_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
My Incoming concept...please look
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:46 PM UTC
G'day everyone, well i just went looking in the incoming campaign, and apparently, i am signed up to it i didnt sign up myself thats for sure, but anyway i thought hey, what the heck, might as well participate!
I have decided to do a diorama of the FSB coral, an aussie fire support base in the vietnam war, that was attacked by NVA and VC over and over again, and was nearly over run once.
The dio will have a 105mm howitzer of the 102 field artillery, and some soldiers from the 1st and 3rd RAR.
as the main assault on this base was at night, i was thinking it would be good to make this a Forced Perspective dio, this way i could even have some LED's in the 105mm's barrels, that could flash every now and then to simulate the firing of the guns, and if i could figure out how to rig up some smaller ones, i could even get the troops firing their SLR's(rifles)
i would have some NVA running towards the guns.
This should be some good fun, i have included a sketch of what it will hopefully looks like
Cheers!
If possible i will have sound effects to, lol, no not the ones in the pic, explosions and the crack crack of small arms, any ideas of how i could achieve this?
Cheers again!
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:50 PM UTC
damn, ok try again. if the pic dont work heres the link as well

My concept
Cheers!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:50 PM UTC
Ola Dave

You sketch isn`t visible but I have sorted out why......... You had Http:// twice
Here is your sketch

lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:56 PM UTC
Heheh, thanks bob, well theres the basic idea, entrecnhed fellas are aussies, the foxhole with the m60 fella shooting has a camo net over it, little thing behind the 105mm is a tent, and in the other dugout, one of the blokes is calling in support, which came to us on that night in the form of artillery from nearby fire bases, spooky gunships, and other light aircraft, the troops were given the order to get below ground level at one stage of the night, as they called in artillery fire onto the base itself, as the enemy had overrun a part of the base and captured a 105mm, but we soon took it back. cheers!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:56 PM UTC
Ola Dave

It looks like an interesting dio mate. Keep us Updated on the progress.
I like the fact that Steve Irwin is manning the 105 Howitzer. Are we going to See any crocs in this dio???. I like the fact that you are thinking of a forced perspective dio. Might be really interesting.

Again Keep us updated.

Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:59 PM UTC
thats a very good idea.DML's NVA sapper team can be a good choice for attacking units.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:02 PM UTC
Cheers guy thanks!
Graywolf i am 1 step ahead mate, got 2 packs lying ready to use! great minds think alike!
cheers
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:48 PM UTC
Engin not only seems to know but really knows by heart every single figure set that DML has released....You see good friends care ...
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:24 PM UTC
Hey David! The simplest way I can think of to include sound effects would be to have a wav file playing on continuous loop from a laptop loudspeaker. Battlesounds can be picked up easily from a google search?

Vinnie
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:56 AM UTC
I did something similar for Cover-up Campaign. I had a mortar pit instead of 105s. BTW I think if you could get a Crocodile Hunter Crikey soud effect that would be hilarious!!!

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3663
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:11 AM UTC
only if it goes bang and crikey!
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:31 PM UTC
Thanks guys, hmmm, i dont think i will go and get a laptop, but thanks anyway.
I was hinking put the sound on a cd, then copy that onto cassette, then put it into a lil cheap walkman?
Cheers guys, thanks
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:33 AM UTC
That sounds ok. Might be a bit much asking people to put your headphones on though? Lol

Vinnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"...G'day everyone, well i just went looking in the incoming campaign, and apparently, i am signed up to it i didnt sign up myself thats for sure, but anyway i thought hey, what the heck, might as well participate!..."

Howdy lestweforget,

Hmmmm, .....don't know what to say about you're being 'signed-up'. Your name is indeed in the Official Campaign sign-up page, but the only way for that to happen is for you to click on the little yellow 'enlist' button, hmmm.......
Anyway, for the record, I'm darn glad you decided to continue on with the Campaign instead of opting out! Just another testament to your courage and tenacity. And, if I read your story right, obviously part of your personality. Thank you sir for your service!

Now, onto your "Incoming!!" project.
Your diagram looks good (although your stick people need to eat more. I know that 'John Wayne' is a pain to operate sometimes, but get the can open and feed those people! ). And tackling a night setting is a difficult task. I know, I have a 'Nam dio sitting unfinished on the shelf because of the difficulty factor (a night laager with two M577's parked back to back sharing a tarp, and two M113's facing the other points of the compass and the tree-line, with perimeter chainlink set up).
So, many kudos to you for taking it on.
Just please keep us all posted, O.K.?

TreadMeister.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 05:52 PM UTC
Will attach the walkman to speakers teacher!
Thanks for your encouragment treadhead, i think it will make the "night scene" part alot easier seings this is going to be a shadow box type diorama, thats another thing i wanetd to correct, i said forced perspective, i meant shadowbox, there will be no differnt scale kits in this one maybe in 10 years time
But anyway im glad you guys are looking forward to it, will keep you posted as soon as i begin, cheers!
Davinator
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 05:59 PM UTC
I don't know how available these are in Australia, but here in the states, my 8 year old daughter loves going to a store called "Build A Bear" where children are able to design their own teddy bears, bear style, clothes, etc... And I believe they have sound chips that can be installed in the bear's paws... They have many pre made sounds, songs, sayings... But I think they may have one that you can record 5 seconds or so of your own voice (or sounds)... Just give it a squeeze and they play back... Find something like that and you have a very cheap ($5 or so) and easy sound effect... No need to tie up an expensive walkman... And no headphones either... If this sounds interesting to you, let me know and I will research it more for you... :-)
druid
Visit this Community
Finland
KitMaker: 211 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the fact that Steve Irwin is manning the 105 Howitzer. Are we going to See any crocs in this dio???

I have to admit I'm looking forward to this since I'm a devoted Aussie fan and have some ties to "down" there.

As for the sound, if you have a portable CD player at hand you could create a disc with a few tracks of gunfire and whatnot and then make it loop. That way no buttons would have to be pushed once it's set up. I'm prolly going overboard here but I couldn't help suggesting.

Keep us posted mate.
 _GOTOTOP