Hosted by Darren Baker
1/16 Panzer IVF1 engine???
HarrisHawk
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2019 - 03:48 PM UTC
The engine in the Trumpeter kit is horrible, and I seem to recall a better offering to fix this issue. I can't seem to find any info on where to get this product. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2019 - 04:45 PM UTC
You’re not thinking of the Meng offering, are you? It’s a new engine for the Ausf H, if it’s not too different?
HarrisHawk
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2019 - 05:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You’re not thinking of the Meng offering, are you? It’s a new engine for the Ausf H, if it’s not too different?

Didn't know Meng did 1/16 scale. Don't think it was Meng. Any pics?
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2019 - 06:15 PM UTC
This what you're looking for?

https://www.afvmodeller.com/product/116-maybach-hl-120-trm-engine/
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2,663 posts
Armorama: 2,649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2019 - 10:41 PM UTC
It doesn't matter, all you can see of it is this.

Regards.
Donald
HarrisHawk
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 01:01 PM UTC

Yes, that's the one. Thanks.
HarrisHawk
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Regards.
Donald

That's true. However, I'm considering building it where the rear deck will lift off to display the engine compartment. Just trying to see how I'd like to proceed with this build. The pics you posted were very helpful, and I may not go with the resin engine kit, as it's a very expensive item. Did you add any details to the engine compartment with your build?
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 01:52 PM UTC
Shapeways has a couple of engines but they are more expensive than the AFV modler offering. They also have a lot of parts that could improve the one that comes from the kit and they are much cheaper. Perhaps you could keep the block from the kit and improve it since the block would be mostly hidden.
HarrisHawk
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 03:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Shapeways has a couple of engines but they are more expensive than the AFV modler offering. They also have a lot of parts that could improve the one that comes from the kit and they are much cheaper. Perhaps you could keep the block from the kit and improve it since the block would be mostly hidden.

Yes, that's an excellent idea. I'll check that out for a bit more detail, without going crazy with detail, and expense. Especially detail that won't be easily seen, even with lift off panels. Thanks.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 06:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yes, that's an excellent idea. I'll check that out for a bit more detail, without going crazy with detail, and expense. Especially detail that won't be easily seen, even with lift off panels. Thanks.

Look at this:
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=Maybach+HL+120+TRM+1%2F16

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/das-kugellager?li=pb
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Regards.
Donald

That's true. However, I'm considering building it where the rear deck will lift off to display the engine compartment. Just trying to see how I'd like to proceed with this build. The pics you posted were very helpful, and I may not go with the resin engine kit, as it's a very expensive item. Did you add any details to the engine compartment with your build?

No , there was no point in doing that. The Pics. were of the Ausf.H when I did the Ausf. J I just glued the hatches shut. nothing in side.
Donald

The resin engine is really nice, but $140 to $160 for an engine? That's almost what I paid for the whole kit.
HarrisHawk
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 - 04:47 PM UTC
OldWarloke, I see your point about the detail being marginally visible, even with the hatches open, and the cost point breaks the whole deal. What did you use to scratch your belts with? Thanks for the spot on replies, and info from all.
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 - 10:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OldWarloke, I see your point about the detail being marginally visible, even with the hatches open, and the cost point breaks the whole deal. What did you use to scratch your belts with? Thanks for the spot on replies, and info from all.

It's some thin solder flattened , it bends easy and stays in place. Just paint it black.
Donald
Kornbeef
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 - 11:21 PM UTC
Basic improvement would be that the motor is about3-4mm to short and the cylinder banks are not offset I cut the block and heads & covers in half crossways and inserted stock (angle is wrong but that can't be seen from above. The air filter is totally wrong and would need a new top scratching to get it something like the real thing. I thought it sits too low too so lifting it a little can help fill the void. Air filter and carb and water pump are the major visible improvements if you only have the one hatch open. The engine really is diabolical compared other trumpeter offerings.
HarrisHawk
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Basic improvement would be that the motor is about3-4mm to short and the cylinder banks are not offset I cut the block and heads & covers in half crossways and inserted stock (angle is wrong but that can't be seen from above. The air filter is totally wrong and would need a new top scratching to get it something like the real thing. I thought it sits too low too so lifting it a little can help fill the void. Air filter and carb and water pump are the major visible improvements if you only have the one hatch open. The engine really is diabolical compared other trumpeter offerings.

Thanks, any pics of your engine mods? The issues you mention about the engine are the ones I was speaking of in my first post.
 _GOTOTOP