_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Those Reviled Universal Carriers
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 01:43 PM UTC
I found my Osprey book on the Universal Carrier and its author seemed to go out of his way to say how terrible they were. Yes, some vehicles manufactured during wartime turned out to be lemons, but it seems that the Universal Carrier must have had some value since it was actually present out in the field (unlike the useless Centaur tank). So what's the story?
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 04:11 PM UTC
There is an old OOP book called Making Tracks - The Carrier Story by Chaimberlain and Ellis. This offers a somewhat more balanced story. I think most observers would categorise the various Carriers as being at least moderately successful in many roles.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 07:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I found my Osprey book on the Universal Carrier and its author seemed to go out of his way to say how terrible they were.

With some 113.000 units built between 1934-60, the Universal Carrier is the most produced armored vehicle in history. Although it probably had many flaws, the numbers suggest it was still rather useful...

Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 08:55 PM UTC
Hello there

Does the book say they were mechanically terrible, or just not particularly useful?

I think it may come down to usage, as in the experience of those who used them.

A dear friend of mine, now sadly passed away, drove them and loved them. He was 17th Field Company, Royal Engineers (185 Brigade on D-Day), and his Carrier was basically an armoured, tracked, run-about. He used it in Normandy for various things like officer transport, taking/picking up patrols etc. He said they got their REME fitter to disable the governor, rough up the brakes with a rasp and then "treat her with a firm hand" (very much a phrase of its time…).
The only time he didn't really like it was when his Sergeant was with him, and that was more to do with the company than the vehicle. One time near Bieville-Beuville they were crossing a field under sporadic mortar fire, Tommy (my friend) ducked down behind the wheel and got a sharp jab in the ribs from his Sergeant -who himself was taking cover- accompanied by a yelled "Keep your bloody head up!"

Incidentally, he always referred to it as a "Bren Carrier" or "Carrier". I once called it a Universal Carrier and he gave me a puzzled look.

Cheers

Sean
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 10:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I found my Osprey book on the Universal Carrier and its author seemed to go out of his way to say how terrible they were. Yes, some vehicles manufactured during wartime turned out to be lemons, but it seems that the Universal Carrier must have had some value since it was actually present out in the field (unlike the useless Centaur tank). So what's the story?

You know, there are always AT LEAST two sides to every story.

In some cases of failed marriages, there are THREE sides: "His side", "Her side", and "THE TRUTH"...

There was a lot of bad press regarding the US M4 Medium Tank series, but in truth, they were very fine vehicles. I'm not going to go into detail, because the M4-series story is just too involved to go into here...

IMO, the Universal Carrier/Bren Carrier was the right vehicle for the right time, while it was serving in the tasks that it was originally designed for...
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2019 - 06:54 AM UTC
So who does the author of the book claim "reviled" this fine little vehicle?

Multi-purpose, mechanically simple using proven parts, reliable, fast and maneuverable, built in huge numbers. If a little on the small side. I suspect the Americans didn't really understand it, in the same way that they also misunderstood the Dingo and later Ferret. Or indeed any small scout vehicle.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2019 - 12:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Multi-purpose, mechanically simple using proven parts, reliable, fast and maneuverable, built in huge numbers. If a little on the small side.

I'm guessing the suspension/riveted armour or something?

long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2019 - 01:28 AM UTC
The author of the Osprey book scoffed at them.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2019 - 04:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Multi-purpose, mechanically simple using proven parts, reliable, fast and maneuverable, built in huge numbers. If a little on the small side. I suspect the Americans didn't really understand it, in the same way that they also misunderstood the Dingo and later Ferret. Or indeed any small scout vehicle.

Hi, Pete!

Well, just a second- Our American Scout Vehicles were the the M2, M3 and M3A1 Scout Cars, and before the war, the M1 and 2-series (tracked) "Combat Cars". WWII started, and then we put our M3, M3A1 and M5 and M5A1 Light "Stuart" tanks to work in the "scouting" or Reconnaissance capacities, not to mention, our JEEPS. We understood the British "scouting" concept very well; we just used different vehicles, that's all... Besides, by the time the US got involved in World War II, the United States Army already had well over 135 years of "scouting" experience in the wilds of a country that wasn't even really developed by the early "19-teens". We had EXCELLENT scouts of our own, Thank You Very Much...
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2019 - 06:56 AM UTC
No-one was criticising US scouting prowess, and we had - and have -doctrinal differences between recce by stealth and recce by fire. But you make my point about the means. All the AFVs you list are much larger and heavier than British scout cars and carriers, although the M3/M5 are analogues to the heavier British armoured cars. Where we used the lighter armoured vehicles you used Jeeps - sometimes with armour added. When you tried the Ferret later in Vietnam you didn't like it. In much the same way, the UK didn't really "get" the armoured/mechanised infantry concept practised by the US and Germany, at least not until too late.

