_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Missing Alan SU-76M part :(
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 04:30 AM UTC
I bought the kit for a very low price... And now I know the reason. I already knew that the kit had no box, instructions or decals, but also a part is missing! It is the part C80, the curved armored shield for the main gun

Replacement part? Imposible, so a new one must be scratched. I noticed that the armored cover for the recoil system must be glued in the center line of the shield, but according to my info it must be offset to the left (when looking the SPG from the front). I already cut a piece of sheet styrene, and curved it, but I need some actual measures to make an accurate replacement. this is a rough sketch I made:

All I need is length "A", "B" and "C" or "D" (either will give me the correct offset)... The plans I have were found on the net and are not to scale, it will be difficult to scale it as they're mostly low-quality scans. Measures can be taken from Miniart or Tamiya kits, they're far more accurate than Alan's. Thanks a lot in advance. Best regards.

José.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 04:48 AM UTC
A = 26 mm
B = 16 mm
C = 7 mm
D = 9 mm
C and D do not meet in a sharp point, it is slightly rounded.
Measured on the Miniart kit 35053.
/ Robin
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 10:47 AM UTC
Thanks a lot! Time to trim some styrene ^^ Best regards.

José.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 02:14 PM UTC
Hi Jose

The Tamiya kit is slightly different
A = 28.5 mm
B = 16.5 mm
C = 8 mm
D = 9.5 mm

with the opening offset like this

Your best bet is to use the kit parts as a guide i.e. the recuperator cover will already be angled to fit the curve on the missing part, so use that as the basis to determine the curve and for A to look right on the kit. From the side the apex of your piece should be a little more than 1mm as a vertical measurement above the roof line.

B will be based on the width of the Mantlet this piece fits up against on your kit. Then c and d will be governed by your centreline

Note the bottom intersections of C and D are not directly opposite each other as per your pic - you can see the difference in the image of the Tamiya part above
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 05:02 PM UTC
Thanks a lot, I'll consider all options. 28.5 looks more accurate. Maybe I'll use a mix of measurements Best regards.

José.
 _GOTOTOP