ISAF Marder questions
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hi all

I'm currently building the Revell kit with PSM upgrade set. I'd like to depict one of the Marders shown in the Tankograd book dedicated to the German contingent of ISAF and add some crates and tarps to the sides like on the picture below (for discussion purpose only).

While I guess how the crates are strapped to the various handrails I can't figure out how the "screens" are. It looks like there is some metal frame. How is it attached to the upper hull? One caption mentions there are sand bags as extra protection behind the screens. Which color are the Bundeswehr ones?

If anyone could share a better picture from above for instance, it would be great.

Thanks in advance
Olivier
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 - 07:54 AM UTC
Another view of the same Marder :

Judging by the look of the rear part of it, I guess the hidden rack could be made with Hesco mesh wire, like the one below :

Here are two pics from the Tankograd Marder book :

The covered Hesco mesh of the rack is noticeable in the bottom picture.

H.P.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 - 09:04 PM UTC
More Hesco :

Full size

Full size

Sand bags :

H.P.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 05:02 AM UTC
Merci H.P.
Now I just have to source a suitable 1/35 scale mesh to depict the Hesco on my Marder.

Olivier
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 06:17 AM UTC
Good luck with the Hesco. That's one of my Holy Grails and I haven't found any satisfying material in 1/35th scale (or maybe I'm just too picky ) : the available stuff is usually of the woven mesh style, whereas the Hesco is a welded mesh. The difference between the two is quite noticeable even in 1/35th scale... The best match I've came across so far is included in one of the Accurate Armour Landrover sets (LR008) :

But the mesh is not sold separately...

A plan B would be using "flat" PE mesh (I've got some stuff from K&S somewhere in the stash that isn't too bad)

Anyway if yours is hidden under some canvas, I guess you could use whatever mesh you want (as long as the square size is 2,1mm !)

IMHO, an accurate Hesco mesh in 1/35th scale would be most welcome as it has become quite ubiquitous on the battlefield nowadays...

H.P.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 07:40 AM UTC
Yes I think I'll some hard times to find an appropriate stuff.

Olivier
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 11:26 PM UTC
Olivier

Here's a comparative picture I've posted back in 2012 (!). The PE mesh on the right is Scale Link item #SLF080. The one on the left is E.T. Model (innacurate) Hesco mesh.

The Scale Link fret is available here (along with other useful meshes in various sizes) :

https://www.scalelinkfretcetera.co.uk/product/slf080/

PS : this fret was in fact the one I was thinking of when I mistakenly mentioned K&S in my previous post

H.P.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 07:24 AM UTC
Thanks HP. I'll pay a visit to their site.
Olivier
marcjac
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2019 - 12:51 AM UTC
Hello Olivier,

you wrote that you will use PSM Upgrade Set. You still know that German Bundeswehr use Marder 1A5 and not 1A3 at IFOR misson?

For the Hesco i will use "Fly Screen" from the DIY-Store. The mesh will fit for scale 1/35.

Regards
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2019 - 01:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Olivier,

you wrote that you will use PSM Upgrade Set. You still know that German Bundeswehr use Marder 1A5 and not 1A3 at IFOR misson?

For the Hesco i will use "Fly Screen" from the DIY-Store. The mesh will fit for scale 1/35.

Regards

Yes I know. My Marder is a 1A5 as deployed in Afghanistan (ISAF). That's why I asked about the Hesco mesh. I used some stiff plastic mesh I had in my stash. It was not the exact size but I guess it will do the trick.

Here are some pictures.

Olivier
 _GOTOTOP