_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Important News: Please Read!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 04:36 AM UTC
A couple of things. First there is an email circulating around that is apparently generated by some kind of virus script. The message appears to come from "[email protected]". First off: YOU WILL NEVER GET A REAL EMAIL FROM THAT ADDRESS. This is an "alias" address and cannot SEND mail from our server. The email is being spoofed (the reply to info is faked) to make it appear this way. In actuality the email is being sent from users with infected PCs.

So don't open the attachments from this email. Delete any emails you see from this account or also these:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
etc...

The only accounts I send actual mail from are "[email protected]" and "[email protected]". There are a few exceptions to this rule but they are for things like the "Send to a friend" feature in Photopost.

Also !!

I no longer have access to the site (or possibly mail) from work. This was something I did myself to keep me honest at work and make sure that I keep my priorities straight there. This means I won't be able to monitor the site during the day and I will need staff members to deal with any issues that might arise, etc.

As a result of this I will have only weeknights and weekends to do work on the site. If you have questions or problems (and are a staff member) I would STRONGLY recommend that you use the Staff Support Forum so that other staff members can help resolve them. I am not the only person "in the know" around here.

Cheers,
Jim
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 04:38 AM UTC
Sir Yes Sir
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 04:46 AM UTC
ACK!

Gunnie
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 05:13 AM UTC
ACK
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 05:17 AM UTC
Hi,

OK

TUNA
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 449 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 06:03 AM UTC
The latest viruses out there that are like the one's Jim is talking about are ZIP files... so beware any mails with Zip Files as an attachment... When the ZIP file is opened, the virus executes on your machine.. some of these viruses even 'password protect' the ZIP file so that Anti Virus software won't be able to scan the file.. and they provide the password to you to open it.. again.. avoid these mails big time.. just delete em!

In fact the safe way is to stay away from opening attachments from anyone (including people you know) unless you've confirmed that the sender was indeed sending you one...

Stay Clean!

Charlie

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 06:15 AM UTC
There is also another scam going around, called Phish or Phishing. where they make it look like they're from ebay or pay pal to get you personal info. Phish Scam

Quoted Text

I no longer have access to the site (or possibly mail) from work. This was something I did myself to keep me honest at work and make sure that I keep my priorities straight there.

I admire you Jim. I'm an addict, I freely admit it, I don't think I could survive work without my Armorama fix. I'm writing this at work right now. Of course I'm also chatting with three customers at the same time so it's not like my work is suffering. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm an addict, I freely admit it, I don't think I could survive work without my Armorama fix...

Same here... I am fortunate enough to be able to have it on all day long too...

(I hope that there isn't a problem with being logged on here all day....)
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 07:01 AM UTC
ACK.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 07:26 AM UTC
Roger that.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 07:32 AM UTC
Ok Jim!
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 08:37 AM UTC
okie doekie boss

PS> settle down and 'ave a tinnie on me to relieve the stress of not viewing the site for 12 hours a day. #:-)
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2004 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hi Jim

Ack! on both fronts. :-)

Luckily, my work (video editing) doesn't allow me to be on-line... otherwise it'd be Armorama all day! The weekends are bad enough... and that's when I'm (theoretically) supposed to be actually building models!

All the best

Rowan
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 790 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There is also another scam going around, called Phish or Phishing. where they make it look like they're from ebay or pay pal to get you personal info. Phish Scam

Ebay offers a free browser toolbar for Internet Exploder that is supposed to authenticate that you truly are on one fo their pages, before entering anything into the forms.
(I've got that email twice now and it really looks authentic BUT if you float your mouse over the hyperlinks in the email they all point to some IP and not www.ebay.com/blah/blah)

Anyway if anyone uses Exploder on Windows and wants the toolbar, it is here:
http://pages.ebay.com/ebay_toolbar/

I dl'd it, saw it worked, and uncheked it in "View --> Toolbars" because I dont need it but once in a while, it sticks a little gizmo down by the clock that is pretty blatant for those fo you doing this from work.

Hope no one here falls for that scam that says ' you gotta log in to validate your account, or you wont be able to trade, blah, blah, BS, BS'
 _GOTOTOP