Hosted by Darren Baker
M1 Abrams OIF
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
KitMaker: 179 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 - 03:30 PM UTC
Hi!!! just wanted to share with you some of the models I made durin 2018. Hope you like them and as always, kind criticism is welcomed!

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 - 01:36 AM UTC
Nice job on it. Academy did a good job of updating/correcting their horrible, earlier M1A1 kit, with one exception. They left the old T-156 tracks in the kit that have not been used on Abrams since the early '90s. They were replaced with T-158 tracks with the M1A1 HA (Heavy Armor) version. If you want to update the tracks, there ar a bunch of T-158 options out there.
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 - 03:30 AM UTC
Is that an acetylene bottle in the bustle rack?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 - 03:45 AM UTC
Yup, it looks like he used parts from the older Tamiya Modern U.S. Accesory set (35141) on it.

frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice job on it. Academy did a good job of updating/correcting their horrible, earlier M1A1 kit, with one exception. They left the old T-156 tracks in the kit that have not been used on Abrams since the early '90s. They were replaced with T-158 tracks with the M1A1 HA (Heavy Armor) version. If you want to update the tracks, there ar a bunch of T-158 options out there.

Yep... I know the tracks aren't the correct ones. The problem is that getting the correct tracks here in Argentina is almost impossible. Got to order them from abroad, and pray that our postal service an customs don't loose them!!!! Waiting for a fried or relative to travel aboad and get them for me.
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 - 05:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great model but for some reason, I highly doubt that a crew would stash a bottle of acetylene on their tank before going out on a patrol in Iraq.
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 - 03:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Great model but for some reason, I highly doubt that a crew would stash a bottle of acetylene on their tank before going out on a patrol in Iraq.

My tankers have just a tad of suicidal tendencies! JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA! Now, speaking seriously, I just wanted to add a little spot of colour to the build and thus took the creative license!
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

My tankers have just a tad of suicidal tendencies! JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA! Now, speaking seriously, I just wanted to add a little spot of colour to the build and thus took the creative license!

LOL! If you want to add some color and keep thing realistic, try to find one of those aftermarket coolers (ice chests) that most vehicles had over there. They came in nice shades of bright blue & red. Again, great job on your tank!
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

LOL! If you want to add some color and keep thing realistic, try to find one of those aftermarket coolers (ice chests) that most vehicles had over there. They came in nice shades of bright blue & red. Again, great job on your tank!

Many thanks!
warlock109
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 07:58 AM UTC
Yes, the tracks are good for Desert Storm. Bronco makes a nice set. kit# AB3522 T158LL Big Foot tracks. For M1A1 and M1A2 tanks. As for the acetylene tank, you could cut it in half, turn it upside down, and make come kind of generic water jug. lol

bat_213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 01:13 PM UTC
great build ,I have the kit I have in my stash
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina