_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Primer Overspray?
riffraff247
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:48 AM UTC
Hi everyone,
I primed last night with Testor's Enamel Primer and there are a few areas that have too much paint on them. Can I just sand the paint a little and try to get the same texture as the rest or do I have to repaint?
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 06:18 AM UTC
did u use the primer in the spray can??
because i have a tip for u,
if u use a can like me run the can under warm water and get the can warm.
then shake the can and run it under the water agin this makes the paint come out nice,
yes u am sure u can sand the spots where the primer is 2 thick
riffraff247
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 06:51 AM UTC
Yes, I used the rattle can, thanks for the tip. It's too thick because I put too much on and it ran down to a couple of places that weren't level. How long do you think I should wait to sand? The can says after two hours. Also, what grit paper should I use? Thanks-Spencer
tek2
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 08:57 AM UTC
Hi Private riffraff247
I would wait about 24 hours before sanding. I would start with a 320, to a 400, and then a 600 grit. It's possiable you may need even finer paper, 1200-1500 grit. Be sure to cover any fine details with some low-tack masking tape, to prevent sanding them off.
I don't think that you will get out of repainting though, a little paint may be necessary.
Good Luck!
riffraff247
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:43 AM UTC
I got some 1000 and 2000 last night but it's still driving me crazy. I used Castrol Super Clean on the small parts, now I have a corner of the loading ramp, rear light covers, and stowage boxes. (Bradley M2) Also a spot on the lower hull and an interior spot. I will definitely have to repaint. Thanks for the masking tip.
 _GOTOTOP