It is easy to criticise that which is not understood without perhaps appreciating the benefits seen by others. It's easy for modern authors to academically criticise half-century-old equipment they never had to use with the rear window of 20:20 hindsight. Where is the supporting revulsion evidence from contemporary users?
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2019 - 07:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is easy to criticise that which is not understood without perhaps appreciating the benefits seen by others. It's easy for modern authors to academically criticise half-century-old equipment they never had to use with the rear window of 20:20 hindsight. Where is the supporting revulsion evidence from contemporary users?

D-A: Spot ON!

Folks often speak critically about stuff that they have never actually used or perhaps even experienced in any way. The facts of the "carrier" speak quite loudly: LOTS of them were produced, and they were generally appreciated by the USERS. And those USER opinions may be the ONLY opinions which really count! Throughout history, it has really largely been the opinions from the USERS that have most driven retention and continuation of most military equipment kept in service - NEVER the opining of folks AFTER THE FACT. When the real USERS complain enough, the stuff often gets fixed or changed. Many troopies used the carrier, and many found it useful for whatever they felt it was to be used for. Yes, as we who have been there sometimes say "you run what you brung" - you use what you have, no matter what you may feel about it - but user opinions figure prominently to get stuff updated, changed, improved. So, when I hear and see the USERS down-talking the stuff, I tend to listen to what they say. When I see and hear the post-facto arm-chair NON-USER folks criticizing the stuff used in the past..., I accept that perhaps these critics MAY have some "technical info" that allows some valid technical comparisons of old to current, but I give no credence to their opining about how bad something was back when it was being used. They don't have any actual KNOWLEDGE about its adequacy or utility at that past time - only OPINIONS. And as we all know, opinions are like bodily orifices - everybody has at least one! By today's standards, the carrier may well appear rather "flawed". By 1940's in-action standards, it was definitely a useful and appreciated piece of equipment. If anyone wants to KNOW if something was "reviled" by its users, go ask those USERS. Of course, that is just my OPINION on the matter!

Cheers! Bob

PS: Consider a vehicle which WAS REVILED by many of its users - the M4 Sherman. And note that many crew complaints were addressed over time- going from "dry" to "wet", adding supplemental armor, up-gunning. And of course, NEW tanks were designed to replace that M4 entirely. NONE of these changes came about because some academic egg-head back in America suddenly thought "out of the blue" that the change was needed. Crew - USERS - recognized the faults and clamored for help.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2019 - 08:11 AM UTC
Maybe it is also a case of criticising something for not being able to be what it was never intended to be.
The Bren carrier was not an Sd.Kfz 222, it wasn't an Sd.Kfz. 250 or 234/1 either.
It would be similar to criticising a screw driver for being useless when hammering in big nails.
If it had been useless it would have been taken out of service sooner. It was more or less a lightly armoured tracked jeep, it was definitely not a light tank.
If the suspension had been prone to faults or the engine kept breaking down ...

/ Robin
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2019 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

D-A: Spot ON!

Folks often speak critically about stuff that they have never actually used or perhaps even experienced in any way. The facts of the "carrier" speak quite loudly: LOTS of them were produced, and they were generally appreciated by the USERS. And those USER opinions may be the ONLY opinions which really count! Throughout history, it has really largely been the opinions from the USERS that have most driven retention and continuation of most military equipment kept in service - NEVER the opining of folks AFTER THE FACT. When the real USERS complain enough, the stuff often gets fixed or changed. Many troopies used the carrier, and many found it useful for whatever they felt it was to be used for. Yes, as we who have been there sometimes say "you run what you brung" - you use what you have, no matter what you may feel about it - but user opinions figure prominently to get stuff updated, changed, improved. So, when I hear and see the USERS down-talking the stuff, I tend to listen to what they say. When I see and hear the post-facto arm-chair NON-USER folks criticizing the stuff used in the past..., I accept that perhaps these critics MAY have some "technical info" that allows some valid technical comparisons of old to current, but I give no credence to their opining about how bad something was back when it was being used. They don't have any actual KNOWLEDGE about its adequacy or utility at that past time - only OPINIONS. And as we all know, opinions are like bodily orifices - everybody has at least one! By today's standards, the carrier may well appear rather "flawed". By 1940's in-action standards, it was definitely a useful and appreciated piece of equipment. If anyone wants to KNOW if something was "reviled" by its users, go ask those USERS. Of course, that is just my OPINION on the matter!

