_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Post-war Royal Artillery M6 HST
mecanix
Visit this Community
Kerry, Ireland
KitMaker: 201 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 12:37 AM UTC
I have just picked up the rather nice Balaton M6 HST and just to be different I wanted to build it as a vehicle from a post-war RA Nucleur Heavy Artillery Unit.
I seemed to recall a photo in the old Ian Alan /R E Smith British Army Arms and Equipment series of booklets but when I checked both my 1964 & 1968 copies all I could find under M6 HST was a picture of a 1/72nd Hasagawa M4 HST (references were very different in the dark days of ‘64).
I have checked other reference but found nothing on post-war machines so if anyone has and colour/markings information or a photo I would be very grateful if you could share.
Regards
Paddy
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 12:54 AM UTC
sure would be nice to see one in platic and an M5
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 02:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have just picked up the rather nice Balaton M6 HST and just to be different I wanted to build it as a vehicle from a post-war RA Nucleur Heavy Artillery Unit.
I seemed to recall a photo in the old Ian Alan /R E Smith British Army Arms and Equipment series of booklets but when I checked both my 1964 & 1968 copies all I could find under M6 HST was a picture of a 1/72nd Hasagawa M4 HST (references were very different in the dark days of ‘64).
I have checked other reference but found nothing on post-war machines so if anyone has and colour/markings information or a photo I would be very grateful if you could share.
Regards
Paddy

Paddy,

Are you sure about the M6 HST being used by the British? I too have the Ian Allan book but I also can't find anything on the M6 HST there.

As far as I know when the 8" Howitzer was selected by the British for the tactical nuclear role it came as a job lot with the Mack (wheeled) tractor, which was later replaced by a British 10t Leyland tractor.

If the M6 did serve in the Royal Artillery, and in a (modelling) way I almost hope it did, I would have thought that it would be in British Army Bronze Green (at least after 1955), with the RA blue and red square fore and aft, British military vehicle registration, and a bridge plate in yellow.

It might almost be worth doing one in this finish as a What-If (!)

Brian
Mech
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 02:59 AM UTC
Hi Paddy

Are you going to post any pictures of in-progress of your build.

I was interested in the M6 kit. I did not know it was released. What is the price of the kit and where did you buy it.

Cheers,

Ralph
mecanix
Visit this Community
Kerry, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 05:18 AM UTC
Brian,
My March 1964 edition of BA vehicles & Equipment part 2 Artillery (priced 3/6d)
Has two mentions.One on page 22 in the section for the 8” Gun M1 and one on page 52 for the M6 HST ‘’ a small number... have been make available for heavy towing duties with the RA” with the afor mentioned picture of the model M4.
Curiously the details given are correct for an M6. I am not too fond of what-ifs but..
Ralph..
As I didn’t make it to SMW at Telford last year I had for a short while more money than sense so as Balaton were having a 25% off Black Monday sale I ordered one.
It was about 90/100 euros including p&p.
John,
Agreed and now I have a resin one give it a couple of months someone will announce one. Looking through the book it makes me wish someone would release an M44 SPH to go with my Lance and Blue Water.
Regards
Paddy
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 05:57 AM UTC
Paddy,

Thanks for the reference; mine is the 1968 version and any mention by then is/was long gone.

I suppose if in service pre 1955 then conceivably it could still be in US Olive Drab but with the British details I described earlier. Hmmm. Not an unattractive thought. I do recall seeing an M109 in US colours but British registration etc at Larkhill when I was a nipper.

I too would welcome an M44; I seem to recall that Cookie Sewell had scratched one some time ago but can't remember much else. 'Would love to see your Blue Water and Lance sometime.

Brian
mecanix
Visit this Community
Kerry, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 06:41 AM UTC
Brian,

Not a problem,glad to help.

I will keep digging but I am leaning towards a just post ‘55 Bronze Green RA model

I have a copy of Cookie’s conversion article and a HobbyFan M42 for a planned

conversion but for various reasons,mostly cowardice,I have been putting it off.

Blue Water along with Honest John,Pluton and Pershing are on my gallery if you

are interested.I have a thing for Cold War Rocketry.

Regards

Paddy

BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 11:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brian,

Not a problem,glad to help.

I will keep digging but I am leaning towards a just post ‘55 Bronze Green RA model

I have a copy of Cookie’s conversion article and a HobbyFan M42 for a planned

conversion but for various reasons,mostly cowardice,I have been putting it off.

Blue Water along with Honest John,Pluton and Pershing are on my gallery if you

are interested.I have a thing for Cold War Rocketry.

Regards

Paddy

The Gallery - of course; clearly one of my "Duh" moments. Love them all especially the Honest John - fantastic. Surely someone like AFV Club could bring one out?

Did you ever complete the Pershing? Really looking good.

Cold War nukes do have a horrible fascination; I'm awaiting the Trumpeter FROG and have a Lance in my stash as well as the Revell 1:40 Corporal (oh for that to be in 1:35) - to be portrayed one day as a Brit version. Strangely perhaps, I haven't gotten around to any Scuds yet but will have to some day. It's the NATO counterparts we really need, and I'm no great shakes at scratching, unlike yourself. Keep it up and I await your progress on the HST.

Brian
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2019 - 09:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If the M6 did serve in the Royal Artillery, and in a (modelling) way I almost hope it did,

At least it was used by RA Super Heavy Regiments in 44-45 :

https://www.royalartilleryunitsnetherlands1944-1945.com/3-super-hvy-regiment.html

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/super-heavy-regiment.35297/

Maybe this is one of them ?

H.P.
mecanix
Visit this Community
Kerry, Ireland
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 12:26 AM UTC
Frenchy,

Thanks for that,I suppose its possible a few continued in service post-war.

I will scratch around a little more in the hopes of finding a nice shiny Bronze Green

Vehicle circa Mid 50’s

Again thanks.
Regards
Paddy
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 07:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If the M6 did serve in the Royal Artillery, and in a (modelling) way I almost hope it did,

https://www.royalartilleryunitsnetherlands1944-1945.com/3-super-hvy-regiment.html

H.P.

Frenchy,

Fantastic picture! I can't quite understand how I did not make the connection of the HST being used by the British; I was well aware of the super heavy regiments but just did not click (clearly not as bright as I sometimes think I am).

The tactical sign appears to be a white 173 which would tie-in with the unit being an Army Group Royal Artillery (AGRA)component under the command of 2nd Army, whose formation sign appears to be on the opposite side.

The 173 is bisected by a white bar running from the top left hand corner to the bottom right. The plates backing colour would be black.

Again, brilliant picture and has got me thinking too!

Brian
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

H.P.

Frenchy,

Fantastic picture! I can't quite understand how I did not make the connection of the HST being used by the British; I was well aware of the super heavy regiments but just did not click (clearly not as bright as I sometimes think I am).

The tactical sign appears to be a white 173 which would tie-in with the unit being an Army Group Royal Artillery (AGRA)component under the command of 2nd Army, whose formation sign appears to be on the opposite side.

The 173 is bisected by a white bar running from the top left hand corner to the bottom right. The plates backing colour would be black.

Again, brilliant picture and has got me thinking too!

Brian

Aaagh! I misread my reference material - the plate bearing "173" would be the usual Royal Artillery red and blue.
 _GOTOTOP