_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Su-122-54: How common?
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 - 04:16 AM UTC
Miniart is going to release a second Su-122-54. I have never heard about this vehicle before Miniartīs first announcement. So, how common was this vehicle, or is it just a what-if or did only prototypes exist?

Thanks,

Thomas
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 - 08:03 AM UTC
https://tankandafvnews.com/tag/su-122-54/
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 - 09:54 AM UTC
it was certainly not a "What if" and a bit of careful Googling will show it deployed on the invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968.

I can't quite remember how many were reportedly manufactured - possibly around a hundred or so - but it was a fairly lethal piece of kit, not least as I think it was the only Soviet anti tank equipment with a dedicated rangefinder.

What I do find remarkable is that it appeared to have bypassed the attentions of the various Allied military missions - that is - assuming it was deployed as frontline equipment in East Germany, which surely, it must have been.

Whilst I haven't yet purchased one (I think Trumpeter are also bringing a version out)it is, to me, a fascinating vehicle.

Hats off to Miniart.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 06:09 PM UTC
Reading the article gave me no indication that this was a big secret for the Russians. The gun was well known, the hull was well known and the SU100 was well known. I don't see a big difference from the SU100 except for the optics/rangefinder. Both the SU100 and this vehicle have similar advantages and disadvantages of a turretless design. Due to only 100 being built, there would not be much of a combat multiplier. I think a better option would be a T55 with a good rangefinder. This vehicle may have been more for blowing up buildings than tanks. However, it still looks cool.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Miniart is going to release a second Su-122-54. I have never heard about this vehicle before Miniartīs first announcement. So, how common was this vehicle, or is it just a what-if or did only prototypes exist?

Thanks,

Thomas

It is already out I seen it at my local hobby shop last weekend
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 03:43 AM UTC
I bought the ARV variant recently (TOP). A common sight in 1980s/1990s military parades, looks like a nice kit if a bit overcomplicated in places, at least there is no interior and you got the options of using torsion bars or simplified fittings for the suspension.

Cheers,

Christophe
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What I do find remarkable is that it appeared to have bypassed the attentions of the various Allied military missions - that is - assuming it was deployed as frontline equipment in East Germany, which surely, it must have been.

There were about 85 +/- made, and it was kept out of Germany and other areas visited by "prying eyes". This article gives a good explanation.

KL
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 05:11 AM UTC
It's interesting that that article mentions Viktor Suvarov.
There's been a lot of debate about the validity of his claims, especially those related to WWII.
I've read much of his work, and still have the Liberators and Inside the GRU. I would probably be inclined to believe most of what he has to say regarding tank development. He spent a good portion of his career in that realm.
These two books make interesting reads, but his claims that the Soviets built underwater channels to guide their snorkeling tanks on maneuvers seem a bit far fetched to me.
The GRU book is mainly nonsense, especially to those in the intelligence community, but it was entertaining to me as a young SF troop, until I learned better. We've pretty much taken it apart since then.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

There were about 85 +/- made, and it was kept out of Germany and other areas visited by "prying eyes". This article gives a good explanation.

KL

Now that was fascinating - and to me it's always interesting to be able to set a model in context. Thanks for that, very much.

All hail to Armorama yet again - and Kurt of course!

Brian

_GOTOTOP