Cheers! Bob

PS: Consider a vehicle which WAS REVILED by many of its users - the M4 Sherman. And note that many crew complaints were addressed over time- going from "dry" to "wet", adding supplemental armor, up-gunning. And of course, NEW tanks were designed to replace that M4 entirely. NONE of these changes came about because some academic egg-head back in America suddenly thought "out of the blue" that the change was needed. Crew - USERS - recognized the faults and clamored for help.

OK, I'm not criticizing the British side of the story as far as "recce"-vehicles are concerned. If one looks at the great variety of different equipment used by the different nations during WWII, one sees that each nation had a different idea of what a "recce"-vehicle should be. My comment about the US M4-series Medium was only supposed to be a "general" statement. The US M4-series Mediums WERE NEVER MEANT TO GO "ONE-on-ONE" with ANY kind of enemy Armor- They were supposed to be strictly "Infantry Support"-weapons. But as we all know, war has a propensity for surprises, and thus we found that the M4-series Mediums SHOULD have been something quite different. What I was referring to as far as the Sherman was concerned was its reliability, its mechanical superiority and its ease of maintenance, which truly DID make it a very fine vehicle. It was US Army General Leslie McNair's constant intervention that kept the M4-series Mediums from becoming what they should have been in the first place. He placed entirely too much stock in the US Army's flawed "Tank Destroyer" doctrine. The "Tank Destroyer" concept was his pet project, and ultimately his adherence to this erroneous policy only served to our great detriment.

Now for example, the average German Tank in WWII had a "track-life" of 500 miles, whereas the M4-series' tracks were designed to go 2500 miles. The M4 was not a "gas-guzzler", and the engines, whichever types were used, were easy to work on in simple maintenance by their own crews, rather than having to rely on a special maintenance organization to do the work. The Russians laughed at the German Tanks because they were so "over-engineered". Now if one goes back and researches the combat records of the various German Panzer units, one will find that there were a lot of mechanical break-downs in simply trying to get to the front lines, ESPECIALLY with the "vaunted" Panthers and the Tigers I & II...

Back to the original subject of this thread, I defended the Universal/Bren Gun Carrier, saying that it was the right vehicle for the mission that it was designed for. Also, I was not at all saying that the British "recce"-system was faulty, but only that the American system was different and it worked for us, along with what we chose to use for our "recce"-mission...
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2019 - 09:12 AM UTC
Dennis; FWIW.....

Aside from finding the carrier rather fun to drive, I cannot comment to its true reliability or, for that matter, its actual abilities as used by the many folks who used them. Ditto regarding the M4 Sherman (haven't even driven one of those!). And I have no dog in any debate about what or how different countries viewed "Recce roles", nor any dog in any debates about whose equipment was better suited for whatever role(s) it ended up being appointed to or used for.

My underlying POINT actually goes back to the thread byline and the initial query regarding whether the universal carrier was actually "reviled" - and perhaps if so, why. The evidence seems to point out that it was largely NOT reviled by its many users.

You did mention a couple of salient properties of the Sherman - it was indeed regarded as being pretty mechanically reliable, and mostly relatively easy to repair. These same properties may reasonably apply to the carrier. And there is perhaps little debate that many German tanks may well have suffered in both reliability and ease of repair (noting that the Panther engine, for example, was expected to "live" for perhaps 900 - 1500km of moderate service before needing replacement or rebuild!).

But it's also probably worth noting that most German crews were extremely proud of their machines and confident in their abilities relative to the challenges enemies offered... Maybe even overly so, and despite the true adequacy issues many of those vehicles had. There is little out there to suggest that many of those users "reviled" their equipment (but there were a couple of notable type exceptions - the jagdtiger among them ). On the other hand, Sherman users often did "revile" their steeds - generally because of their poor longevity and survivorship when meeting up with the enemy. So maybe FEAR would be the better term! But military folks "run what they brung". Better a Shermy that could suddenly brew up when shot to no tank at all!

