_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Review
Panda: M8 AGS
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 01:00 AM UTC

Pete Becerra reviews and builds the M8 Armored Gun System from Panda Hobby in 1/35th scale.

Read the Review

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 01:08 AM UTC
Only as a static vehicle? Not necessarily

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcBIvW5HQnE

Good review, thanks Pete!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 01:30 AM UTC
With all the Wehrmacht '46 and such there's a host of tempting what-if schemes for the M8. 2ACR, 82ABN, foreign service.

Great, comprehensive review.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 01:42 AM UTC
Looks good Pete. It will be interesting to see if/when this is accepted how different it will be. Hopefully Panda will update it in that event.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 05:18 AM UTC
Now this is how a review is supposed to be. The person writes the review to best of his knowledge and ability. After submitting it, others modelers fill in the missing pieces, if any.

In this case, I should have worded my comment about "static display" a bit differently.

Thanks Pawel for catching that. I don't know why I was only thinking static display. I guess we are all so use to building these models in their natural combat habitat that we don't think about training or trial run environments.

Stephen, great suggestion. Last night I saw a Stryker with the Dragon Wittman taking a picture set and two armored suits in the snow.

Yes Gino, some add on armor like you see in the video that Pawel posted would be nice.
LonCray1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 06:44 AM UTC
It's a nice looking model and a good review, but I can't be the only one a bit peeved that we get this but still no M88A2 Hercules in 1/35 styrene.
billwinkes
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 08:17 AM UTC
Thanks so much for the review and the build. I have one on order. I’m looking forward to building it.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 11:39 AM UTC
An interesting if unexpected addition. Nice build. Good review too!
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good Pete. It will be interesting to see if/when this is accepted how different it will be. Hopefully Panda will update it in that event.

True. The web shows that the M8 AGS contender for 2018 looks different than the Panda model. For one, the LED headlights makes it look pretty attractive.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/25559/the-armys-search-for-its-first-light-tank-in-decades-is-down-to-these-two-designs
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2019 - 02:52 PM UTC
I don't understand why the review considers the lack of markings or painting schemes to be a "low" in evaluating the kit:

"Lows: Very weak pins on individual track links. Not very much to do with finished vehicle due to not being in service with the U.S."

How is that Panda's fault? Why should that count against the kit's rating in the review?

KL
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2019 - 06:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't understand why the review considers the lack of markings or painting schemes to be a "low" [b]in evaluating the kit.

How is that Panda's fault? Why should that count against the kit's rating in the review?

KL

And you know any decals would have been incorrect anyway, given it is not in service. Nor is likely to be, either. Not really the fault of the manufacturer. Rather accurate really.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2019 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I don't understand why the review considers the lack of markings or painting schemes to be a "low" [b]in evaluating the kit.

KL

And you know any decals would have been incorrect anyway, given it is not in service. Nor is likely to be, either. Not really the fault of the manufacturer. Rather accurate really.

Sounds like the perfect time saving kit
The whole gloss coat - decals - gloss coat - weathering - flat coat circus can be skipped. Just basic paint + flat coat and off into the display cabinet
Got to get me one of those ....
/ Robin
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 - 09:41 AM UTC
Stand by kids, the M8 is being re-launched with a full suite of APS as seen at #AUSAglobal. And it looks quite the part. Now, I wonder whether Panda will do the “late” version, too. Still no mention of markings, though.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 - 12:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Stand by kids, the M8 is being re-launched with a full suite of APS as seen at #AUSAglobal. And it looks quite the part. Now, I wonder whether Panda will do the “late” version, too. Still no mention of markings, though.

Do you have a link or new photo?
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 - 06:40 PM UTC
Link as requested
http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/topic/833-m8-buford-is-back/page/3/
 _GOTOTOP