the same ones.

If you think you will have little use for the whole amount of mould material try using white silicone sealant as a mould making agent. This is not the white paintable gap sealant, I mean the white type used for sealing joins in bathrooms and wet areas. The white type should not stick to your master part like the clear and coloured ones do, but still test it first on a not needed part or a sprue runner, as what you guys get may be a little different to what we get here in Oz)

FNG
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2018 - 04:26 PM UTC
Thanks Peter, another good idea....Ive never done any casting. I think I have some caulk around here somewhere. May break out the Milliput and try my hand at sculpting a few. Just want to show some difference in the figs equipmnt. I have a small dio/vignette I'm working on with six German 6th army figs peering around a brick corner. Its based on a photograph from Stalingrad. Thanks again Always looking for equipmnt. improvement techniques.........
 _GOTOTOP