It's interesting that you bring up Gen. McNair... One of many examples of some high-positioned guy removed from both the real in-the-dirt scene and the consequences of folks pushing their naive viewpoints being the one to say what will be done! Patton's issue with crew-added improvised armor is another such case. George apparently concluded that somehow tanks could actually advance faster without a bit of added protection for the guys who were doing the advancing. I've long wondered what, if any, "data", informed his decision... (We all KNOW that added weight will slow down the vehicle. But harping on that is really disingenuous - rate of advance is not really dependent upon how fast you can drive, if there happen to be enemies present!)

Cheers! Bob
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2019 - 11:06 AM UTC
I tend to title threads in a way that I think will draw attention. I wasn't really shocked that people have come to say that Universal Carriers were actually good; I was going by what the Osprey book implied. I couldn't imagine even the stupidest manufacturer producing so many vehicles if they were no good.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2019 - 01:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I tend to title threads in a way that I think will draw attention. I wasn't really shocked that people have come to say that Universal Carriers were actually good; I was going by what the Osprey book implied. I couldn't imagine even the stupidest manufacturer producing so many vehicles if they were no good.

Tom: Hope you're not looking at me! I'm certainly not saying that those carriers were "good"! Whatever "good" may mean... I wouldn't know about that - never having used one as a war machine or for any purpose that it might have been intended for nor evaluated it for such purpose in any way! I'm only reacting to the cited Osprey Pub notion that it was somehow "reviled" by those using it! I can't see much evidence for such claim.

But... As for what a manufacturer might do... I heartily disagree with you, Sir! Mfgr's make stuff when someone offers them money to do so. And rarely does the actual user pay for the goods, when we're talking military products! That's the "beauty" of military-industrial complexes! Products only get changed or dropped when enough users complain long and loud enough (or get the right advocate voice working for them...) to get the pay-masters to stop paying. Until that point... make and sell as many as you can! Over 100k carriers made and issued sounds like there wasn't a lot of loud complaints from most users.

For all I know, the carrier could actually have been a pretty dreadful vehicle... but the users didn't loudly say that! Consider the old MG-TC "sports car" of ca 1950... Great fun, IMHO, to drive and actually loved by some of us, but a quite miserable little car in most automotive terms! Cold and wet and drafty in almost any weather, badly fitted, fickle motor, crappy tranny, weak brakes, horrible electrics, bad steering, sometimes quite piggish on the road, usually fatal in a crash, quirky in many ways. Ask me how I would know! Today, few would likely consider buying one of those contraptions! But folks did (and still do) love them!

Cheers! Bob
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2019 - 01:48 PM UTC
True, but you can only make garbage for so long before people catch on, and it can come back to bite the manufacturer! The Centaur tank I referred to was only briefly used during the Normandy invasion and most of them ended up either converted to other uses or for training.

I remember taking a class where a company tried to sell defective recording tapes to Uncle Sam, thinking they'd be forgotten. Except that Uncle Sam sent the tapes back along with an investigator.
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2019 - 02:17 PM UTC
If you think the Centaur was bad, at least it made the battlefield, unlike its predecessor the Cavalier (500 made) which only made it as an Observation Post tank and the Covenanter. One of them was apparently destroyed in Canterbury by a stray German bomb during an air raid and was the only tank of its type to be destroyed by enemy action. At least it stopped something useful being damaged.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2019 - 04:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you think the Centaur was bad, at least it made the battlefield, unlike its predecessor the Cavalier (500 made) which only made it as an Observation Post tank and the Covenanter. One of them was apparently destroyed in Canterbury by a stray German bomb during an air raid and was the only tank of its type to be destroyed by enemy action. At least it stopped something useful being damaged.

The Centaur... Maybe makes my point! Up until it left England and actually touched the enemy, it was probably acceptable to the users, and they probably drove around OK in training and looked properly menacing. And nobody complained about that - as no one was getting killed using them. And so a number were made, at the behest of rather poorly-informed upper managers. Going into real action is a terrific and certain test that generally weeds out the really bad pretty fast. Over there, the USERS found out how inadequate it really was as a combat tank. And away went the Centaur! And like the Soviet's pre-war T-28 and T-35 multi-turret tanks... Fearsome things in parades and on the training range, pretty near useless in actual battle. They, too, quickly vanished.

Cheers! Bob
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2019 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dennis; FWIW.....

