Hosted by Darren Baker
Another static grass question
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 04:57 AM UTC
I have some woodland scenic static grass flock its called burnt grass and was wondering if any one out there has used this? I am trying to duplicate dormant winter grass for my eastern european dio and this looks pretty brown. Can it be painted? and does any one have a idea for the color to paint on the base before I put the grass down? And what colors if I can paint the static grass would work well to make it look like dormant grass? Thanks in advance. Cheers Kevin
Alpenflage
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,120 posts
Armorama: 1,002 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:15 AM UTC
Verlinden Productions makes the best Static Grass, and they have it in the Fall/Winter brown shade. Techstar has about the same thing, and they offer a lighter "honey" shade.

However, Woodland Scenics offers a wider range for static grass and "turf". They offer several browner shades, and several levels of coarseness. Woodland Scenics offers a specific shade called "burnt grass".

I would recommend the Verlinden brown static grass to start, then if you are more daring, go for the Woodland Scenics. The Techstar is a good alternate.

Hope this helps you out

Cheers !

Alpen
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:17 AM UTC
I've used WS static grass before and here is what I do.
1. paint the base a 'ground color' that you want to both show through and to accent the grass color. So if you want thick dormant grass I would paint it a light brown/tan/sienna color. Know that it will show through in spots. Use that to your advantage, and paint in a number of different colors, highlights, shadows etc.
2. Once your ground is painted, then put down 50/50 white glue/water mix
3. Sprinkle on the grass, I usually do it in two phases, one to cover the glue areas, then a second layer to make sure I've got it ALL covered.... I'll gently touch/tamp it down. Wait a bit........lalalala....... Read step 4 for timing
4. Then tip the base and pour the excess off, then gently blow on the grass to ease off the unglued excess. Be careful and save this stuff, it can be re-used. If you do this before the glue is set you can wiggle the grass back and forth to get it to stand up. The blowing will stand the stuff up too.
5. Add more glue/water and sprinkle to get coverage.

You can paint and highlight the grass either with dry brushing or air brushing.

I'd go with a base of very pale light green with an overtone of a light tan for dormant.

Here are a couple examples
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/242fotocol_035.jpg
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/242fotocol_057.jpg
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/242fotocol_058.jpg
Kancali
Vendor
KANCALI
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:31 AM UTC
I bought 2 shakers of that stuff and wasnt very impressed with it
and put it to the side.. I just tried Slodder's step 4 and Ta-da!!
Now im getting the effect that i was expecting..Many Thanks!!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 04:09 PM UTC
I too, am using Woodland Scenics honey-colored static grass for a winter dio. I thought this stuff was a bit short for 1/35 as it was probably meant for HO or largest, O scale railroads. But then I've noticed the dead grass here starting to show through the melting snow, and maybe its about right.
 _GOTOTOP