_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
IS-2 (Cyber Hobby/Dragon)
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 - 05:21 AM UTC
Hey folks, I'd like to share my latest WIP - a Cyberhobby/Shanghai Dragon IS-2. This depicts a late production IS-2 from 1944. The markings on this vehicle represents a tank from the 7th Independent Guards Heavy Tank Brigade as they fought in the Battle of Berlin. White invasion crosses were painted on to aid in aerial identification and avoid getting shot at by allied aircraft.

The kit was decent, if a bit long in the tooth in some aspects. There was a big gap that formed in the front and side hull - this was an incomplete model that Dragon based on the old JS-2. They fixed some of the issues of the old kit (low height for example), but did not fix all the issues... and the resulting gaps need quite a bit of putty to fill. I fixed the front glacis, but left the side hull unfixed as the tracks hide it anyway.

Sorry for the lighting. Couldn't get a good shot with the current lighting I have. I might need to get another lamp light... or try to get a photo under natural sunlight

Would greatly appreciate comments or criticism. Thanks!

alchemymike
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 - 05:32 AM UTC
like it !
AlfredCZ
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 - 06:33 AM UTC
Nice, i have it a many years ago, but i sold it - because Tamiya Stalin is far better, but your model is great ! It was a solitaire, or you can planned it into diorama from Berlin ?
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 - 08:01 AM UTC
Looks good. Finish and construction both sound from what I can see on my screen.

Only two constructive comments, one of which is probably tricky to deal with. The easy one is that most of the tanks I’ve seen which have been driving around on muddy ground deposit a decent amount of it at the rear of the tracks. Your model lacks the rear mudguards so I’d expect plenty thrown up onto the rear plate above the sprockets.

The difficult bit is that again, most IS tanks that I see in WW2 have missing or damaged front trackguards. I surmise that this is a function of the minimal visibility for the driver (and the physical effort involved in steering one - I was in an IS once and the driver had his feet on the dashboard while trying to move a tiller) as it looks as though most of them had collided with various objects before getting to Berlin. However, if it were mine I’m not sure I’d bother changing it!
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 - 09:10 AM UTC
Thank you all for your feedback folks! I really appreciate it.

Quoted Text

Looks good. Finish and construction both sound from what I can see on my screen.

Only two constructive comments, one of which is probably tricky to deal with. The easy one is that most of the tanks I’ve seen which have been driving around on muddy ground deposit a decent amount of it at the rear of the tracks. Your model lacks the rear mudguards so I’d expect plenty thrown up onto the rear plate above the sprockets.

The difficult bit is that again, most IS tanks that I see in WW2 have missing or damaged front trackguards. I surmise that this is a function of the minimal visibility for the driver (and the physical effort involved in steering one - I was in an IS once and the driver had his feet on the dashboard while trying to move a tiller) as it looks as though most of them had collided with various objects before getting to Berlin. However, if it were mine I’m not sure I’d bother changing it!

Thank you so much RLlockie! Really appreciate the advice. For the damaged fenders - This is actually what I wanted to do with the kit in the first place! Unfortunately, I did not have enough skill yet to damage the fenders. I was planning to either A) replace the kit parts with brass and bend that since it's easier or B) just use a hot metal clamp to soften the plastic so I can damage it. Unfortunately, I got a bit impatient as my family is moving and I'm trying to reduce the backlog so I did with the fastest course possible on this one in terms of construction. I'll leave the damaged fenders for the future - I still have some Dragon T-34/85 with bedspring armor to tinker with Maybe I should just add a touch of chipping to show a bit of damage?

As for the rear, gotcha. Will add a bit more dust and mud on the top of the mounts for the rear fender to replicate that more. Really appreciate the tips!

Quoted Text

Nice, i have it a many years ago, but i sold it - because Tamiya Stalin is far better, but your model is great ! It was a solitaire, or you can planned it into diorama from Berlin ?

Thanks mate! Nah, I'm just planning to build it as it is without a diorama. I don't have the room yet! Maybe in the future, once our house gets renovated. I'll have a Dragon T-34/85 to buddy with this tank for a potential Berlin Neighborhood dio.

Quoted Text

like it !

Thank you very much!

joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 - 01:26 PM UTC
Looks great!!!!!

LOVE the paint job.
 _GOTOTOP