_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Dry Brush or Light Sanding for Fruils ?
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 10:47 AM UTC
When I look back at the times I use Friuls, the contact patch has always been flat like pz 3, semovente or early tiger I....

I am doing the RFM Sturmtiger and using mid/late tracks from Friul. How do you guys approach the cheverons ? I dont want to overgrind them but love that contrasting look when I sand them down. I suppose dry brush after prime, paint, seal, wash and pigment?
Halbcl2
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 11:23 AM UTC
When using Friuls I take advantage of their "real" metal composition and lightly sand off any paint or blackening down to the bare metal. But this is usually just a little too bright, particularly if one considers the Pandora's box of scale effect. So I usually lightly buff the bared metal with graphite.
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 401 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 11:53 AM UTC
I put some gun metal pigment on a rubber brush and polish over the top of the links. I find it works really well for the scale.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 12:33 PM UTC
I discovered recently that Testor's makes (or made) a paint called "Track Brown" in their German colors line, which is a dead ringer for real used track (I compared it with a real M113 track I use for a doorstop). I painted my Sturm Morser VI track with it, and then burnished off the cleats-- I was surprised how realistic it turned out. You might give it a try
VR, Russ
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 12:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

When I look back at the times I use Friuls, the contact patch has always been flat like pz 3, semovente or early tiger I....

I am doing the RFM Sturmtiger and using mid/late tracks from Friul. How do you guys approach the cheverons ? I dont want to overgrind them but love that contrasting look when I sand them down. I suppose dry brush after prime, paint, seal, wash and pigment?

I like to use graphite to show wear points on metal tracks (Friuls) or on "Magic Tracks", etc. To my own eye, the silver paints look a little too bright...
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 05:40 PM UTC
Good ideas guys - I think I'll try using some gunmental pigment and my trusty 4B pencils

Or maybe dry brush with gunmetal
 _GOTOTOP