Aside from finding the carrier rather fun to drive, I cannot comment to its true reliability or, for that matter, its actual abilities as used by the many folks who used them. Ditto regarding the M4 Sherman (haven't even driven one of those!). And I have no dog in any debate about what or how different countries viewed "Recce roles", nor any dog in any debates about whose equipment was better suited for whatever role(s) it ended up being appointed to or used for.

My underlying POINT actually goes back to the thread byline and the initial query regarding whether the universal carrier was actually "reviled" - and perhaps if so, why. The evidence seems to point out that it was largely NOT reviled by its many users.

You did mention a couple of salient properties of the Sherman - it was indeed regarded as being pretty mechanically reliable, and mostly relatively easy to repair. These same properties may reasonably apply to the carrier. And there is perhaps little debate that many German tanks may well have suffered in both reliability and ease of repair (noting that the Panther engine, for example, was expected to "live" for perhaps 900 - 1500km of moderate service before needing replacement or rebuild!).

But it's also probably worth noting that most German crews were extremely proud of their machines and confident in their abilities relative to the challenges enemies offered... Maybe even overly so, and despite the true adequacy issues many of those vehicles had. There is little out there to suggest that many of those users "reviled" their equipment (but there were a couple of notable type exceptions - the jagdtiger among them ). On the other hand, Sherman users often did "revile" their steeds - generally because of their poor longevity and survivorship when meeting up with the enemy. So maybe FEAR would be the better term! But military folks "run what they brung". Better a Shermy that could suddenly brew up when shot to no tank at all!

It's interesting that you bring up Gen. McNair... One of many examples of some high-positioned guy removed from both the real in-the-dirt scene and the consequences of folks pushing their naive viewpoints being the one to say what will be done! Patton's issue with crew-added improvised armor is another such case. George apparently concluded that somehow tanks could actually advance faster without a bit of added protection for the guys who were doing the advancing. I've long wondered what, if any, "data", informed his decision... (We all KNOW that added weight will slow down the vehicle. But harping on that is really disingenuous - rate of advance is not really dependent upon how fast you can drive, if there happen to be enemies present!)

Cheers! Bob

Hi, Bob, and everyone else!

AGREE on most points- Let me join with you in your commentary with some info which may not generally be known to some of the readers who might be reading this thread-

Re: General George S. Patton- Most everyone knows how "outspoken" General Patton was. What many people are unaware of are some aspects of General Patton's true character, his lifelong struggle with his dyslexia, and his inner conflicts with HIMSELF as a dedicated soldier and his desire to fulfill his own personal image as a "man of destiny". As a great reference and personal story of General Patton, may I suggest, "PATTON, A GENIUS FOR WAR" by Carlo D'Este. This book is VERY enlightening, and it looks at Patton from a much more "personal" level than most biographies of this man. I won't go into very much detail at this point, because this is a story that is far beyond the scope of this thread.

If I may, let me briefly state that General Patton was in the "doghouse" with General Eisenhower and other "high echelon"-types, especially on the British side of the Alliance, because he did not know how and when to keep his mouth shut. Specifically, General Patton had made "anti-British" comments while Eisenhower, "the great organizer and peace-keeper" was trying to keep things "on an even keel" between the high-strung American and British military leaders. Having said that, Patton was warned by Eisenhower that if he made a single negative comment again, he would be "cashiered" and sent home in disgrace.

Now we come to the crux of the matter of why Patton's adherence to keeping the M4-series Mediums "as-is", as opposed to making any major improvements to the types, AND replacing them- This was two-fold- First, he did not want production of the various M4-types in the United States to be disrupted by having much better machines such as the T26/M26 Pershing put into production, which would have been too late for the Normandy landings and their subsequent use in the great race across France in the Summer of 1944 and on into Germany. This was politically-motivated, because he was, SECONDLY, DEATHLY AFRAID of being sent home in disgrace if he opened his mouth about ANYTHING again. So when General Patton was asked by US Army Ordnance about the replacement of the M4-series by the new T26/M26, he gave Ordnance a vehement, emphatic and politically-motivated "NO"... This, in turn PACIFIED General McNair, who had VERY CLOSE ties to the Ordnance establishment and the proponents of the US "Tank-Destroyer faction" of the US Army. Enough said on this score because THAT, is another long story...

Despite his faults, and speaking for myself, it is my opinion that General George Smith Patton was our greatest, (and very likely, our most misunderstood, General Officer, ever...

