_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
Romanian BT-7
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 05:22 PM UTC
I read that the Romanians captured 50 some odd BT-7s. Did they use them? Did the see combat in Romanian markings. What did they look like?
PzDave
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 07:55 PM UTC
That would be an interesting topic! I took a little time to look that up. Found nothing on the BT-7's. But having said that with the number of BT-7's laying aroung during the early stahes of the invasion of Russia --it would figure. As you know the germans used captured T-34's. Those are well documented. It would stand to reason that the German allies the Romanians would latch on to some BT-7's. But as they moved east keeping them in order would be a problem. And after Stalingrad--no waay!! Good hunting down the topic. It would be fun to model something on that topic. Maybe there are some Miniart or other companies who do 1/35th figures.
MrCompletely
Visit this Community
Saitama-ken, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2018 - 10:05 PM UTC
Though I can't recall ever seeing any pix of Romanian BTs, it certainly seems within the realms of possibility. The Finns had a mix of BTs, but apparently had mostly stopped using them by '43. German police units used, there are several pix. I read the Romanians only got around 3 dozen, not 50, but never mind. Why not just go ahead and mark/paint one in typical Romanian style for the time period?
TonyE78
Visit this Community
Hordaland, Norway
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 - 02:40 AM UTC
30+ were recovered from the field in 1941, but officially they did not use captured BT-series tanks, the lack of spare parts and poor condition of the vehicles most likely being the reason. Some might have been used as training hulks (one show up in a listing in 1944 but is mentioned to be immobile). The 45mm guns were later used to rearm Renault R-35s and parts of the hulls is said to have been used to make the gun shields for the TACAM-series. There might howevere have been isolated cases where a captured tank or two were used for a short time until it broke down and those cases would not show up in reports or archive material. A few T-26s were used however, one picture does exist showing one in 1942.

The finns did use captured BT5/7 for a short time in 1941, with a few lingering on until early 1942 (BT-42 assault gun is a different story), there are also a fair amount of photos of these: https://www.jaegerplatoon.net/TANKS5.htm
 _GOTOTOP