_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
sbs or miniarm T72 forward upper hull
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 05:12 PM UTC
which would be more accurate for a ural from around '75. I have the miniarm ural turret, which is rather quite nice prob wih the sbs is the ring cutout doesn't quite fit the turret, unless some material is removed from the "tips". the miniarm doesn't require cutting thru the kit ring, unlike the sbs which takes about the forward 1/3rd off
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 - 02:21 AM UTC
Is this the miniarm glacis you have ?http://www.miniarm.com/enlarge/142120592561871.jpg
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 - 05:57 AM UTC
Looking at it again , I'm thinking the miniarm glacis may be incorrect as it has the applique step around the drivers periscope
but not along the edges or the tow hooks http://svsm.org/gallery/t72m1/P1130213, meaning not only incorrect for a ural but incorrectly depicting the applique itself . SBS may be the way to go, here's a ural walk around that may help https://www.scalenews.de/t-72-ural-objekt-172m-walkaround-39/

Sean
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 - 02:22 PM UTC
yeah, but it's not added on, but rather factory cuz the tow hooks aren't indented. the sbs might also be the same, have to check that cuz it's also for an early A

so the sbs doesn't have addon or factory applied armor. have to use it after all, and plastic surgery on the turret
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 - 04:48 PM UTC
Hi;

Another Option that you mite want to consider is just sand away the Tamiya front plate; Its Time consuming but its worth the effort IMHO ! I have used the Miniarm and the other resin conversion set which leaves you with the problem of trying to match the two halves of the upper hull in front of the Turret ring !! When cutting off the front Glassis plate is that you will have to reinforce the two Halves from the underneath with Scrap Plastic with Super Glue !! Also make Sure that You Fill In the Sponsons...
CHEERS; MIKE.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2019 - 04:42 PM UTC
or, I could go this way. had a thought tgat maybe, just maybe, sbs has a ural turret, and lo and behold, it's on its way found one on evilfleabay. already got an A for a previous 72 and it dropped right in, so with the sbs forward upler hull fitted it should be the same again. no turret surgery of any kind, or plastic dust producing sanding, and quite possibly decreasing my frustration tolerance level. thx for the input tho. fortunately too, a lhs will take the miniarm turret for store credit. they don't have much in the way of that on the shelf
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 - 08:27 AM UTC
Hi;

You Know; That just as soon as you have it all done and detailed, that Trumpeter will release A kit of It...

CHEERS; MIKE.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 - 04:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi;

You Know; That just as soon as you have it all done and detailed, that Trumpeter will release A kit of It...

CHEERS; MIKE.

or meng and wouldn't suprise me one bit
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 05:23 AM UTC
Lets hope Trumpeter eventually do one with an early ("4 bar") glacis so can do either a Ural or a M, or a M1 by adding applique.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lets hope Trumpeter eventually do one with an early ("4 bar") glacis so can do either a Ural or a M, or a M1 by adding applique.

aye, them and then there's miniarm. I have their very nice T54-3 '51
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

aye, them and then there's miniarm. I have their very nice T54-3 '51

Would be happy enough if minarm did an early glacis to fit the Trumpeter kits. As for minart I’m hoping a series of T-62 will be next.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 - 02:03 PM UTC
Hi;

Trumpeter's T-62 is the way to Go ! and it can be found on ebay cheap! Miniart will no doubt come with A full interior and be Pricey, and are IMHO not Builder friendly !!
Now Don't get Me Wrong; I like there kits, but they tend to get carried away with to many details !!

CHEERS; MIKE.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi;

Trumpeter's T-62 is the way to Go ! and it can be found on ebay cheap! Miniart will no doubt come with A full interior and be Pricey, and are IMHO not Builder friendly !!
Now Don't get Me Wrong; I like there kits, but they tend to get carried away with to many details !!

CHEERS; MIKE.

yeah, def trumps t62. very nicely done, even with the slight loaders hatch angle error. what's needed is a decently accurate/detailed early T72.

got the upper hull started. found an error in the sbs intructions. the tabs the fit in the kit half sponsons need to be rotated so they countersink. they're keyed to fit. otherwise the halves won't be flush. and sbs could've had headlights/cages holes already open, instead of having to driil them out. they did for the corner locator lights and conduit.
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 04:04 AM UTC
Trumpeters T-62 has a lot more wrong with it than a squint turret hatch, the whole rear end is off!
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 07:42 AM UTC
forgot about that, but it's still better that tamiyas
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 11:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It certainly is, but we still need a definative model of T-62. How about it model co’s, hey Tamiya why not revisit this subject like you have done with several others?
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 07:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It certainly is, but we still need a definative model of T-62. How about it model co’s, hey Tamiya why not revisit this subject like you have done with several others?

just so long as it's not ww2 stuff they redo. getting a bit tired of that. it's been done to
 _GOTOTOP