_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
miniarm ural turret
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 - 07:58 PM UTC
how much of the plug/ring needs to be removed to fit tams upper hull? also gonna use the sbs T72m forward upper hull half and some of that half ring will might need to be removed, unless I use miniarms front A glacis. thx
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 05:54 AM UTC
Hi;

FYI; I found that the best way was to Cut the Lower part of the Tamiya turret and fit it to the Bottom of the Miniarm turret ! Now just Make sure that you Dry fit the Turret Ring quite A few times before you commit to super glue ! I made this conversion on about Eleven Tamiya T-72s using Miniarm conversions. At the Time they were the only Game in Town !! Now we have all the Trumpeter T-72s Miniarm turrets were the Best, but the Tamiya hull still nedded A Lot of Work to make it look Good.

GOOD LUCK & CHEERS; MIKE.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 08:15 AM UTC
thx, that thought had occurred to me and seems now all the more doable. it'll mean removing every last bit of unnecessary bit off plastic and try to countersink it. 'course that also means removing the entire plug off the turret. still, doable

the other thing is the sbs forward upper hull. how accurate is that for a very early 72 compared to miniarm's upper glacis. thinking on using that instead, if only to keep the upper hull ring intact
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 02:50 PM UTC
Hi;

Again FYI; You mite be able to get away from cutting any resin off the Miniarm turret, as it sets lower in the Tamiya Turret opening. When cutting the Tamiya Turret, you first cut the right side finger and then the back of the turret, that leaves you A Round Disk that you can graft to the Bottom of the Miniarm turret. the only thing that you have to watch out for is that its centered properly ! Also make sure that you have the correct height on the turret so that it clears the Drivers Hatch and the Engine deck. As I already mentioned; I became A expert making T-72s convers using the Wonderful Miniarm conversions.

CHEERS; MIKE.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 04:22 PM UTC
the cutting you describe is pretty much what I had in mind. what I planned on removing from the turret was the ring right up to the flat underside and set that on the altered kit ring. seems we hink alike lol
 _GOTOTOP