_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Small Scale
Dioramas of subjects smallers than 1/32 scale.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Love for 1:72 King Tiger in Ardennes,1944
dpeterso
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 01:24 PM UTC
I have had a pretty long hiatus in terms of making models. I recently got back into it about a year ago and have just loved the process of making dioramas. But unlike the traditional 1:35 scale, I just love 1:72. I think I get to do a lot of fun stuff that would be a lot harder and more time consuming at a larger scale.

Here is my most recent diorama I made (there are a lot more I might post in the near future). It's a depiction of the Tiger 222 on December 16th, loading up with Fallschirmjagger on a wooded road. The tank is a Dragon 1:72 Tiger II. The figures are a mix of Dragon and CP Miniatures. The Kettenkrad is from Caesar's miniatures.

I would love to hear feedback and any ideas on how to improve or try new things.

joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 01:56 PM UTC
"Improve"?

My stuff in 1/35th doesn't look that good.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 02:09 PM UTC
The best way to improve is practice practice practice! You are already doing very good to begin with!
And thank you,thank you for not putting snow in this dio. Very accurate.
J
dpeterso
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 04:43 PM UTC
Joe-
Thank you!

Jerry-
I definitely plan to practice a lot more. Thank you for noticing the accuracy of no snow. I try my best to get as much info before making my diorama, and it doesn't always work. I wanted to convey that it was still cold so there is left-over snow from the previous snow that fell.
Bruc84
Visit this Community
Slovenia
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 10:45 PM UTC
And this is in 1:72 scale? AWESOME!!!

I wonder how it was looking in 1:35 scale, made by your hands...

TERRIFIC!

obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 02:32 AM UTC
Great looking scene! I'm really impressed with how realistic the groundwork appears. Looks like you used some natural materials, which is something I think always enhances a scene. Hope to see more of your work!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 05:40 AM UTC
Incredibly well done!
BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 370 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 06:04 AM UTC
Hi Dane,
Very nice! I think the layout is well done. Looking at the way the figures are placed, I can discern the story you are trying to tell. The paint job is top notch, something that I would aspire to. As far as improvement, the only thing I can comment about is that since this is a winter setting, shouldn't the ground work be muddy? Don't get me wrong, your ground work looks very nice. I may be just nitpicking. It's just a comment that you can readily ignore. Anyway, You did a great job on this diorama. I am looking forward to seeing your other works.
-Joseph
dpeterso
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 06:54 AM UTC
Thank you Biggles, Jack and Bostjan

Quoted Text

Hi Dane,
Very nice! I think the layout is well done. Looking at the way the figures are placed, I can discern the story you are trying to tell. The paint job is top notch, something that I would aspire to. As far as improvement, the only thing I can comment about is that since this is a winter setting, shouldn't the ground work be muddy? Don't get me wrong, your ground work looks very nice. I may be just nitpicking. It's just a comment that you can readily ignore. Anyway, You did a great job on this diorama. I am looking forward to seeing your other works.
-Joseph

Thanks Joseph. I love hearing this kind of feedback.

I was wondering about that with the road. Unfortunately, I am not super familiar with cold weather (I live in a pretty temperate area), so I was trying to imagine what super cold temperatures might do to a road that doesn't have much snow on it. I played with the idea of a super muddy road, but I also thought about my limited experience on dirt/mud roads that are well below freezing and how they often seem dry on top. I'm not sure if this was accurate, but I imagined this scenario given the lack of snow for a prolonged period before this.

The other fact is that I have done muddy roads before, but I wanted to try a drier, but deep, rich and moist soil.

My ideas came from something like this:

https://www.roadex.org/wp-content/uploads/elearning/permanent/3/31_3b.jpg
BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 370 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Joseph. I love hearing this kind of feedback.

I was wondering about that with the road. Unfortunately, I am not super familiar with cold weather (I live in a pretty temperate area), so I was trying to imagine what super cold temperatures might do to a road that doesn't have much snow on it. I played with the idea of a super muddy road, but I also thought about my limited experience on dirt/mud roads that are well below freezing and how they often seem dry on top. I'm not sure if this was accurate, but I imagined this scenario given the lack of snow for a prolonged period before this.

The other fact is that I have done muddy roads before, but I wanted to try a drier, but deep, rich and moist soil.

My ideas came from something like this:

https://www.roadex.org/wp-content/uploads/elearning/permanent/3/31_3b.jpg

No problem. If your roadwork was based on the image you provided in the link, then nothing else needs to be said. You've captured what you set out to do. I am in Los Angeles but I lived in New Jersey for about 6 months during Winter. I was commuting to New York for work. I just remember how so much black slush there was when the snow started to melt. Anyway, back in the 1990s, I made a 1/35 scale Battle of the Buldge vignette using Dragon figures. This was the time when there was no internet or smart phones and the only reference I used for painting the camo patterns was the ones in the back of the box. Also, no washes or filters, no pre or post shading, no pigments or any other fancy stuff that we have nowadays. Not the best out there and pretty amatuerish. This was the result of my attempt at mud and snow.

