The battle of Berlin
VenomOrca
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:22 PM UTC
Greetings all..

Now please excuse me but I wish to go off on a rant here.

I have been playing a lot of the PC game Call of Duty and have gotten the urge to replicate a scene or two from it in model form. The Stalingrad levels or the Battle of Berlin where Soviet soldiers capture the Reichstag are somewhat appealing to me especially for its historical significance.
What I want to know is if I can get some ideas from you folks if possible on how to go about it. Like are there redily available kits of the Reichstag building? Its just that I have never built a dio of a demolished urban setting but would really like to give it a try.

Anyways im just fishin for ideas here and any help would be appreciated, Im seriously considering doing the scene where the 5 T-34's are advancing on the building. It may be a bit too large in 1/35th so 1/72 may be the way to go...but maybe 1/35th is doable if i get a big enuf board..

Anyways..like i said, any help or ideas you can pass my way...

Thanks in advance.
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 01:38 AM UTC
Venom

First off, a dio with 5 T 34 in 35th scale while it could be done would not only be huge but expensive. Why not limit it to the lead one or too tanks as the center of the action. Second there are a number of articles dealing with building dios of an urban setting on the dio page. They are very informative and make great references. Lastly I would research the idea to get a more defined mental picture of what you want to do. Draw a few sketches to further help clear up the idea. Then go for it. If you run into problems along the way I'm sure the folks on the site would be happy to help.

Good Luck
Wolfsix
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Armorama: 591 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:10 AM UTC
Venom,
I can tell you from my experience - start small, my friend, and work your way up. I believe a diorama of that magnitude might overwhelm you. I would suggest that you do small ones until you have worked all the bugs out of making the buildings, rubble, streets, sidewalks, everything. Perhaps you could build it in a modular fashion, doing a street corner at a time, and then join them all together as a final product.
It just sounds too big and time-consuming of a project. But, if you have abundant time (and you have the money) go for it. I have seen large dioramas before and they always seem to garner the most attention (and the most awards in competition.) I remember seeing (on the Internet) a French gentleman building a diorama of a river-crossing scene that he had been building on for over 20 years (and still wasn't finished with). I can hardly imagine the amount of space that you would need to realistically space five T-34's, all of the soldiers, and then the remains of the Reichstag (which would then mean a huge vertical space.) I look forward to seeing your project on these very pages.
Buona Fortuna
Rob
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:09 AM UTC
I remember a few years ago I think it was either Jaquar or Warriors that brought out a vignette of the Russians placing the flag on the Riechstag...Maybe you should hunt that down ...seems more plausible than building the whole thing...

Rick
Kar98K
KitMaker: 126 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:04 PM UTC
Speaking of video games, Battlefield 1942 is awesome. Haven't played BF Vietnam yet.
RAF-Mad
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:56 PM UTC
BF: Vietnam is fun sorry about the off topic distracted me

As for video game they have givin me my idea for my 1st dio (Coming soon)
Nighthawk54
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 66 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:46 AM UTC
I have not heard of a company making a Reichstag kit, but im sure you could make a polystyrene model and work your way up from there, and you could easily modify some russian soldier figures to hold a flag
 _GOTOTOP