That silly Hollywood movie starring George C. Scott, did the REAL George s. Patton no real justice...

Regarding the Universal/Bren Gun Carrier- Out of curiosity, I combed through all of my books and references regarding the Carrier and I found NOTHING in print that "reviled" this vehicle. THIS is also why I "second" your commentary, and wonder why anyone would have said that the Carrier was "much reviled"!!!

A short note regarding the Germans' attitudes towards their respective vehicles and equipment- Yes, the Germans produced (and still do) many EXCELLENT military and consumer products. Before and during WWII the German soldiery did not generally "revile" their vehicles, aircraft or other military equipment because it wasn't "very healthy" to do so. I speak from personal experience; in conversing with my Mom's Onkel Ludwig and Onkel Fritz, they STILL looked over their shoulders before discussing their equipment and service in the German military, WHILE VISITING US IN AMERICA IN THE EARLY 1970s!!! THIS is what happens to ones' brains when growing up in a totalitarian regime...

Another point that I should mention is that many American boys of that era HAD to be mechanically-inclined out of necessity- They grew up during the "Great Depression", and a large portion of the United States at that time was still an agrarian country. If and when farm tractors or equipment broke down, the farmers and their sons had to make their own repairs, rather than call for an expensive mechanic. And then, there was the truth that America at that time, was "a Nation of tinkerers", so making repairs to their military vehicles and equipment in the field came as "second nature" so to speak. Conversely, German boys during that same pre-war and war era were "enrolled", read: "SENT", to Trade Schools where they would learn "ein beruf", i.e, "a trade" in accordance to their "aptitudes". In short, these were the boys that weren't in university. Comparatively-speaking, that meant that there weren't as many German boys that had any automotive or other mechanical experience, as compared to American boys, who would "tinker" by the time they were old enough to grab a wrench.

Let's also consider that even by the early 1910s, the United States was already a world-leader in industrial prowess. That meant that during WWII, up to a dozen US M4-series Tanks could "gang-up" on a single Pz.IV, Panther or Tiger at virtually any time. There's the oft-quoted story which I'm going to paraphrase:

When asked about American Armor versus German, a German Tanker replied,

"ONE of out Tigers can kill TEN Shermans... But you always seem to have ELEVEN..."

And, many times during the mad dash across France in '44, we just went around them...

Also, and this is important- Americans in general, are much quicker to "revile" any product, whether it's American-made or not, simply for the reason that we've always had the freedom to open our big mouths whenever we want to; and I speak as a loyal American as I say this... Therefore, as to American Tankers complaining about their "steeds", that just came NATURALLY, whether the complaints were valid or not. It's very true that the Sherman had some important shortcomings, but it's also true that the M4-series Medium had MANY VIRTUES...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2019 - 12:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe it is also a case of criticising something for not being able to be what it was never intended to be.
The Bren carrier was not an Sd.Kfz 222, it wasn't an Sd.Kfz. 250 or 234/1 either.
It would be similar to criticising a screw driver for being useless when hammering in big nails.
If it had been useless it would have been taken out of service sooner. It was more or less a lightly armoured tracked jeep, it was definitely not a light tank.
If the suspension had been prone to faults or the engine kept breaking down ...

/ Robin

Hi, Robin!

That's a GREAT analogy- "a screw driver to hammer big nails"!!!

I wish that I had a dollar for every time I've seen some "hammer-head" using the wrong tool for the job at hand...

What you said about the German Sd.Kfz.222, Sd.Kfz.250, Sd.Kfz.234/1 vehicles versus the Universal/Bren Gun Carrier is certainly true- It also shows how different Nations' militaries differ in their concepts of how to fulfill their varied "recce" missions...

Correct me if I'm wrong- Didn't the Universal/Bren Gun Carrier utilize the American-designed Ford Model A Engines, Transmissions, and Rear Ends which were built under license in Great Britain..?