I hope I can come close to your results when I try to make a 1/72 dio.

dpeterso
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 09:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No problem. If your roadwork was based on the image you provided in the link, then nothing else needs to be said. You've captured what you set out to do. I am in Los Angeles but I lived in New Jersey for about 6 months during Winter. I was commuting to New York for work. I just remember how so much black slush there was when the snow started to melt. Anyway, back in the 1990s, I made a 1/35 scale Battle of the Buldge vignette using Dragon figures. This was the time when there was no internet or smart phones and the only reference I used for painting the camo patterns was the ones in the back of the box. Also, no washes or filters, no pre or post shading, no pigments or any other fancy stuff that we have nowadays. Not the best out there and pretty amatuerish. This was the result of my attempt at mud and snow.

It's kind of amazing having the variety of materials that are at our disposal nowadays. Back in the day, you had to borrow heavily from model train manufacturers in order to get anything resembling the weathering process that exists now. Even then it wasn't simple because everything was either by word of mouth or in a text that you had to buy.

I think your piece looks great even in its simplicity. I am especially loving the snow and even the mud looks good too. It's fun to have these pieces as examples of how far you have come.

I did two dioramas last year that had a strong focus on mud. They were a lot of fun and definitely had me trying a lot of new things out. Here's a glimpse of me trying different mud effects.

jrutman
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It's kind of amazing having the variety of materials that are at our disposal nowadays. Back in the day, you had to borrow heavily from model train manufacturers in order to get anything resembling the weathering process that exists now. Even then it wasn't simple because everything was either by word of mouth or in a text that you had to buy.

I think your piece looks great even in its simplicity. I am especially loving the snow and even the mud looks good too. It's fun to have these pieces as examples of how far you have come.

I did two dioramas last year that had a strong focus on mud. They were a lot of fun and definitely had me trying a lot of new things out. Here's a glimpse of me trying different mud effects.

Nice work on these last 2 dios. Here is my 2 pfennigs worth of advice.
In the last pic,the color and shape and the swath of mud through the grass look great. I think what does NOT fool the eye are too much use of gloss on the mud and also that heavy vehicle "floating" on top of the ground.
The type of mud you portrayed in the rear of the sturmg. would have that beast sinking well over the roadwheels and maybe even becoming immobile. Plenty of wartime pics exist showing the forlorn crew standing on top of the vehicle with tow cables attached,waiting to be pulled out.
HTH,and OK,I have spent my 2 pfennigs.
Another point to make is that sometimes in winter that ground is frozen solid and so you may actually get DUST coming up from the road. I saw this a lot during my mech years at Hohenfels or Grafenwehr Germany.
J
dpeterso
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 06:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work on these last 2 dios. Here is my 2 pfennigs worth of advice.
In the last pic,the color and shape and the swath of mud through the grass look great. I think what does NOT fool the eye are too much use of gloss on the mud and also that heavy vehicle "floating" on top of the ground.
The type of mud you portrayed in the rear of the sturmg. would have that beast sinking well over the roadwheels and maybe even becoming immobile. Plenty of wartime pics exist showing the forlorn crew standing on top of the vehicle with tow cables attached,waiting to be pulled out.
HTH,and OK,I have spent my 2 pfennigs.
Another point to make is that sometimes in winter that ground is frozen solid and so you may actually get DUST coming up from the road. I saw this a lot during my mech years at Hohenfels or Grafenwehr Germany.
J

Thank you for your 2, 3 or maybe 4 pfennigs.

That Stug is definitely not in the best rendition of mud. I had a lot of thoughts about how I wanted it to turn out. My thoughts were to have it go through mud and a puddle. Tried to use the AK interactive puddle material for the first time. Also, it was my first time using static grass. I know there is a lot that I would changed. I wanted it to look like water was running off the tracks, but it just created an unnatural gloss. Now I would use glossy mod-podge to create trickling water rather than blanketing it. I would also have it sink deeper in certain areas.

At some point, I will try mud again to practice some new skills, but this was definitely a new and unique experience trying it out as I did.

trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 08:13 AM UTC
I wish ppl would stop photochopping ww2 pix, colorizing them then claiming them to be dioramas.

really, tho, that's damn impressve
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 09:52 PM UTC
That Ardennes Dio is excellent stuff, and it shows what gretness can be achieved in Braille.

PLease fire away and post your other work as well!!!
dpeterso
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2019 - 01:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wish ppl would stop photochopping ww2 pix, colorizing them then claiming them to be dioramas.

Trakpin, how did you know?

Quoted Text

That Ardennes Dio is excellent stuff, and it shows what gretness can be achieved in Braille.

Thank you! I will get on it shortly.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2019 - 02:11 PM UTC
Very well done. Hard to believe its 1:72. Bravo.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2019 - 03:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Trakpin, how did you know?

Quoted Text

Thank you! I will get on it shortly.

I can tell

can't see the pic
dpeterso
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2019 - 04:01 PM UTC
Ooops fixed!

trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2019 - 04:25 PM UTC
just the type of scene one would imagine before getting underway. wouldn't've know it was 72nd if that wasn't mentioned. impressive
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2019 - 10:11 PM UTC
That's a lot of high quality exceptional building you've done there , just one word , respect !!!
 _GOTOTOP