_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
too much detail???
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 02:20 PM UTC
I was wondering if you guys think that sometimes people over detail. Speciffically I was thinking about details that should not be visible at 1/35th scale. I am not sure what these are so could you gimme your thoughts.
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 02:30 PM UTC
I don't really see how you could over detail... Overweather, yes. But not overdetail.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 02:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't really see how you could over detail... Overweather, yes. But not overdetail.

Totally agree. If anything it's that due to the 1/35 scale some details cannot be fully done even with all the after market items. Just look at the 1/16 Tiger PE from Aber, there are more things there than included in the 1/35 Aber PE for the tiger.

Over-weather, yes. It's kind of weird to look at a operational armor with so many rust and chips.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 02:48 PM UTC
I for one do not think you can add too much detail.

For it is in the eye of the beholder only. So if you want to add one or two hundred pieces, who cares. As long as you are happy/pleased witht eh end results.

Dave
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 03:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I for one do not think you can add too much detail.

For it is in the eye of the beholder only. So if you want to add one or two hundred pieces, who cares. As long as you are happy/pleased witht eh end results.

Dave

Agree again. It's all a very personal thing. I used to just build model out of box and I was happy then too, but now I cannot see myself build anything serious without at least some PEs. This is a personal taste thing, if my skill permits, I shall do more details.

I think it's really more tie to the skill thing, this is a hobby, and it's there so you can find fun in it. If I built one OOTB and I am pretty happy about it, it's great. And If I have to build one with zillions of detailed added and I am happy about, it's also great. IT'S A HOBBY. #:-) I for one would like to do a super detailed Panther and painted it pink color and with glossy coat..... #:-) #:-) #:-)
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 03:18 PM UTC
I guess I was not very clear. What I was geteting at, is that do you know of details added to tanks or AFVs that should not be there or added because the scale would make them invisible or nearly so.
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 03:20 PM UTC
This is the classic question about should we make something that isnīt visible...
Iīm just thinking about that myself, having a tent to be scratchbuilt and a guy blocking the doorway...should I detail the insides of the tent? I think I will. I know nobody will notice it but afterall Iīm doing this for myself! And I know itīs there!
Hmm...I could always make one segment of the tent removable....

Toni
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 03:25 PM UTC
I agree Dave,

[quote]
Quoted Text

Over-weather, yes. It's kind of weird to look at a operational armor with so many rust and chips

I also find it weird to see al that rust and chipped paint to the models lately.

I know there is a chipped paint fever but mostly it is over the top. When I look at pictures of WW2 armor I rarely see that much of paint damage, that kind of effect a lot of modelers apply I have only seen on unrestored armor sitting still for over 50 years.

Just my 2 cents
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 04:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is the classic question about should we make something that isnīt visible...
Iīm just thinking about that myself, having a tent to be scratchbuilt and a guy blocking the doorway...should I detail the insides of the tent? I think I will. I know nobody will notice it but afterall Iīm doing this for myself! And I know itīs there!
Hmm...I could always make one segment of the tent removable....

Toni

Yep. this hobby for most of us is a very individual thing. Why do the details of the inside of the Tank access hatch while you gonna to keep it close? Well because I know it's there....
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 04:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess I was not very clear. What I was geteting at, is that do you know of details added to tanks or AFVs that should not be there or added because the scale would make them invisible or nearly so.

Well, there are things that are more critical to scale, I mean, you canīt just use needles from the woods to make groundwork in 1:35, but you can use certain kinds of moss! Itīs about the structure of things if they fit the scale or not.
If you want to be accurate, you should have everything perfectly in scale. But there is always the matter of visual compensation. Like the tip that every color in small scale should be lightened a little...
The visual appearance is diffferent when you look at the real thing or the model. You very rarely look at the model from eye-level, even then you would need some optical assistance to "put you in the scene".
Like here: Pieces of moss act as spruce branches, gun strap is off scale, the texture of canvas is wrong...still the picture looks as if it was real, because of the lighting, the camera optics creating a distorted point of view etc. You can also draw the attention to certain areas of model, detail that part with extra caution, and create the feeling that the whole thing meets the same standards of detailing!

Iīm not quite sure what I ment to say, but here it is.

Toni
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 05:02 AM UTC
I stopped detailing the insides of vehicles that are not visible. I prefer to spend extra attention to the parts that ARE visible !
Jan
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 05:30 AM UTC
Hey,
The way I see it, being that I am scratch building 80% of a Panzer IV J in 1/72nd scale, is this, if it had it on the real thing then it should be on the model. It makes life interesting. #:-) #:-)
swampfox
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 09:20 AM UTC
It reminds me of the Bandai 1/48 scale armor kits. There's a lot of them with nice interior detailing but if all you're gonna do is open the hatch, most of the interior detail goes to waste. you just can't see it.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 09:52 AM UTC
One of the best modelers I have talked to says if you can't see it from about 30 feet away don't include it.
Not to beat a dead horse, I've seen realisticly weathered models lose to over weathered models in local shows. I usually don't weather much. But, I over weathered a model (in my opinion) a model because I was building it cor a contest,and the model placed.
All in all, I still believe you should what you like, the way you like it.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 10:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I stopped detailing the insides of vehicles that are not visible. I prefer to spend extra attention to the parts that ARE visible !
Jan

Ditto Jan. I'm anal about somethings, but not that anal.

Tread. #:-)
otto
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 11:02 AM UTC
First and foremost, most of us do this as a hobby. As a hobby it SHOULD be fun, I must admit that I have added so much to a kit that I actually dreaded working on it. I (personally) think that you should add the exact amount that YOU want to. No more No less!!! It is easy to get overwhelmed. YOU should let your skill and most of all what you want as a finished product be your guide!! My 2 cents worth!! Thanks ..... Otto
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 11:27 AM UTC
Heres my two cents can you over detail? This hobby is all about scale and how
close you are to it , and history. Yea things can be over done. Research a subject
add what you see,ssure theres packs bed rolls camo net maybe crates.
the secert of detailing is not to lose detail when you do somthing or add
another piece of equipment the same when you weather a subject. I too
have seen the tracks at shows that win and are rust buckets.
Yea alot of this hobby is taste what you like, do what you have fun with,
Thats whats so great about this site you can do things that you like
learn more and get better all at the same time.

ponysoldier

The Horse The Gun The Man
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 12:12 AM UTC
Yeah, I really don't see the purpose of detailing things you can't see.
Especially when you can spend that time on more visible areas.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2002 - 12:31 AM UTC
Well, in the world of figures there is some overdetailing done. The german army splinter camouflage pattern used in WW2 has these very narrow, small clusters of vertical lines on it. These are a very visible part of the pattern in 1:1 scale. People often paint these onto 1/35 scale figures, but the dimensions are such that the lines are invisible at that scale. If you look at closeup photos of the camo you see the "raindrops", but they are invisible on troops at some distance (closer to 1/35 scale). That doesn't stop folks from painting them though!

I'd say there are some pretty huge chains and towcables on a lot of armor models too!

Of course, it is a hobby, and we do it for fun. I know my stuff is probably underdetailed...

Andy
 _GOTOTOP