If so, then that should tell you something about the Universal/Bren Gun Carriers. The 1928-1931 Ford Model As and their mechanical components were noted for their reliability and robust construction...
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2019 - 05:00 AM UTC
Dennis (if of course I may "speak" so informally! ):

Seeing as your long missive appears in response to what I said... I think that you are perhaps missing what it is I did say! In particular, about Patton: Hey! I'm a "Georgie Fan"! I am not saying and never did say anything about how great a general he was or was not (I think he was pretty grand, but that's only my opinion based on reading a boatload of history and fable about the guy), and I said NOTHING about whether he had anything to do with M4 production, production modification, retention in service, or whatever. I was not speaking about GSP pushing McNair to keep the Sherman "as is". I know nothing about that! My remark was about his pushing his troops - USERS - to NOT add stuff onto their steeds - about his directing crew to not add perceived protection in favor of keeping up driving speed. In truth, Georgie could well be said to have somewhat suppressed the USER complaints - as often happens in military, commercial and public service organizations (my humble service being all 3).

As to German crews and their equipment: Please do not read into what I said anything like a comment by me about their equipment being somehow ACTUALLY "great" or "superior" over our stuff. I'm not the judge of that technical debate. I was speaking about what and how German CREW felt about their stuff. You had an "Onkel" with personal experience in WWII. His observations and opinions to you carry heavy weight, at a personal level! MY expressed opinion about German tank crew opinion about their tanks comes from other sources.... spending a great deal of my service time in Germany in the 1970's talking to old German vets. The old NAZI influences on expression were long gone by 1975! The remark about Tigers versus Shermans (1 vrs 10, and then comes #11...) is quite what these old guys said - "Our stuff was BETTER - YOU (US) had way more! Too many more!". I met lots of old German crew who seemed pretty confident in the relative effectiveness of their stuff. These guys were all extremely aware of how much MORE of everything the Allies brought to the beach. I'll pretty much accept their opinions as being THEIR OPINIONS for both aspects. That's the basis of my remarks.

EVERY military tries to sell its people on the quality and even superiority of what they issue their guys to use. To do anything else would be to effectively tell one's guys that "YOU are GONERS when you meet the enemy!" The USERS / guys always want GOOD STUFF. They will judge for themselves whenever they need to actually "run what they brung"! Which is the essence of what I've been saying!

It is my understanding that the discussed carrier did utilize mostly commercial, off-the-shelf automotive running gear - much built under license from Ford. Same thing with Soviet GAZ trucks, and German Ford trucks. Our rather established Ford auto technology was, in all of its reliable greatness, widely utilized by both sides in WWII. Go, Ford! Industrial folks everywhere have made it a practice to adopt good stuff when and where they can - why re-invent the wheel?

Are we Americans (soldiers) actually all that different from other soldiers when it comes to griping? I don't think so. Military everywhere are top-down, keep your lip buttoned, don't think, don't complain, do what I say organizations. It's us here in America who have created phrases like "keeping to the party line" and perjoratives about "stepping out of line". Working with NATO armies taught me soldiers everywhere are carpers and gripers! And also willing to actually put up with a lot.

Cheers! Bob
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2019 - 06:48 AM UTC
I never understand the raging flame wars about whose stuff is better.

If the Sherman was a great tank design, why did the US abandon it even before the war was over? Unlike the T-34, it did not inform the next generation(s) of US-designed vehicles. If anything, the Panther tank left a larger mark.

Armament design is constantly evolving, since the "enemy" comes up with ways to work around your stuff's strengths. Was it Stalin who spoke about "the quality of quantity"? The T-34 was crude but like the AK-47, you could abuse it and keep on fighting. It was cheap to produce, didn't require a PhD to operate, and lived on for 30 years after the war.

The German tanks OTOH were over-designed, under-powered and often out-of-gas. Germany fought the wrong war with the Allies because the Soviets had more, and the US and Britain had control of the air. Imagine the Falaise Pocket without the P-47, Tempest and precision daylight bombing?

Random observations, since I don't really care which tank anyone thinks is the greatest.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2019 - 07:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I never understand the raging flame wars about whose stuff is better.

If the Sherman was a great tank design, why did the US abandon it even before the war was over? Unlike the T-34, it did not inform the next generation(s) of US-designed vehicles. If anything, the Panther tank left a larger mark.

Armament design is constantly evolving, since the "enemy" comes up with ways to work around your stuff's strengths. Was it Stalin who spoke about "the quality of quantity"? The T-34 was crude but like the AK-47, you could abuse it and keep on fighting. It was cheap to produce, didn't require a PhD to operate, and lived on for 30 years after the war.

The German tanks OTOH were over-designed, under-powered and often out-of-gas. Germany fought the wrong war with the Allies because the Soviets had more, and the US and Britain had control of the air. Imagine the Falaise Pocket without the P-47, Tempest and precision daylight bombing?

