_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Other Armies Figure Sets
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 03:18 PM UTC
While commenting on the latest release by MiniArt of another set of German figures, bill c. suggested a new thread to further the discussion. I'm all for having more figure sets on the market, but I don't understand why the major companies make no effort to offer sets from other armies. In particular, the Pacific war went on more than two years longer than in Europe, but I can only think of about 6 sets of Japanese troops, 1 or 2 sets that include one or two Aussies, no Chinese, and maybe a couple sets of Brits that served in the Far East.
Alpine is fond of releasing 2-figure sets,, so why not 2 IJA officers checking the progress of the Kwai River bridge? Paracel does NVA and Middle East sets, why not some IJN Marines? Dragon only did one set I think, yet released several armor kits. MiniArt is currently being credited with producing some of the best styrene figs, but none are anywhere near the PTO. And the original Shogun of Asian model companies, Tamiya, has only one 4-fig set that's about 40 years old! There's a couple I've probably forgotten about, but I think you can see my point.
I've noticed that whenever someone posts a PTO dio, someone always remarks/wishes that more of them should be made. That might happen if there were more soldiers from more armies available. It was, after all, a World War.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 - 12:50 AM UTC
Amen brother !!!!!
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 - 07:43 AM UTC
Well, to be honest most of these Asian companies market to their home territories first; so it seems the sales potential for Asian subjects is not big enough yet to interest them in spending the money to tool up some figures. It does seem odd, but when you think about the fact that even Tamiya has decided over the decades of the company's existence that there is no value in expanding that line then the only conclusion is that Asians aren't as interested in local subjects and the U.S./European market is too small to cater to.

I am curious as to how well those recent Dragon kits of Japanese tanks sold overall, and how that might also reflect the market potential in their eyes. Maybe it's a grass-is-greener-on-the-other-side thing, as they seem to like making European subjects while we Westerners keep clamoring for more Eastern subjects.
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 - 11:09 AM UTC
Market strategies & their consumer's tastes might explain some of it, but there's still something missing. Modelers of ships & aircraft of WWII Japanese subjects don't seem to have a limited selection. And again, we have Dragon spending $$$ and time to offer a number of "paper panzer" kits. Who's buying those?? Hell, there was even a recent release of that weird "ball tank." If Company X, Y, or Z can spend time-$$$-factory space making kits of stuff that never saw a shot fired in anger, then it seems they could spend an equivalent amount on vehicles & soldiers that did exist and actually served.
For several years, AFV modelers wondered why no company would make a new Bergepanther, and after all that hue & cry, we finally got 2 new ones. Guess I'm just hoping that maybe enough folks will demand the same for figures.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2019 - 03:10 AM UTC
Just to broaden (a little) the choice of 1/35th scale WW2 Japanese figures, you can take a look at Taisho Modeling resin sets...

http://miniature-park.com/search_result_e.php?search_maker_id=376

H.P.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2019 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

While commenting on the latest release by MiniArt of another set of German figures, bill c. suggested a new thread to further the discussion. I'm all for having more figure sets on the market, but I don't understand why the major companies make no effort to offer sets from other armies. In particular, the Pacific war went on more than two years longer than in Europe, but I can only think of about 6 sets of Japanese troops, 1 or 2 sets that include one or two Aussies, no Chinese, and maybe a couple sets of Brits that served in the Far East.
Alpine is fond of releasing 2-figure sets,, so why not 2 IJA officers checking the progress of the Kwai River bridge? Paracel does NVA and Middle East sets, why not some IJN Marines? Dragon only did one set I think, yet released several armor kits. MiniArt is currently being credited with producing some of the best styrene figs, but none are anywhere near the PTO. And the original Shogun of Asian model companies, Tamiya, has only one 4-fig set that's about 40 years old! There's a couple I've probably forgotten about, but I think you can see my point.
I've noticed that whenever someone posts a PTO dio, someone always remarks/wishes that more of them should be made. That might happen if there were more soldiers from more armies available. It was, after all, a World War.

Hello, Jack!

I FEEL YOUR PAIN... I've voiced this very question/complaint numerous times in the past regarding "other" Figures, Armor, AFVs, Soft-skins & equipment, and what I got in return for my pains was this answer from the "Panzer Clique" on this site:

"SHUT UP DENNIS!!! GIVE IT A REST, DENNIS!!!"

Take it for what it's worth, ESPECIALLY you WWII German and SS Fans. You KNOW what Jack, Steve, Shell and I have said regarding this subject is TRUE...
jldurand
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 225 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2019 - 04:01 AM UTC
YUFAN MODEL / YUFAN WORKS makes great sets of asian soldiers:

https://yufanwanwu.world.taobao.com/
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2019 - 06:54 AM UTC
Many thanks to Frenchy & jldurand for the links, as I had never heard of either company, so I briefly checked both websites. On the Taisho site, I found two, 2-figure sets of "Japanese Tankers at Rest," and their poses have them lounging around like they're at a picnic. And at today's yen/$$ exchange rate, each pair is almost 40 USD, not counting shipping! The Yufanwanwu site is entirely in Chinese, but I didn't use Google translator cause it's not always accurate. There I only found one set of Korean war era Chinese troops. But it had plenty of those long-legged, big-breasted, suggestively-attired "models" carrying heavy weapons. As I said, I only looked briefly, but didn't see what I'm looking for. But thanks again for the links gentlemen.
 _GOTOTOP