_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Waiting for Godot
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:30 AM UTC
This is my second attempt at a dio..although don't really know if I'd even call it a diorama since there's not much drama about it really. Anyway it's Dragon's Sd.kfz 253 with the figures from Tamiya's Wespe. Been doing it at the same time as my first dio 'Lost in Berlin' from which it gave me a nice break being so simple compared to that one. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Vinnie

Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:55 PM UTC
Nice lil scene there. the sdkfz the figures the fence the bucket , all nice touches contribute to the scene. Just some things i see..the fuel barrel look maybe a lil "solidely " weathered, i mean maybe some more ryns and stains on the top cover and the sides. also the road inside the sdkfz as the light falls there shows the surface of the "putty? spackle?" used and maybe some pastel powder treatment would give better feeling to it. But thats what i see. All over a nice scene gives me a lil melagholic feeling with this lighting . Keep on
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 01:57 AM UTC
Overall, great job. Two things I see, the fuel drum should be pressed into the ground work while it is wet to give it the appearance of weight. The other is the seam on the front wheels. Your first two dioramas have been excellent, keep them coming.

Patrick
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:37 AM UTC
Very nice painting and construction.
As mentioned, the seam on the front tire is very pronounced. Also, the tracks in the road end very abruptly. With the road that soft, the guy standing in the road should be deeper in the muck. The clothing/pose of the figures says deep. cold winter. The muddiness of the road says thawing, mild weather, presenting an incongruity, this is highlighted by the green grass.
For future reference, with the Tamiya fence, what you might want to do to give the scene a more natural appearance is to cut one section off center and begin and end with that at a stronger angle to the edge. This will also eliminate the attachment points on the posts.
skytrainboy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:01 AM UTC
I think the diorama is awesome but if ure going to name it lost in berlin it should be an allied unit not germans because how can u get lost in your own captial
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the diorama is awesome but if ure going to name it lost in berlin it should be an allied unit not germans because how can u get lost in your own captial

Er....Firstly it's not. I think you have your threads confused. Secondly, even if it was, I'll bet quite a few Americans could get lost in Washinton, British get lost in london etc. Capitals are big places.

Vinnie
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 07:00 PM UTC
Looks very cold a miserable. Whenever I think of cold and miserable I think winter. A light dusting of frost would enhance to coldness. Plus I think the grass is too green for winter.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 07:43 PM UTC
hi Vinnie,
I liked the Tamiya figures you chose(suitable for winter) and painting of figures is very good. 253 also well built and painted. Details add much to the diorama. my favorite in this dio is the road on the back of 253.it looks really wet... just one thing; please press the details like drums, jerry cans or buckets on the ground before you diobase dried.
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:53 PM UTC
Great stuff, well done................

Well the only thing I would say is that the tracks suddenly start mid street and not from the edge of the dio....?
Is it supposed to represent moving from hard ground to softer ground?

If its supposed to be like this then just ignore me...........

otherwise excellent.......................
 _GOTOTOP