Random observations, since I don't really care which tank anyone thinks is the greatest.

UP the P-47, the Typhoon and the Tempest, although the Tempests were busier in knocking down those pesky V-1s. Mom's Onkel Ludwig and his fellow Pz.IV Crew Members did NOT like Allied "Air" AT ALL!!! (They didn't like the fact that American Tankers had learned to use "Willy-Pete" Rounds (White Phosphorous) to "kill" "superior" German Armor with, either...)

Re: The Sherman being "abandoned" before the war was over- Not really, Bill; "Easy-Eight" Shermans soldiered on IN KOREA, and THIS, with an impressive "kill-ratio" versus the T-34s. And, how many photos of US M4-series Mediums does one come across at war's end, as compared to T26/M26-types..?

I don't really want to get into a "p***ing-contest" over "which Tank was better than which", either. It's not that important, in retrospect. What "gets" me is that there are STILL people out there that choose to "revile" the Sherman, often unjustly...

Conversely, I'm not saying that the Sherman was "superior" to the Panther or the Tigers I & II- What I AM saying is that the German Panthers and Tigers weren't quite as good as a lot of overly optimistic "Press" makes them out to be... I may be a bit "soft in the head", but my favorite German Tanks are the earlier types, specifically the Pz.IIIs and their derivatives. Were THEY "superior" Tanks? No, I just like the looks of 'em...

Oh, and at war's end, studies were made, and it was found that US/Allied "precision-bombing" was largely a myth. US/Allied "precision-bombing" was responsible for US Army General Leslie McNair's death, preparatory to the "Cobra"-breakout operation... "Precision-bombing" really didn't come to fruition until "Smart-Bombs" were developed...

BTW, since P-47s were mentioned above, I'd like to mention that the P-47M was ALSO supposed to be a "V-1 Chaser". Their Pratt & Whitney R-2800-57C Engines were proving to be problematic in that they had Wiring Harness and over-heating problems. Consequently, the P-47Ms were snatched up by the 56th Fighter Group (MY FAVORITES!) who eventually solved the electrical and over-heating problems and wound up putting them to good use. The 56th was THE ONLY US Fighter Group to use the -Ms. The P-47M was officially capable of 475 MPH at altitude with 3600 Horsepower, on regular ol' US Army Grade 100/130 Octane Aviation Gasoline, WITHOUT having to resort to WEP, (War Emergency Power), which injected a Water/Methanol solution directly into the Engine Cylinders for very short periods. Too much of THAT practice would require an Engine-change upon landing...

Now here's another little tidbit: Concurrently with the P-47M, Republic Aircraft Corporation was also developing the XP-72 "Superbolt", using the Pratt & Whitney R-4360 "Wasp Major" Engine. This power plant was regularly capable of pushing out 4000 Horsepower, and IT gave the XP-72 a top speed of "around" 540 MPH at altitude. This was also on 100/130 Octane "go-juice"... Not bad, for a "prop-job"...
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2019 - 08:38 AM UTC
Bill C.;

I neither! I don't, as a rule, carry much baggage about the debates of which tank was better. But you did hit a couple of salient things... We did indeed abandon the Sherman in almost every way (I like how you said it didn't inform the next generation... while that Panther did.), even before the war's end. (Noting the "Easy-8" in Korea... While we had indeed moved away from the Sherman - specially in design philosophy, post-war America was not interested in spending a lot to field another whole army's-worth of new tanks - we retained the best of the up-graded M4 lot and used it, because that is what we still had on hand when we needed something in Korea. And the Easy-8 itself truly reflects the complaints of the USERS from WWII. In some ways, the Easy-8 was a version of the "last, best, buggy-whip ever made"! A last, relic version of something already well understood by both our military and our tank industry to be going the way of the Dodo.)

You were extremely conservative concerning that cheap, crude, durable, forgiving-of-abuse, simple-to-operate T-34.... Not only did it go on to serve directly for several decades, but it strongly influenced generations of Russian tank development, right up to today's T-90 tanks! (Yeah, I'm a sorta T-34 (and modern Russian, too) fan-boy. But no, it wasn't any "best tank". By a long shot!) (And I wholly appreciate that the Easy-8 was quite successful against those older-version T-34 "gifts" operated by badly and weakly-trained Korean and Chi-com kids! Else I wouldn't perhaps be here TODAY to flog about in this thread! )

Bob
 _GOTOTOP