_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
M4a2 beutepanzer painting help needed
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2018 - 10:22 PM UTC
Got myself an early Christmas gift, cyber-hobby M4a2 beutepanzer. I noticed the decals were for a unit on the eastern front so I’m assuming it was captured there. My conundrum is what should the base color be, would it be olive drab because it was lend lease or would it be Russian green? I know the Germans would repaint and use olivegrun for there green but I’m not to sure where to start here. Any help would be appreciated.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 12:35 AM UTC
Paint it OD. It wouldn't have been used long enough by the Germans to get a repaint outside of some markings.often overlooked would be the shipping stencilling on the the tank and the US serial numbers.
thenorm
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 09:31 AM UTC
Knowing the kit he is talking about, that M4A2 was captured and in service with 14. Panzer division and was photographed in Kurland. It had been in German service to get a full re-paint with the 3 color scheme. That is a good question though, I don't know if US or British Lend-lease vehicles were re-painted in Protective K or 4BO.

Note the Cyber Hobby kit is missing at least one set of the 14th panzer insignia, it only presents them on the sides of the hull, but as seen in the first image it was on the front of the final drive cover as well, as was an additional cross. There is a Kolibri decals set available including these markings if you want to bother correcting this.
 _GOTOTOP